The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT817ND Owners Question  (Read 5366 times)
K1WJ

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:46:26 AM »

Drive with supplied hand mic  seems low. Where do you keep your mic gain for ssb? Seems like it needs to be set at 90. I changed the mic to the one that came with the 1st edition of the FT450 drive seems better. ALC indication seems vague in manual. 73 K1WJ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »

Common issue, you're not alone.

I've made mods to my own FT-817ND, mostly to the microphone itself, to improve this.

Join this and search for the mike mods; they work.

http://www.yaesuft817.com/

K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 01:14:06 PM »

Last night had 40m QRP QSO with 817ND, used MH67 mic at 100% mic gain, had a good report of Audio with punch, happy to hear. Others, Mic gain setting in SSB?    73   K1WJ
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 03:27:01 PM »

That is why these DYC-817 inline mic compressors are popular. I have one myself.

http://www.box73.com/product/4
KG9H

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 05:49:18 AM »

I "found" a new HC-4 that I finally installed in the supplied hand mic.  Did a marvelous job on the overall response.  I now can reduce the mic gain to a much lower value on SSB.  I still believe that the radio on SSB needs a compressor but I am generally happy with the mic gain and response on SSB.  I mostly listen on SSB and AM and operate (transmit) CW.  I got this used many years ago and did check the bias on the PA amp (it was fine) and the driver (that .... was mis-aligned).  After re-adjusting the bias on the driver, I am again very happy with my 817.  I have the plain version.  You have seen my radio a few times in QST (I was the one on a 44' sailboat in the Caribbean) for in a Yaesu advertisement.  Frank KG9H
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:02:46 AM »

Last night held 22 minute QSO on 17m, Combination of the MH67 mic and SSB mic gain at 100% yields good reports, operator in MO told me my FT817ND sounds great ! Don't change a thing ! Still interested in hearing what other operators are using for mics and ssb mic gain settings on 817ND. 73
W6KKO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 10:22:22 AM »

I use a discontinued Heil Improved Traveler Headset (HTSS). I pair that with a FUNKAMATEUR DYC-8X7 compressor kit. Individually they work well, together they provide quite a kick. I typically work Single Op Portable for the ARRL VHF contests and the difference is significant with those two items on SSB. It does require me to turn down the mic gain to 20 though. On FM I turn off the compressor.

I have used the W4RT One Big Punch as well. While it does offer an improvement over the stock mic I would choose the FUNKAMATEUR DYC-8X7 over it, especially when you factor in the cost difference. The DYC is a kit, but it only takes about 30 minutes to solder up some of the parts. I believe it arrived in a week.
N6DMR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 11:28:35 AM »

You can easily build your own circuit.  SM2165 chips are still available on eBay fie about $6.  See Phil Salas' website for instructions www.ad5x.com

Dmr
KA0USE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 08:57:42 PM »

I use a discontinued Heil Improved Traveler Headset (HTSS). I pair that with a FUNKAMATEUR DYC-8X7 compressor kit. Individually they work well, together they provide quite a kick. I typically work Single Op Portable for the ARRL VHF contests and the difference is significant with those two items on SSB. It does require me to turn down the mic gain to 20 though. On FM I turn off the compressor.

I have used the W4RT One Big Punch as well. While it does offer an improvement over the stock mic I would choose the FUNKAMATEUR DYC-8X7 over it, especially when you factor in the cost difference. The DYC is a kit, but it only takes about 30 minutes to solder up some of the parts. I believe it arrived in a week.

available in u.s.a. : 

http://www.box73.com/product/4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: