The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let me tell you MY MFJ Experience...  (Read 33732 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 06:54:08 PM »

Jon,

You're entitled to your experience. It's just a shame that all your mfj experiences seem to be so negative!

On this quote:

"And speaking of being direct when speaking with someone, perhaps the folks at MFJ should be a little more direct with you, as often their comments about you, in person, are not always flattering. However given your abrasive personality I can understand why."

I know all management-level staff and many of the techs. By name. For a long time. You, on the other hand, cannot name ONE of them who has unflattering things to say about me. Richard, Randy, and Martin, for instance, have discussed your anti-MFJ comments on eHam versus the lamb you are in person at Dayron several times. It's humorous!

Have all the negative MFJ experiences you want, Jon. We know you'll be willing to post them here on eHam. But most of their customer base simply appreciates a good price-point when they see one.

I bought an Ameritron 6 port remote antenna switch via DX Engineering.  Upon arrival I opened it up, and found at least one relay armature dislodged to excessive handling during shipment. Easy fix.  I checked all the relays, and found one with distorted contact spacing on one pole (very short throw range.)  The factory said they'd have a replacement out as soon as it was ready (N Fittings) and they also provided a return label for the defective box.  Can't complain. 

I see they have a modification where you can short the unused antenna ports when deselected--that may improve the port to port isolation for those who need it.

Pete

Hi,

Years ago I purchased an Ameritron 6 Port Remote Switch, the isolation between ports was terrible.  I did the grounding modification but it did not help at all, still terrible isolation between ports.  I eventually purchased the DXEngineering remote antenna switch, which has excellent isolation.  I do use the Ameritron control box to switch 6 of the DXE's 8 ports, as I only need to switch 4 antennas.  I just thought that "inquiring minds" might want to know.... Grin

John     

Frank,

Please note that the Title of this thread is "Let me tell you MY MFJ Experience".  It is a shame that you feel I am not permitted to give MY EXPERIENCE and address a specific comment in the post by K1ZJH, addressing HIS specific comment about "isolation", and a modification.  But as usual you ignore the total content my entire post and go off on one of your MFJ hater trolling tangents.  Anyone reading the Post by K1ZJH and my reply (except YOU), can see my reply was a DIRECT REPLY on the specific topic.   

And speaking of being direct when speaking with someone, perhaps the folks at MFJ should be a little more direct with you, as often their comments about you, in person, are not always flattering. However given your abrasive personality I can understand why.   

If you wish to continue on this subject have at it, but for me I "addressed a specific comment in the post by K1ZJH, addressing HIS specific comment about "isolation", and a modification", which BTW had NOTHING to do with you, so I am finished.  YOU SIR ARE A TROLL.

John W5JON

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »

.....But most of their customer base simply appreciates a good price-point when they see one.....

Yes, on that part we all agree.   And that's been the problem.

You can lash out at the opposing views all you like, call all the names you like, but it doesn't change many peoples' experience with MFJ over the years.

If you want glowing and unopposed MFJ remarks here, take out an ad....I'm sure the mods will be very happy to oblige.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:17:20 PM by K9MHZ » Logged
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 09:15:44 PM »

I work in the Federal government radio area and we use a lot of MFJ products. Out of all that we buy and use I have had to fix one, a cold solder joint. The MFJ on-line tech was great. No issues from us.
M0KFO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 12:49:44 AM »

If people don't like MFJ stuff, why do they continue to buy it? So that they can continue to complain?

I like MFJ stuff, it is comparatively cheap and they have a great range of products. I have a mixture of new and s/h. The only one that had a problem was the s/h unit, and the guy obviously sold it to me knowing there were problems (he held a full licence).

But when I raised a ticket with MFJ, they told me about the parts, said give them my address and they will send them to the UK FOC.

Knowing that the unit was second hand and probably getting on for 15 years old (MFJ-969).

I really can't complain. Plus there is always room to work inside the casing on their products, so if you need to use a screwdriver, spanner or iron, it is relatively easy. I wish all companies were like that.

2E0TPO
KJ3N

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 08:49:13 AM »

If people don't like MFJ stuff, why do they continue to buy it? So that they can continue to complain?

Hams are notoriously cheap bastards; that's why.
AD0AR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 11:00:36 PM »

Here's a big surprise for me. I ordered a MFJ-4416b  MFJ Super battery booster.  The manual does have a PWB and Schematic included! (NOT the surprise- read on)
  The schematic pointed out that the BOM (build of materials) uses a pair of mosfets to boost the power.  The part that was called out for the mosfet is the MTP3055V with a Id of 12A and a pulsed Id (Idm) of 37A. 
  I have been looking around for a replacement part that I could swap out for something a little bit bigger so I would not be pushing these things to their limit in my go box radio setup with a IC-7k and tuner. 
  MFJ rates these super boosters at only 25A PEAK.  I know darn well with the AB5N mic mod that I can pull that much current quite easily on my SSB peaks as before the mod I was seeing 23A peaks, now I see 25A+ peaks. 
  I don't like to run anything at it's peak as I know that it shortens the life of the components AND I was not too impressed with the RDS(on) of the MTP3055V mosfets at about .15ohms. (more heat being generated- not as efficient)
  There are many other mosfets that sport much less on resistance that those, so I was on the lookout for those while also looking for one with about double (24A) Id rating. 
  Upon opening up the unit when I got it for the obvious reasons for the personal quality check AND adjust the 3 jumpers to my taste, I noticed that the switching mosfets weren't the ones called out in the BOM, but are some FDP55N06  mosfets. 
  After reading up the specs on these-  HOLY COW MFJ did their homework!!!! 
Comparison between parts:   
 MTP3055V Original RDS (ON)  :  .150 ohms    Id 12A cont. 37A pulsed
 FDP55N06 New part RDS (ON):  .018 ohms    Id  55A cont. 220A pulsed

That is amazing specs for a mosfet!  I don't need to swap anything out there! 
  As I just got the unit and I don't want to ignore my family, I will tend to their needs before I put this thing through it's paces. 
  Just thought I'd let you operators out there know that in this case MFJ did their homework and I sure hope this little box does what it supposed to do ;-)
AD0AR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 12:07:09 PM »

Results of the evaluation of a MFJ-4416b
Well with the new parts this thing is efficient!  The only thing I see getting warm under a 1 minute deluge of full power RTTY on my IC 7000 is obviously the 7000 is HOT, and the windings of the toroids in the super booster are just a little warmer than room temperature. Heatsinks indicated no increase in surface temperature.
Voltage stayed within 1/100 ov a volt at the output of the unit.  Spike has been observed when it first turns on,  Spike is around 14.6V
  Unit does have a crowbar protection circuit designed to crowbar the output @ 15V.

ON current draw is around only 30mA, obviously with no load on it. 
  Since this thingy uses either a manual pushbutton or a RF trigger to allow it to boost thus only during a TX cycle will it be boosting, having a IC-7000 we all have that problem, do I put the RF sense on the HF or V/UHF side?  You can only choose one and HF by far uses the most power. 
  I on the other hand am a purist.  The manual pushbutton control simply closes a single set of contacts. It grounds a control line.  So to keep things simple, I can take the Hsend and Vsend wires from the ACC port on the 7000, use diodes to isolate them by making an OR gate and tie them together to the control line so when the radio sends either to ground, the OR gate made by the two diodes will ground the control line and power the booster up on both HF and V/UHF lines. 
Viola!  No RF T needed for auto boost. 
  RFI is present on the 60M and 40M bands, but it is very negligible whistles but they are moving, hence why I plan to use the auto boost on TX only feature described above. 
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 06:35:32 AM »

What would we do without MFJ? They aren't perfect - their quality control needs improving, their ordering system isn't great, and they can be difficult to contact - but where else would we get many of these types of products? And it's made in the U.S.

I've bought over 35 boxes of one sort or another from MFJ and have been delighted with most of them.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 06:55:06 AM »

What would we do without MFJ? They aren't perfect - their quality control needs improving, their ordering system isn't great, and they can be difficult to contact - but where else would we get many of these types of products? And it's made in the U.S.

I've bought over 35 boxes of one sort or another from MFJ and have been delighted with most of them.

I'd do the same thing I've been doing for the last 36 years.  Buy something that has much better quality for a slightly higher price.  I'd be 100% satisfied with all of my purchases, instead of just "most of them."

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 07:15:49 AM »

I've had the good fortune to read about them here. So I  don't see myself ordering from them.

Maybe when I'm retired, I'll find it amusing to buy products in 'kit form'.
K4PDM

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 02:45:07 AM »

I'd do the same thing I've been doing for the last 36 years.  Buy something that has much better quality for a slightly higher price.  I'd be 100% satisfied with all of my purchases, instead of just "most of them."

How much do you think your "slightly higher price" would increase if there were no competitor like MFJ providing good quality for less money?

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 07:15:04 AM »

It won't work so I just package it up and send it back for refund or repair (any brand), appears to be the watch phrase of a lot of hams today. Actually MFJ products especially the kits are the best deal going for those few hams left that actually want to learn what makes their gear tick and how to repair same which may later come in handy if they eventually purchase higher end gear. Plug and Play boys please disregard.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »

EVERY vendor or manufacturer has less than 100% QC quality, regardless of the price! Just carefully read the eHam reviews with an objective eye....you'll find many other vendors at significantly higher prices have their detractors. Just a note on your point here.

Frank
K4FMH

I'd do the same thing I've been doing for the last 36 years.  Buy something that has much better quality for a slightly higher price.  I'd be 100% satisfied with all of my purchases, instead of just "most of them."

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 11:00:27 AM »

EVERY vendor or manufacturer has less than 100% QC quality, regardless of the price! Just carefully read the eHam reviews with an objective eye....you'll find many other vendors at significantly higher prices have their detractors. Just a note on your point here.

Frank
K4FMH

If I have a problem with something I've purchased from Jay at Array Solutions, I can be assured that I will get an exchange or a refund with no issues.   I can be assured that if Jay is not available, I can leave a message and get a return phone call from Jay.  If something was missing in the box, and I call Array Solutions, I can be assured that it will be sent out that day, no charge.   

If I have a problem with something I've purchased from DX Engineering, I can be assured that I will get an exchange or a refund with no issues.   If something was missing in the box, and I call DX Engineering, I can be assured that it will be sent out the next day.  DX Engineering will also email me and ask me to take a customer satisfaction survey.  Has Martin Jue ever emailed a customer and asked them to take a customer satisfaction survey? 

Can Martin Jue assure me of things like that? 

So I will pay a slightly higher price and have a much better shot at 100% customer satisfaction. 

Can Martin Jue do that? 

What is Martin Jue's overall customer satisfaction?   Judging by the eHam reviews, it isn't great, is it?   At least Array Solutions and DX Engineering come close. 

Feel free to continue to find the cheapest items possible.  I'd much rather pay more and be assured of a better customer experience.

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 01:40:05 PM »

But you're cherry-picking one vendor...who hardly offers 2,000 products like MFJ. My ONLY point was independent of MFJ or Array Solutions or any single vendor. Pruce does NOT guarantee 100% QC. That was it, period. Carefully study the reviews systematically and you'll see that.

Frank
K4FMH

Frank
K4FMH

If I have a problem with something I've purchased from Jay at Array Solutions, I can be assured that I will get an exchange or a refund with no issues.   I can be assured that if Jay is not available, I can leave a message and get a return phone call from Jay.  If something was missing in the box, and I call Array Solutions, I can be assured that it will be sent out that day, no charge.   

If I have a problem with something I've purchased from DX Engineering, I can be assured that I will get an exchange or a refund with no issues.   If something was missing in the box, and I call DX Engineering, I can be assured that it will be sent out the next day.  DX Engineering will also email me and ask me to take a customer satisfaction survey.  Has Martin Jue ever emailed a customer and asked them to take a customer satisfaction survey? 

Can Martin Jue assure me of things like that? 

So I will pay a slightly higher price and have a much better shot at 100% customer satisfaction. 

Can Martin Jue do that? 

What is Martin Jue's overall customer satisfaction?   Judging by the eHam reviews, it isn't great, is it?   At least Array Solutions and DX Engineering come close. 

Feel free to continue to find the cheapest items possible.  I'd much rather pay more and be assured of a better customer experience.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: