The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 9040 operation question  (Read 938 times)
K2PHD

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »

I recently acquired a used MFJ 9040 transceiver. I also acquired a 2 amp power supply for it. I plugged the xcvr in and it seems to work fine on receive, although it lacks sensitivity.

On transmit, however, it seems to transmit but I hear no cw side tone when I key the unit.

I was hoping that you could tell me if this unit has a sidetone, and how to determine if it is functional or offer suggestions.

I find it difficult to send CW without a sidetone.

73, Doc
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »

Doc

I checked the manual for this rig. It says that during transmit the receiver stays "on to provide a sidetone". It also mentions that if the sidetone is too high or low (or maybe non-existant?) the "TX frequency trimmer" may be adjusted to set the tone back to 700 Hz. I dunno but this might be something to check. Maybe the receiver is listening too far off freq.

73 Doc WB0FDJ
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 06:52:54 AM »

I recall the keyer in the 90xx rigs was a separate module.  Not that it should matter, but are you keying it through the keyer or with the straight key input?  Can you transmit back and forth without retuning using a 2nd transceiver?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »

I had one. Actually had the 9020 and the 9040. Both had the CW keyer option. But the keyer option is just a keying the radio with the use of paddles. The sidetone is generated by the radio.

There is an adjustment and if not correct, you will  not hear a sidetone. Just turn the trip pot a little at a time while testing.

Don't try comparing the receive on your radio to a KX3 that cost over $1000. But I found it to be a pretty good receiver and made a lot of contacts with mine.

They really are great little radios. I think 2 amps is enough? I used a 12 volt gel cell for mine. If the battery voltage goes under 12 volts, the radio won't work.
I don't remember how much lower but it's not much. My IC 703 will work down to 9 volts but those little rigs won't.

The only reason I sold mine was to get a YouKits / Ten Tec 20/40 CW radio. It had more features.

Here's my 9020 in action. The CW you hear is from the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6RV0p2VG9g

Barry, KU3X
www.ku3x.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: