Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-840 Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-840

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-840.

KE5DXV  Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2010 20:44  Send this review to a friend!
I love this radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have sold all my Icom Radios and I have been slowly replacing them with Yaesu Products, The FT-840 is a great transceiver and so simple to operate, completely reliable and it has great sensitivity with the narrow CW filter installed. It is small and compact for a mid 90's radio, My IC-745 weighed twice what the FT-840 does and was not nearly as easy to use or set for different Modes. I have been using the FT-840 on PSK-31 for a couple of months now and I am amazed at what 30 watts out can do, I have truely worked my way around the world. I don't try to drive it any harder, because I don't have too. When I work CW the 100 watts out is more then enough to chase any DX I try. This is a good Radio, I would recomend it to anyone that wants a simple quality transceiver with a real S-meter, dual VFO's and just enough features to make it a pleasure to operate instead of too complicated for what it does. I bought mine for $300.00 and I would not sell it for any amount, it will be on my Ham desk when I go SK, unless it goes SK first in which case I will try my very best to find another. Yeasu had a real winner and should never have stopped production of the FT-840, some day it will be as highly sought after and as collectable as my Yaesu Musen FT-7, going on 40 years old and still puts out a great signal, and amazes people when they hear the great audio and find out I am using an old FT-7. If you can find an FT-840 for less then $400.00 in good operating condition You need to really consider buying it. You won't be disapointed in fact you will be a very happy Ham.
73 George