Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Rippletech TZ-V-4 Help

Show all reviews of the Rippletech TZ-V-4

You can write your own review of the Rippletech TZ-V-4.

NR7N  Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2010 09:25  Send this review to a friend!
Superb Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a low profile 10-40M vertical and was fed up with others on the market which were loaded with stubs, capacity hats and other extremities along with 100 parts that need to be assembled..

I stumbled upon the TZ-V-4 during a web search and called Tony Burt in Australia to get more info. Tony was very helpful and he sent me an owner's manual. I ordered one directly from him and it arrived in about a week. Shipping by air from Australia to Arizona was about $80 but it's well worth it.

The antenna is elegant in its simplicity and extremely well designed and built. There are only six (6) screws and four hose clamps. I had it assembled in 15 minutes. It is extremely hard to see as the top third of the antenna is only 1/2" in diameter or so. The base section is rugged and has a SO-239 at the base so a coax pigtail (which I hate) is not needed. The inductors for the three traps are very large diameter wire (No. 6?) and are covered with a thick-wall shrink tubing and the interior impregnated with some type of adhesive for weather proofing.

Initial tuneup was almost dead on with only slight adjustments on 40M and 20M needed to zero things into the phone band. It has a full 250 KHz bandwidth on 40M at the 2:1 point.

Performance has been superb with many contacts in Asia on 40M and into Europe on 20M from my Arizona QTH. It just goes to show you what properly designed linear loading can do. The antenna length is about 19' 5".

For my two cents it's the best vertical on the market.