The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2nd Gen Tacoma Dual Band Install  (Read 14748 times)
KG7TBQ

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2015, 03:32:31 PM »

Hey guys, this is my first post on here. For the most part, I have just been lurking around trying to learn as much stuff as possible. I am just posting this for a few friends who wanted to see my install. Maybe this will help someone else too.

I have an 05 Tacoma, started out with a Yaesu ft-1900. After a couple months, it got boring and wanted to go to a dual band with a separation kit so I can have a more central spot to mount the display. Trying to find a spot for that 1900 was like trying to figure out how to mount a brick. Here is how the 1900 was mounted:

Then onto the 8800:
I mounted the unit under the driver seat with the data port, 3.5mm jack port and power facing toward the front of the truck. Its easy to access and plug the programming cable into.

I ran the separation cable from there, under the door plastic trim and up under the dash by the steering wheel. From there I fed it up into the head unit area. For the display, I just used 3M double sides tape and it works almost too well. I didn't make to make an elaborate bracket to hold it in the lower din slot.

And there you have it. One thing I miss about the 1900 is the perfectly loud stock speaker and the back-lit buttons. I did go out and purchase an external speaker which solved the problem.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:10:53 PM »

Did you cop that 1900 install point from me over at TacomaWorld? J/K
I mounted my scanner under the wheel area way back in 2009 but the TW pic is from 2010. I did it for sheer lack of a better spot. Been there 7 years and no problem. Just watch the Toyota techs when you go for service-they like to mess with your rigs.
BTW mine is a 1st-gen truck with a bit more room under there than yours it seems.

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
KG7TBQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:13:11 PM »

HAHAHA, nice! I'm a TW member, but never saw anyone else do that. I stole the idea from a friend with a dodge 2500. I'm 6'4 and never had an issue with hitting it. Only thing was I would brush the dial with the loose part of my jeans and not realize I flipped through channels.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:16:01 PM by KG7TBQ » Logged
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 07:41:35 AM »

Well you have a neat setup in your Tacoma. You should put up a pic of the antennas too to show others who may need mount ideas on a Tacoma.

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
K5ACL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 09:56:08 AM »

Interesting! I have a 2nd gen Tacoma as well, 2013 and I've been contemplating where I want to install everything. I have an access cab and the rear doesn't really get used so I've been wanting to put it behind me, and then route the audio to an external speaker in the front cab.

I've just been holding off because the XYL said we may end up getting a bigger truck, unfortunately the Taco doesn't pull much-I think mine is rated at 3,500 lbs max, we've been wanting to find a small (19-21 foot) RV that the Taco could pull, but it's proving tough to find one (a decent one anyways in our price range Smiley

KG7TBQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 10:31:40 AM »

Well you have a neat setup in your Tacoma. You should put up a pic of the antennas too to show others who may need mount ideas on a Tacoma.

Thanks. It is mounted on my roof with an NMO. Not many people like cutting the roof, but I have no problem with it and it has never leaked water in. I don't have any great pics of it, but here is this one: Its a Browing Br-150 tuned at 146. Not the best antenna, but cheap and so far it has performed great. With all the off roading I do, i hit tree branches with it at pretty high speed, so i go through them about once every 6 months. I also have a BR-180 dual band in the truck, but it's not very flexible and I rarely use UHF, but it is nice to have the ability.

Here is the antenna setup I have for when we are desert racing, or just feel like working guys a far ways out. I have a couple home brew j-poles, but this one in the pic is a KV9VBR J-pole. Works great and is collapsible.
KG7TBQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »

Interesting! I have a 2nd gen Tacoma as well, 2013 and I've been contemplating where I want to install everything. I have an access cab and the rear doesn't really get used so I've been wanting to put it behind me, and then route the audio to an external speaker in the front cab.

I've just been holding off because the XYL said we may end up getting a bigger truck, unfortunately the Taco doesn't pull much-I think mine is rated at 3,500 lbs max, we've been wanting to find a small (19-21 foot) RV that the Taco could pull, but it's proving tough to find one (a decent one anyways in our price range Smiley

Oh yea, I hear you on the towing stuff. I have tow package on mine rated at 6500lb, but anything over 3000, it sucks to pull. Well pulling anything behind the taco sucks compared to bigger trucks. I do a lot of towing (Boats, bikes, camping, project trucks) and the taco struggles. I will be moving up to a full size truck after I graduate college. I hooked up to my dads big trailer just to see how it does... After that, I decided to stick with pulling my 5x10 trailer.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 05:28:19 PM »

Super nice Tacoma! Good job on the antennas too-on that big one how'd you ground it with that composite bed? Did you run a #6 shorty to the frame?
Far as towing with those oversize tires/wheels you'd have to regear to compensate. Your motor has good power.
One time I hauled 1830lbs of yard materials in mine no sweat at all and chris4x4 over at TW chewed my butt for it-he said I could've blown out my non-floating axle rear end with that much weight on it. Guess I was lucky.
But sorry the OT back in it now:)

KG7TBQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 08:45:34 PM »

Super nice Tacoma! Good job on the antennas too-on that big one how'd you ground it with that composite bed? Did you run a #6 shorty to the frame?
Far as towing with those oversize tires/wheels you'd have to regear to compensate. Your motor has good power.
One time I hauled 1830lbs of yard materials in mine no sweat at all and chris4x4 over at TW chewed my butt for it-he said I could've blown out my non-floating axle rear end with that much weight on it. Guess I was lucky.
But sorry the OT back in it now:)

Thanks! It isn't grounded to the bed. It is for temporary stationary set up (set up/take down) for desert racing. It runs to my mobile in my truck. And the tires are only 265's which are just over 31". It has plenty of power and torque, but I get spoiled when I borrow my dads dodge.
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 11:06:28 AM »

Very nice install, thanks for posting pictures.  I especially like the under-seat mount, very clever.

- Dan
AA4JR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »

I have my Kenwood TM-V71A velcroed to the carpet under the drivers seat in my 2014 Double Cab. Head unit is Velcroed to the steering column. Bought a Road Pro external speaker and stuck it in the small cubby between the stereo and steering wheel.
KG7OOM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 05:06:14 PM »

Michael,

What kind of pole are you using to raise that Jpole? I am interested in replicating your setup. I also own a Tacoma DBL Crew with a Yaesu FT857D and the ATAS 120A. I have to work on bonding as I am getting some noise.

Cheers!

Rob
KG7TBQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 02:33:33 PM »

Michael,

What kind of pole are you using to raise that Jpole? I am interested in replicating your setup. I also own a Tacoma DBL Crew with a Yaesu FT857D and the ATAS 120A. I have to work on bonding as I am getting some noise.

Cheers!

I own a lighting company and we have been getting into emergency response/construction/ect scene lights and I just used the same pole that we use to hold up the lights. Light weight and collapses to to half of the extended size. The one in the picture is an 8' that doubles to 16'. I have seen poles similar to what I use at Homedepot in the painting section. They are the pole extensions that are 4', 6' and 8' and double in size. They are around $35 if I can recall. I made 2 mounts for it in my truck bed. I mounted them towards the end of the bed. I will post up a picture here soon. Hope this helps.

EDIT** Here is the added picture.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:54:12 PM by KG7TBQ » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: