The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL Filing  (Read 4610 times)
W8JI

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2015, 07:10:26 AM »

My son just discovered a large box (25 pounds) of QSL's from my early Ham life. They span 1963 to the mid 1980's.

What is a good package method to file these things?  I was thinking of going to an office supply store today, but I have no idea what they have. Maybe someone has a good idea?

Anyone have an idea on sorting? I was kind of thinking of small file boxes that would let me sort 160M cards separate by country and then by date. All the rest would be by country and date. A lot of entities in the cards no longer exist. I'd say at least 20-30 at quick glance, not that I file for DXCC but I like to have a count just for my own collecting.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »

The craft stores like JoAnns have 4-1/2 x 8 x 11 cardboard boxes that are just high enough for the larger QSLs.

Zack W1VT
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:10:42 AM »

Staples and similar stores have these nifty black storage boxes that fit together with snaps and a lid.

They vary in size a bit, but anything that fits a European "A6" size card (4.1 inch by 5.8 inch) will work fine.  Those are the largest cards in either dimension.  I've done this twice now and have found boxes that are a reasonably close fit.

Harder is to find index cards.  Index cards for US 4x6 cards "kind of" work, since most cards are close to the sort-of US standard of 3.5 by 5.5 inches (90 by 140 mm) but those A6 cards can overlap them a little (though it usually isn't terrible).  In this application, maybe that doesn't matter.  I know for things like that, where it's just a bunch of dupes or cards I've long since "cashed in", I don't bother with index cards anyway, even though I usually sort them.  Maybe one to indicate some gross division like band or specialty things like IOTA.

Lately, when it does matter, I've been making the "gross level" index cards by hand on QSL card stock that I keep at home.  This lets me indicate (e.g.) band that you don't really get on standard index cards.  I print them up in the appropriate shape and hand trim them from an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet.  Not super-elegant, but at least the tabs are always visible.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:12:49 AM by WO7R » Logged
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 10:40:10 AM »

The boxes I have come with index cards that are taller than the big QSL cards.  They have the brand name Recollections, which is a name used by Michaels.

Zack W1VT
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 11:11:51 AM »

G3TXF's website has a picture of this nice package method, (picture taken under construction), for his QSL cards:

Oh, yeah, he also shows some really nifty metal filing cabinets in that package! See http://www.g3txf.com/QSL-Office/QSL-Off.html
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:14:53 AM by N3QE » Logged
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »

Standard Bank Box 4" x 6" Office Max or Office depot.

Perfect sizes for a standard card size.

Obie N5VYS
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 04:05:01 PM »

Shoe boxes (preferably for athletic sandals or running shoes) work for me.  My cards are no longer well organized, though.
Chuck  NI0C
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 06:13:12 PM »

I've begun thinking of the many thousands of QSL's I have as little more than kindling. They are so unorganized that putting them together in such a way as to apply for an award would take more time and effort than any award is worth to me. There are a few really awesome memories contained within those boxes in the form of QSL's but mostly, they're just forgotten and ignored like yours were until found by someone else.

K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 08:18:31 PM »

G3TXF's website has a picture of this nice package method, (picture taken under construction), for his QSL cards:

Oh, yeah, he also shows some really nifty metal filing cabinets in that package! See http://www.g3txf.com/QSL-Office/QSL-Off.html

wow, that is impressive !!!

Bob
K6UJ
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 02:56:31 AM »

I've begun thinking of the many thousands of QSL's I have as little more than kindling.

I've taken the kindling approach for years. When QSLs come in, I see if (a) I need them for some award, or (b) if they are unusually interesting. If NOT A and NOT B, they go into the circular file, or actually these days the recycling bin.

Years ago there was a great recipe for "QSL card hamburger helper" where you could have JA flavor, BY, F, I, etc....

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 03:46:21 AM »

wow, that is impressive !!!

Bob
K6UJ

ON4UN has a photo included with the CD-ROM that comes with his book that shows the same kind of setup.  I think ON4UN has about 1/2 a million cards.

Chris  NU1O

N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 06:41:01 AM »

Another option -- scan the most interesting cards into a digital photo frame and let the cards' digital imagines scroll forever while hanging on your wall or sitting on your desk. DX Engineering sells such a package. Works great.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 07:14:16 AM »

Another option -- scan the most interesting cards into a digital photo frame and let the cards' digital imagines scroll forever while hanging on your wall or sitting on your desk. DX Engineering sells such a package. Works great.

I do that, also.  In addition to scanned paper cards, I use the jpg images from eQSL.  Some of the eQSL participants have gone to great lengths to create attractive eQSL's. 
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 07:17:24 AM »

I've begun thinking of the many thousands of QSL's I have as little more than kindling.

I've taken the kindling approach for years. When QSLs come in, I see if (a) I need them for some award, or (b) if they are unusually interesting. If NOT A and NOT B, they go into the circular file, or actually these days the recycling bin.

Years ago there was a great recipe for "QSL card hamburger helper" where you could have JA flavor, BY, F, I, etc....

73 John K3TN

Ouch! I could never throw away a QSL card.
KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 07:44:17 AM »

this is what you want,

http://www.hamstuff.com/Card_Boxes/hsboxes.htm

he also sales the divider cards with the current DXCC labels.

they hold up great and fit all cards....

I've had them for 20 years.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: