The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: extra call sign  (Read 20381 times)
JBIRD

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2016, 09:23:14 AM »

I was on the FCC website and I get the impression that when I upgrade to extra, I would keep my current call sign unless I enter the vanity call sign lottery program. Is this true?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Jim
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 11:01:09 AM »

You can't immediately get a vanity call at the same time you upgrade. The form you fill out at the test session doesn't have any options for vanity calls--you have to do that separately, after the upgrade has posted.

The option you will have is to request a new sequential callsign, which will match the class of your new license (i.e., Group A for an Extra). The sequential issuance of Group A calls is mostly in the 2x2 series starting with A. For example, in the 3rd district, they're around AB3Z?, while in the 6th district they're at AI6S?. (In the fourth district, they're run out of 2x2s starting with A, so they are now in K 2x2s.) You'll get the next available call in your district.

To get a new sequential call, you have to check the box on the NCVEC 605 that says something like "Please issue me a new sequential callsign. If you want to keep your current call, make sure you leave that box blank. Either way, you can try for a vanity call (if you want) after your Extra license posts on the ULS.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 03:09:03 PM »

You may keep your current call if you wish or you can exercise the options W3HF has described.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
GREGWTH7MMMAG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 05:30:47 PM »

As what's been said.  I upgraded this summer, and have yet to ask for a new callsign.  So I'm sure I'll get called out on an extra frequency until they look it up

KD0PWN
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 05:44:45 PM »

Greg,

If anyone calls you out, they are an idiot. Just carry on. The call does not make the operator.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 09:01:33 AM »

As what's been said.  I upgraded this summer, and have yet to ask for a new callsign.  So I'm sure I'll get called out on an extra frequency until they look it up

With the way the call sign system is currently managed, it's unlikely anyone is going to get on your case about it.  Unless they are just an AH...
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 10:14:31 AM »

i highly doubt you will hear any criticism.  There are over 142,000 US Amateurs Extra class licenses and only just over 42,000 potential 1x2 and 2x1 callsigns. There was a time only the very early amateurs had 2 letter suffixes such that having an early 1x3 callsign (especially starting with W#) denoted experience and commanded a certain amount of respect.  There are a great deal of long-time Extras today who have retained their original 2x3 callsigns and imo that too commands a certain degree of respect.

getting a 1x2, a 2x2, or even the next sequentially available 2x2 is entirely a personal choice, and getting a 1x2 or 2x1 takes some luck today.  Also note that there are many available 1x3's that are more desirable for ease-of-conveyance over the air from a phonetic and/or CW standpoint due to their respective syllable or dit/dah length ...

if you do encounter others who wish to give u a hard time over your callsign, just treat that like an effective air filter that screens out folks you dont want to let into your inner circle  Cheesy 

73 and have fun  Wink
JBIRD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 04:38:32 AM »

Thanks guys. I just wanted to confirm that my call sign stays the same unless I do something.

Not thinking I need a new call sign so won't be following the vanity call availability.

Thanks,

Jim
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 10:17:32 AM »

A little late to the party but I have a brief anecdote for you . My room mate with a KI7xxx call recently upgraded to a general class license .
He was initially called out on 80m only to have the curmudgeon called out before he could begin to explain . With information at the finger tips these days and the ULS available 365.25/24-7 all it takes is several keystrokes to find out what you need to know .

After the very brief admonition by the curmudgeon was corrected by someone that cared to look it up the congratulations came pouring in from stations near and far including a belated but genuine congratulation from the curmudgeon .

I would be the last to call someone out for being outside their privileges . Even more so if they were conducting themselves as an intelligent and considerate operator . I am not the Amateur Auxiliary . I am not an Official Observer . I am not a duly appointed official of the Federal Communications Commission. There is only one station I can control .

~kop

P.S. congratulations !!    

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 11:05:30 AM »

If I had it to do over I would have gotten a 1x3 rather than a 1x2 over 20 years ago. Not changing again now. Far as I can tell my call was only held by one other ham that went silent key long ago. I actually talked to a old timer on the air once that knew him. (he called me when he heard my call on air)

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 04:42:59 PM »

After I upgraded from Advanced to Extra, I kept my Advanced call for quite a while. No one ever said a word to me. Some hams who were General and eventually became Extras kept their General call signs as well as other hams who also kept their original Tech call sign (like N2XXX) as they upgraded.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 09:00:53 AM »

A little late to the party but I have a brief anecdote for you . My room mate with a KI7xxx call recently upgraded to a general class license .
He was initially called out on 80m only to have the curmudgeon called out before he could begin to explain . With information at the finger tips these days and the ULS available 365.25/24-7 all it takes is several keystrokes to find out what you need to know .

After the very brief admonition by the curmudgeon was corrected by someone that cared to look it up the congratulations came pouring in from stations near and far including a belated but genuine congratulation from the curmudgeon .

I would be the last to call someone out for being outside their privileges . Even more so if they were conducting themselves as an intelligent and considerate operator . I am not the Amateur Auxiliary . I am not an Official Observer . I am not a duly appointed official of the Federal Communications Commission. There is only one station I can control .

Yes, there will always be someone out there who think they can judge a persons license status just from the call letters. But there are equally as many new extras that don't really pay attention to their new privileges.

About a year ago I was going to operate some CW between 7.100 and 7.125 MHz. That part of the band was pretty dead, but then all of a sudden I was hearing a SSB station calling CQ around 7.115 MHz. I wasn't set up for SSB and I didn't think a CW message would be recognized as such. But luckily, another station recognized what was happening and informed him that he was operating in the wrong part of the band. The other operator immediately stopped transmitting. I'm guessing that he also took a look at a band allocation chart. A quick check on the internet showed that the operator was a Extra for only two weeks.

After I upgraded from Advanced to Extra, I kept my Advanced call for quite a while. No one ever said a word to me. Some hams who were General and eventually became Extras kept their General call signs as well as other hams who also kept their original Tech call sign (like N2XXX) as they upgraded.

No one should bother you, no matter what your call sign is. I upgraded to Extra in 1999. I took the Advanced and Extra written tests, and the 20 WPM code test, in a single session. The VE that was taking care of the paper work was surprised that I didn't want to check the box for a new sequential call sign. I still had a Novice call sign that I obtained while I was living in Germany almost 20 years earlier. I did want a new call sign, but I wanted to choose it myself.

I wondered how they would handle my upgrade, if I had checked the new sequential call sign box. At the time, the upgrade was handled sequentially. First I received my Advanced license and then a few weeks later, the Extra came through. Would they have issued a new call sign for the Advanced and then another one for the Extra? I guess it really doesn't matter any more.

When I did start looking for a new call sign, there were tons of 1x2 and 2x1 call signs available. But I didn't really like any of them. I then found the 1x3 that I have now and have been happy with it ever since. It's great for CW.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 12:43:23 PM »

Some hams who were General and eventually became Extras kept their General call signs as well as other hams who also kept their original Tech call sign (like N2XXX) as they upgraded.

I kept my 2x3 when I upgraded to extra.   Grin   Like a sheep in wolf's clothing...  Grin
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »

Wolf in sheep's clothing ?  Huh

~kop

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 08:04:23 AM »

In the entire history of US amateur radio, there has only been one situation where an amateur licensee has been required to change callsign because of upgrading.

It was from 1951 until some time in the 1970s or 1980s (not sure of the date). In those days, Novices were assigned distinctive callsigns, and ONLY Novices could have them. Upon upgrading, the callsign was changed. Eventually that went away.

Perhaps there could be an ironic-vanity-callsign trend. Imagine new Extras intentionally getting old-school Novice callsigns through the vanity system! Most of them are unassigned, so the suffix could be your initials, something that sounds good on CW or has catchy phonetics, etc.

73 de Jim, N2EY (not a vanity call - sequentially issued in 1977)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: