The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LDS Emergency Radio "ERC" Nets  (Read 121230 times)
N7ZSY

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2015, 05:22:18 PM »

So I do not want to take away from what has been said. I am LDS and have been active on and off the LDS nets for 20 years. Normally they just check in to verify the equipment is in working order.

The general public may not know this but the LDS church has one of the most robust and well prepared food distribution services available run by volunteers. The church has and will offer up its thousands of meeting houses as emergency shelters to the public if needed and distribute food and other resources likewise. The organization is very efficient and when we had a incident locally the Stake president (who oversees about 10 congregations) was able to report to the church headquarters that there were no immediate needs by members of the stake via a phone call in less then 24 hours. If there had been needs the churches local resources and volunteer efforts would have been directed to the community and aided other organizations such as the red cross.

If all the local LDS men go to check on 4 homes of members of their congregation in order to report on their welfare these are also men who will generally stop and help or get help for others in need on the way. So even if they are not specifically assigned to check on the whole neighborhood they are inadvertently doing just that. Considering that the church has also participated in scouting many of these men have basic first aid, safety, survival and other skills that were hopefully taught in scouting.

In my community I believe that if we needed a thousand volunteers and the local stake presidents made a request it would happen. That is just the way we roll.

Outside of this potential for a emergency situation I have used my radios extensively as a Scout master. I backpack with a VHF and often bring along a HF radio and we will check in and send radiograms to boys parents. I have little time to just play radio guy but in a remote wilderness it is a absolute blast to get the kids involved and that is how I got involved in radio 20 years ago.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »

N7ZSY,
I am not LDS, and I thank you!  Nice job all the way around!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:38:58 PM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N6HPO

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2016, 10:54:49 AM »

Hello All,

There was an "ERC" net [here in SoCal] recently that I tried to check into but could not due to conditions

"Colton County E.R.C", in San Bernardino County. I did a GOOGLE search on them but could not find out any info on the. The net was at 9 P.M.  on 146.910 MHz, PL 151.4...sorry, I forgot which day.

If you have any info, please post it here!

Vry 73 de Alan  Smiley
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2016, 11:06:47 AM »

All this bickering and justifications around EMCOMM are why my view of amateur radio is only as a hobby for pure passtime enjoyment.  All the Emcomm guys representing this organization and that organization with these rules and those rules, ad nauseam...phew!  I have some experience in Emcomm and won't elaborate but that's why I don't give a hoot anymore.  I am no longer an ARRL member for other reasons.  I have an FCC license which gives me the privledge to operate a radio on certain frequencies...that's it.  Who has time for the back and forth arguments to prove who's right or wrong.  Just my opinion of course, I'm sure there are predators out there waiting to pounce. In a real deep emergency most of you will stay home in your basement hoping hungry neighbors don't invade your place to get your emergency cache. Radio will be the last thing on your mind.
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2016, 01:17:11 AM »

I live in the mountains of southern California where the Mormons came through and began to populate the area with horse and wagon. The San Bernardino mountains are rich in Mormon history. Many of my neighbors are fine Mormons that would help me... after they helped their own first. The the giddy-up in the hitch. I could get into the fact that they are not Christian (Mormonism denies that there is only one God in all existence and also denies the forgiveness of sins alone in Christ alone. Therefore, it is outside Christianity. It is not a Christian religion... Because Mormonism denies the Biblical truth of who God is, who Jesus is, how forgiveness of sins is attained, and what the Gospel is, Mormonism is not Christian...) but that deviates from the main point.

There are too many emergency groups!!!

Here in southern California I operate the Southern California Emergency Communications Service Group. Besides three repeaters under my control there are others. Our repeaters are used as needed with no group allowed to claim occupancy.

My issue is that there are too may disparate groups. Red Cross, CERT, Salvation Army, County, State ERC, Mormon ERC... instead of so may different groups how about coming together? That won't happen. Each group wants to claim its piece of the pie for whatever reason. I know of one group that brags that its members are the best ICS trained in the country. I know they are because I are one. How about spreading the structured knowledge to others.
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2016, 11:43:58 PM »

" I know of one group that brags that its members are the best ICS trained in the country. I know they are because I are one."

Gota love the wanabees.

AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2016, 06:37:02 AM »

Yes, gotta love the wannabees. Some took the huge amount of free training and ended up certified as a Wildland Fire Fighter. Some have gone on to become Paid Call (PCF's) and full time FF's. Volunteers get HazMat certified. SCBA certified. S130/S190 certified, fire weather and behavior as related to S130/S190 course, a full list if ICS certifications, etc., etc. A Red Card? Yes - those that seek higher training. How about EMT? Some do - those that seek higher training. How about SAR training? Yep, some do - those that choose to extend their training. ICS-300? ICS-400? Got 'em. Red carded volunteers actually work as forward radio relays and video among other higher risk field positions. In order to work the fire ICP or camps one has to be red carded and possess full brush turn out equipment. The level of training is linked to the fact that the San Bernardino National Forest holds the record as the forest fire capitol, and the County of San Bernardino is the largest in the United States. Being a ham is not required but is definitely a plus since communications occur on the county frequencies and amateur.

As I recall the topic was LDS running their own ARES-type group that focuses on church business and
KS4VT

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2016, 04:37:16 PM »

The area I live in has a large LDS population. The LDS Church has been having a huge push to get their church members licensed as Ham Radio Operators for their "ERC" Net (Emergency Radio Communications). Their primary function is to keep church officials informed, checking on their churches, store houses and church members and then getting and organizing any help needed.
From what I hear, there is a nation wide push for the "ERC" nets.
Many of the newly licensed amateurs are also getting involved in ARES/Races. A good number will just choose to be involved in church related activity, others are intent on doing both.
I'm not LDS, but do work with the people in their ERC net. While their priority's may be more church oriented, many will also help with Ares/Races.
This is something that they are spreading from area to area, not just in my part of the world.
They hold weekend training sessions in all types of amateur type communications, mainly voice and digital.
They have got a large number of people here licensed. Most get their Tech and/or General licenses, but some have also formed GMRS nets with the help of a couple very good GMRS repeaters. Most of the people who have got their amateur licenses also get their GMRS licenses.
Our radio club group is putting up a new Yaesu Fusion repeater next to the other existing repeaters as the others are owned by people in the LDS church and we want to be sure to have our own repeater for club business as well as Ares/Races use.
Many areas have multiple repeaters, owned by a variety of people or Ares/Races/Clubs. In our case, most are operated by LDS church members, so we wanted to insure we had a separate repeater for just our club and Ares/Races.
If you are in a smaller area, it may be a good idea to find out who has control of your local repeaters as one's owed by LDS church members may be used in emergency's for church business and having to share could cause problems.
We have a good working relationship with the ERC net, which I feel benefits all. They have been very receptive to people who are not church members.
Our ARES/Races groups have seen this as an opportunity to have additional help if the time comes when it may be needed.
There is cooperation between both groups.
Although their main mission may be the Church as a whole, many will also be an asset if needed to the Ares/Races nets.
They hold training after their weekly nets to try and get their people trained in handling emergency nets.
I have seen a mix of some who are licensed and not really quite up to speed on EMCOMM, but many others are.
If you have a LDS "ERC" net in your area, it might be worth seeing if they could be an asset to your Ares/Races groups.
There is no formal agreement between the two groups, and each area will have to judge if the two groups will be an asset to each other.
Just something to know and think about.

73's John

You might want to look into what this Florida Church organization just recently did...

IG WQXN623
PALM BEACH GARDENS CHRIST FELLOWSHIP CHURCH
[Church will use the frequencies in its ministry across the state of Florida.]
Control Point 1 - 5343 Northlake Blvd, Palm Beach Gardens FL 561-373-3167
(link)
04/25/2016 License Issued
1 - FL  Statewide
 451.8      FB2I   Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 456.8      MOI    Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 464.5      FB2I   Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 464.55     FB2I   Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 451.8125   FB2I   Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 469.5      MOI    Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 469.55     MOI    Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 456.8125   MOI    Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
2 - FL  Statewide
 451.3      MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 451.325    MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 456.325    MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 451.35     MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 456.35     MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 456.3      MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 451.4      MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 456.4      MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 451.45     MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 456.45     MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 451.5      MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 456.5      MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 451.725    MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 456.725    MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE
 451.775    MO     Ant: 1   25p    14e    Units: 75                    11K2F3E 7K60FXE

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3805065
VK5CQ

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2016, 10:27:31 AM »

Yet another way that people are taking HOBBY radio and using it for semi commercial purposes. 

A genuine Emergency changes Everything.

And, why shouldn't LDS or any other community that wants to look after its members in (G-d forbid!) such an Emergency, be free to do so?

At such times, what might have been considered Church "Business" becomes Survival Activities, for the community, IMO.

LDS are to be congratulated for their efforts to prepare for unknown disasters. By doing so, they reduce the demand that would (otherwise) be put on Emerg.Services & NGO aid organisations like Red cPCross, etc.

If would be a mistake for FCC to bother them, in such situations.

PS One of my "gurus" (not in any religious sense) is a Mormon: Kirk Sorensen

See his 10-min TEDxYYC talk (given in Calgary, Canada) on TED.com
(Note: It's NOT to be found in app "TED"... It's users' loss.)

Kirk introduces Liquid Fuel (a.k.a. Fluid Fuel) Nuclear Reactors, ie,
Molten Salt Reactors (MSRs)... Reactors without Costly+Wasteful
Fuel Rods. (View his talk for the reasons why his MSR: "LFTR" is
so much better than our current ("Fukushima era") reactors.)

My 2 cents...
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »

I'm sorry VK5CQ, but your two cents is made of wood.  Wink

The issue is not one of rising to extreme occasion.  It is a matter of Planning to use the wrong service on a routine basis for inappropriate purposes.

The FCC allows the use of any frequency necessary "..For the immediate safeguarding of life and property".   Further however, amateur radio is not to be used for any purpose when other FCC authorized services are available.  Amateur radio is to be used for personal communications related to....amateur radio.

Distributing supplies, checking on property, coordinating functions, keeping church leaders informed, are not amateur related, there a multiple other FCC services which are established for just these things.  Further, once an immediate life threatening even is past, one may not continue to violate FCC regulations.

Finally, the obstacle of expense and inconvenience of obtaining appropriate licenses and certified equipment is no excuse for deliberately planning to use the amateur service.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:23:12 AM by KB4QAA » Logged
KS4VT

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2016, 05:34:50 PM »

I'm sorry VK5CQ, but your two cents is made of wood.  Wink

The issue is not one of rising to extreme occasion.  It is a matter of Planning to use the wrong service on a routine basis for inappropriate purposes.

The FCC allows the use of any frequency necessary "..For the immediate safeguarding of life and property".   Further however, amateur radio is not to be used for any purpose when other FCC authorized services are available.  Amateur radio is to be used for personal communications related to....amateur radio.

Distributing supplies, checking on property, coordinating functions, keeping church leaders informed, are not amateur related, there a multiple other FCC services which are established for just these things.  Further, once an immediate life threatening even is past, one may not continue to violate FCC regulations.

Finally, the obstacle of expense and inconvenience of obtaining appropriate licenses and certified equipment is no excuse for deliberately planning to use the amateur service.

Well said.
NY7Q

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2016, 06:39:38 AM »

ditto, well stated.
GREGWTH7MMMAG

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2016, 03:56:20 PM »

If we break it down, there are alternative sources for everything we do on ham radio, so why do we still need it?  Careful on the path we choose, as the wrong path tends to be a bit slippery on a steep slope.  Just saying.

KD0PWN
KA0USE

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2017, 05:31:46 PM »

woo! got some heat going, here!

is a radio club a business?

it conducts club business on the air.
it plans events, gives out club information on the air.
does a club need a commercial license?
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2017, 06:37:48 PM »

Excellent Question: "...is a radio club a business?"

I DO know this club in Newington, Ct...
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: