The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let me tell you MY MFJ Experience...  (Read 33391 times)
K4PDM

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 04:28:28 AM »

Buy your MFJ products from DX Engineering since they are so great (and they are.)
That's what I did.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2016, 08:56:27 AM »

But you're cherry-picking one vendor...who hardly offers 2,000 products like MFJ. My ONLY point was independent of MFJ or Array Solutions or any single vendor. Pruce does NOT guarantee 100% QC. That was it, period. Carefully study the reviews systematically and you'll see that.

Frank
K4FMH

EVERY vendor or manufacturer has less than 100% QC quality, regardless of the price! Just carefully read the eHam reviews with an objective eye....you'll find many other vendors at significantly higher prices have their detractors. Just a note on your point here.

Frank
K4FMH

What would we do without MFJ? They aren't perfect - their quality control needs improving, their ordering system isn't great, and they can be difficult to contact - but where else would we get many of these types of products? And it's made in the U.S.

I've bought over 35 boxes of one sort or another from MFJ and have been delighted with most of them.

I'd do the same thing I've been doing for the last 36 years.  Buy something that has much better quality for a slightly higher price.  I'd be 100% satisfied with all of my purchases, instead of just "most of them."

If I have a problem with something I've purchased from Jay at Array Solutions, I can be assured that I will get an exchange or a refund with no issues.   I can be assured that if Jay is not available, I can leave a message and get a return phone call from Jay.  If something was missing in the box, and I call Array Solutions, I can be assured that it will be sent out that day, no charge.   

If I have a problem with something I've purchased from DX Engineering, I can be assured that I will get an exchange or a refund with no issues.   If something was missing in the box, and I call DX Engineering, I can be assured that it will be sent out the next day.  DX Engineering will also email me and ask me to take a customer satisfaction survey.  Has Martin Jue ever emailed a customer and asked them to take a customer satisfaction survey? 

Can Martin Jue assure me of things like that? 

So I will pay a slightly higher price and have a much better shot at 100% customer satisfaction. 

Can Martin Jue do that? 

What is Martin Jue's overall customer satisfaction?   Judging by the eHam reviews, it isn't great, is it?   At least Array Solutions and DX Engineering come close. 

Feel free to continue to find the cheapest items possible.  I'd much rather pay more and be assured of a better customer experience.

I mentioned TWO vendors.  Yow know for sure that MFJ carries 2000 products?  Did you count them?   There is a thread on qrz.com where someone has been waiting two weeks for parts to ship.  Do you think that just because a company carries 2000 products, that it's okay to delay shipping something for two weeks?   So that's "1000 products per week."   So if a company carries 4000 products, it would be okay to wait a month to ship something?   

How many products does DX Engineering carry?   And what are their customer service ratings?   There is even a thread here about how good their customer service is.  And they do have great service.  I can order something today and if it's in stock (it usually is - if you order online the site will tell you it's in stock - what a concept!), it will ship TODAY.  Can you say that about MFJ?   

If I'm cherry picking, then answer my questions about MFJ.  Why are MFJ's customer service ratings in the toilet?   Why are there so many complaints about their quality?   

Again, I ask, if I leave a message for someone at MFJ, will they call back?  Has Martin Jue ever mailed or emailed a customer satisfaction survey post sale and ask for input?   Is he afraid of the response he will get?

Feel free to cherry pick your responses to inflate MFJ to something they are not.

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2016, 06:33:26 AM »

Try to focus on my point.

Yes, I know mfj offers 2,000 products. This comes from the owner as well as the guy who manages both their catalog and their website production.

MY ONLY POINT WAS THAT, IN CONTRAST TO YOUR STATEMENT ABOUT SPENDING MORE TO GURANTEE QUALITY CONTROL, IS THAT THIS RELATIONSHIP DOES NOT GUARANTEE 100% QC!

That is all. I've repeated that point.

Frank
K4FMH

But you're cherry-picking one vendor...who hardly offers 2,000 products like MFJ. My ONLY point was independent of MFJ or Array Solutions or any single vendor. Pruce does NOT guarantee 100% QC. That was it, period. Carefully study the reviews systematically and you'll see that.

Frank
K4FMH

EVERY vendor or manufacturer has less than 100% QC quality, regardless of the price! Just carefully read the eHam reviews with an objective eye....you'll find many other vendors at significantly higher prices have their detractors. Just a note on your point here.

Frank
K4FMH

What would we do without MFJ? They aren't perfect - their quality control needs improving, their ordering system isn't great, and they can be difficult to contact - but where else would we get many of these types of products? And it's made in the U.S.

I've bought over 35 boxes of one sort or another from MFJ and have been delighted with most of them.

I'd do the same thing I've been doing for the last 36 years.  Buy something that has much better quality for a slightly higher price.  I'd be 100% satisfied with all of my purchases, instead of just "most of them."

If I have a problem with something I've purchased from Jay at Array Solutions, I can be assured that I will get an exchange or a refund with no issues.   I can be assured that if Jay is not available, I can leave a message and get a return phone call from Jay.  If something was missing in the box, and I call Array Solutions, I can be assured that it will be sent out that day, no charge.   

If I have a problem with something I've purchased from DX Engineering, I can be assured that I will get an exchange or a refund with no issues.   If something was missing in the box, and I call DX Engineering, I can be assured that it will be sent out the next day.  DX Engineering will also email me and ask me to take a customer satisfaction survey.  Has Martin Jue ever emailed a customer and asked them to take a customer satisfaction survey? 

Can Martin Jue assure me of things like that? 

So I will pay a slightly higher price and have a much better shot at 100% customer satisfaction. 

Can Martin Jue do that? 

What is Martin Jue's overall customer satisfaction?   Judging by the eHam reviews, it isn't great, is it?   At least Array Solutions and DX Engineering come close. 

Feel free to continue to find the cheapest items possible.  I'd much rather pay more and be assured of a better customer experience.

I mentioned TWO vendors.  Yow know for sure that MFJ carries 2000 products?  Did you count them?   There is a thread on qrz.com where someone has been waiting two weeks for parts to ship.  Do you think that just because a company carries 2000 products, that it's okay to delay shipping something for two weeks?   So that's "1000 products per week."   So if a company carries 4000 products, it would be okay to wait a month to ship something?   

How many products does DX Engineering carry?   And what are their customer service ratings?   There is even a thread here about how good their customer service is.  And they do have great service.  I can order something today and if it's in stock (it usually is - if you order online the site will tell you it's in stock - what a concept!), it will ship TODAY.  Can you say that about MFJ?   

If I'm cherry picking, then answer my questions about MFJ.  Why are MFJ's customer service ratings in the toilet?   Why are there so many complaints about their quality?   

Again, I ask, if I leave a message for someone at MFJ, will they call back?  Has Martin Jue ever mailed or emailed a customer satisfaction survey post sale and ask for input?   Is he afraid of the response he will get?

Feel free to cherry pick your responses to inflate MFJ to something they are not.

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2016, 03:44:32 PM »

Yes, I know mfj offers 2,000 products. This comes from the owner as well as the guy who manages both their catalog and their website production.

MY ONLY POINT WAS THAT, IN CONTRAST TO YOUR STATEMENT ABOUT SPENDING MORE TO GURANTEE QUALITY CONTROL, IS THAT THIS RELATIONSHIP DOES NOT GUARANTEE 100% QC!

Frank
K4FMH

And I'll repeat my point.  Any other ham radio company is much closer to 100% QC than MFJ ever will be. 

Goodbye

Tom, N2SR

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 06:46:12 PM »

Actually, Tom, your original point was "I'd do the same thing I've been doing for the last 36 years.  Buy something that has much better quality for a slightly higher price.  I'd be 100% satisfied with all of my purchases, instead of just "most of them."

My original response was that you are wrong. Higher price will never yield 100% QC satisfaction. Period. Large literature on this topic in manufacturing.

Have a nice day.

Frank
K4FMH

Frank
K4FMH

And I'll repeat my point.  Any other ham radio company is much closer to 100% QC than MFJ ever will be. 

Goodbye

Tom, N2SR

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 03:00:14 AM »

Actually, Tom, your original point was "I'd do the same thing I've been doing for the last 36 years.  Buy something that has much better quality for a slightly higher price.  I'd be 100% satisfied with all of my purchases, instead of just "most of them."

My original response was that you are wrong. Higher price will never yield 100% QC satisfaction. Period. Large literature on this topic in manufacturing.

Have a nice day.

Frank
K4FMH

Frank
K4FMH

Goodbye

Tom, N2SR

So a circular discussion.

How does "100% satisfaction" equal "100% quality control?"   Keep repeating your incorrect assumptions Frank, because you are indeed wrong. 

My comment was "100% customer satisfaction."   I never said, "100% quality control."   

As I have repeated several times, if I open a box from DX Engineering or Array Solutions or probably any other manufacturer (even a non-ham radio box from Amazon) and something is missing, broken, etc, I can call them up and it will be replaced or a new one sent out THAT DAY.   

I'll ask you again, since you haven't answered my questions:  Would MFJ do that?   Is MFJ capable of sending out replacement parts of an order that they did not have "100% quality control" on the SAME DAY that you call them and explain the problem?   

Go read the thread on qrz.com about the guy waiting for MFJ to send the missing parts for his antenna.   It's been over TWO WEEKS now.   

DX Engineering typically sends out an email inquiring about "100% customer satisfaction."  It's a survey.  Has MFJ ever done that?   Is Martin Jue worried about the results?   

Have a wonderful day Frank. 

Tom, N2SR

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 06:24:02 AM »

Tom,

Ok, you did not say QC but 100% satisfaction. Indeed, there are many, many elements of customer satisfaction. My point is even stronger as slightly higher price (you DID say that) will not guarantee 100% satisfaction! There is a vast manufacturing literature on this, Tom, that goes well beyond your personal experiences.

Your statement about same-day replacement is patently false except under periodic circumstances. Parts not in stock? DXE makes some of their products but resells far more products from other manufacturers (MFJ being one of them). Btw, DXE only has great shipping service because of their companion racing company's business. A ham radio-only company would never be able to do this and maintain competitive pricing.  Amazon sending a replacement same-day? Even Prime customers don't get that, even with products that they fulfill themselves. Just READ the customer reviews on Amazon! I'm less familiar with Array Solutions as I've not purchased one of their products.

My comments, Tom, have nothing to do with any specific company! You simply cannot buy either 100% customer satisfaction (or QC, for that matter) by spending "slightly higher prices" (you did say that). But you must be willing to read and study the reviews beyond your own experiences. This is hardly a circular argument but one outside of your narrow perspective.

Have an even better day, Tom.

Frank
K4FMH

How does "100% satisfaction" equal "100% quality control?"   Keep repeating your incorrect assumptions Frank, because you are indeed wrong. 

My comment was "100% customer satisfaction."   I never said, "100% quality control."   

As I have repeated several times, if I open a box from DX Engineering or Array Solutions or probably any other manufacturer (even a non-ham radio box from Amazon) and something is missing, broken, etc, I can call them up and it will be replaced or a new one sent out THAT DAY.   

I'll ask you again, since you haven't answered my questions:  Would MFJ do that?   Is MFJ capable of sending out replacement parts of an order that they did not have "100% quality control" on the SAME DAY that you call them and explain the problem?   

Go read the thread on qrz.com about the guy waiting for MFJ to send the missing parts for his antenna.   It's been over TWO WEEKS now.   

DX Engineering typically sends out an email inquiring about "100% customer satisfaction."  It's a survey.  Has MFJ ever done that?   Is Martin Jue worried about the results?   

Have a wonderful day Frank. 

Tom, N2SR
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 07:57:26 AM »

Hey Tom, I'm surprised you haven't been called a "troll" or "hater" for daring to honestly disagree with Frank.  You know, I think Frank's made some real progress this session.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 05:56:18 AM »

Tom,

Ok, you did not say QC but 100% satisfaction. Indeed, there are many, many elements of customer satisfaction. My point is even stronger as slightly higher price (you DID say that) will not guarantee 100% satisfaction! There is a vast manufacturing literature on this, Tom, that goes well beyond your personal experiences.

Your statement about same-day replacement is patently false except under periodic circumstances. Parts not in stock? DXE makes some of their products but resells far more products from other manufacturers (MFJ being one of them). Btw, DXE only has great shipping service because of their companion racing company's business. A ham radio-only company would never be able to do this and maintain competitive pricing.  Amazon sending a replacement same-day? Even Prime customers don't get that, even with products that they fulfill themselves. Just READ the customer reviews on Amazon! I'm less familiar with Array Solutions as I've not purchased one of their products.

My comments, Tom, have nothing to do with any specific company! You simply cannot buy either 100% customer satisfaction (or QC, for that matter) by spending "slightly higher prices" (you did say that). But you must be willing to read and study the reviews beyond your own experiences. This is hardly a circular argument but one outside of your narrow perspective.

Have an even better day, Tom.

Frank
K4FMH

Frank,

So now you are changing your tune.  Sure, nothing is 100% guaranteed, even with life in general. 

I'm not talking about anything that DX Engineering resells.  I'm talking stuff that DX Engineering strictly manufactures themselves.  You can go on their website, bring something up, and see right there - before you place your order - whether it is in stock or not.  Can MFJ and all their other associated companies, Hy-gain, Cushcraft, Ameritron, etc, do the same thing?   

How do you equate same day replacement with great shipping service?  Their same day shipping/replacement is because of good customer service, not because they are associated with Summit Racing.  So your statement is deceitful and false.  DXE Engineering MAY have good shipping prices (spend $100 and get free shipping) because they are associated with Summit Racing.  But they've been associated with Summit Racing since they started, and it's only been in the last few years that they offered free shipping for orders over $100.  Another false statement from you.

A ham radio only company would never be able to do that?  Guess you haven't purchased anything from Array Solutions - a ham radio only company - have you?  Oh yea, you haven't.  Another false statement. 

Spending a little more money can buy me much more customer satisfaction than I and others would ever get with Mighty Fine Junk.   

Still no comments from you about the lack of a customer satisfaction survey from MFJ.  Hmm...guess I'm totally correct about that, eh?   So what is Martin Jue afraid of?   

Why don't you answer my questions Frank?  What are you afraid of? 

Buh-bye.

Tom, N2SR

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 08:59:29 AM »

What would we do without MFJ?

Who is "we"?

I have been a radio amateur since 1967 - 49 years - and I've NEVER bought nor used ANY MFJ product in my station. Not one.

They have some good ideas for products, but the execution is....not so good.

Vote with your wallet. Quality over quantity.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AF7JA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 05:40:13 AM »

I recently ordered a power-supply from MFJ, it arrived and it worked. I really didn't expect anything more or less.

Most people don't post these types of experiences; because, frankly, the're boring.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2016, 09:38:26 AM »

I recently ordered a power-supply from MFJ, it arrived and it worked. I really didn't expect anything more or less.
Most people don't post these types of experiences; because, frankly, the're boring.

It's always the case.  People in the services industry especially know the saying: "Have a good experience and the customer will tell one person.  Have a bad experience, and he'll tell ten."   I'm not so sure I have a problem with that, though. Something that works as promised should be the boilerplate standard of performance.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:11:44 PM by K9MHZ » Logged
KC8HS

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 10:24:12 AM »

Hi Frank.  I would like to know if you are this loyal to any other companies or just MFJ and why or why not. Thanks
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 04:08:48 PM »

Excellent question.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »

Guys! Let me repeat in s-l-o-w English....

My point, that I've repeated several times in this thread, was to Tom N2SR's post had NOTHING TO DO WITH MFJ. Period. Or DXE. Or AA. It had to do with Tom's written statement:

"I'd do the same thing I've been doing for the last 36 years.  Buy something that has much better quality for a slightly higher price.  I'd be 100% satisfied with all of my purchases, instead of just "most of them."

My point, once again, is that a slightly higher price will never yield 100% satisfaction with all of one's purchases. That may be Tom's experience. He says it is. But he posted it in response to another hams post about what would amateurs do without MFJ?

Two additional points, Tommy Boy. Some of us aren't on eHam.net every day since you harangued me about a few days's delay in my response...some of us have family funerals to attend out of state that are a lot more important than a ham radio website's Forum. A second point is that, while I don't speak for Martin, I've heard him say publicly several times: if you don't want to buy his products, he doesn't want you to have it.

Frank
K4FMH
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: