The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icoms new IC-7610 Revealed  (Read 74362 times)
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 12:54:59 AM »

Hi

Icom was slowly loosing the market to Kenwood and Yaesu whom used low freq IF to get better close in performance and better lab figures .

Now they have hit back so hard I think Kenwood will be out of the HF ham market soon.
And Yaesu will be having a terrible hard job to stay alive.

I do not like Icoms at all, colour screens touch screens all bells and whistle no real performance.
But now they have hit back and are three steps ahead of both Kenwood and Yaesu.

BTW I have a TS590S , and i like it that much that it will be my first and certainly my last Kenwood HF radio.
for me its awfully bad.
It has awfully bad audio in CW RX and awfully bad NR in CW.

I do not like the new Yaesu's either only bells and whistles in the FT991 and FTDX1200.
So I think my new rig that I will buy in the future will be an Icom, not because I think it is that good but just because my Kenwood realy sucks big time in CW RX, and yes the Kenwood will not fall apart it has great close in dynamic range and has great bandfilters and will handle the worst contest situations etc.
Very important all this if you never run any contests or realy DX and very important if you can not stand the awfully bad audio in CW RX and awfully ringing of the CW filters for longer then 10 minutes on your ears.

No my next rig might be an Icom not because its that good , but because the others are that bad.
For innovation only a big thumbs up for Icom, the competition was just hit and sweaped away from its feet in one big sweep, that was a realy brilliant move by Icom.

73 Jos

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:59:47 AM by PA1ZP » Logged
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 04:49:05 AM »

I really like the fact that Icom are quickly following up the IC-7300 with a 'proper sized' radio - I own an IC-7300 and love it but I would rather a bigger radio with a few more things.

That said, the IC-7610 just doesn't seem that appealing to me.

Like many others, I'm baffled as to why putting a bloody TX Power knob on a radio is so damn hard.  Hello!  Many of us run linears and would really like that.

But my biggest criticism is it just looks like its two radios crammed into one box.  Like literally.  Everything is duplicated.  Two waterfalls, two AF/RF Gain knobs etc.  If I wanted that, I could just buy a second IC-7300!!!!

The IC-7300 is already good enough for SSB contest usage in VK Land, so a better ADC isn't top of my priorities by a long shot.

I personally would have liked to see a bigger radio with more dedicated knobs, more antenna ports, RF Pre-distortion, a cleaner transmitter, etc etc, not just two radios in the one box.

I don't think I'll be drooling over this one, unless it turns out is has a lot of useful features that have yet to be mentioned.

J.D. Mitchell - VK3BL / XU7AGA - http://vk3bl.wordpress.com
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 04:19:30 AM »

But my biggest criticism is it just looks like its two radios crammed into one box.  Like literally.  Everything is duplicated.  Two waterfalls, two AF/RF Gain knobs etc.  If I wanted that, I could just buy a second IC-7300!!!!

That's very old news.  Hams demanded, and have gotten, dual watch for years for contesting.  Not having dual watch was a big criticism of the 7700. 
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 07:55:29 AM »

That's very old news.  Hams demanded, and have gotten, dual watch for years for contesting.  Not having dual watch was a big criticism of the 7700. 

Please explain how (audio-only) Dual Watch is useful in the heat of a major contest.

With only one receiver, you're receiving two band-pass frequencies simultaneously in both earpieces. It's not like having two receivers (in one cabinet) where you can operate SO2V...one receiver frequency in the left ear, and the other receiver frequency in the right ear. You can then use one VFO to run, and the other VFO to search and pounce...similar to SO2R. It takes a certain proficiency and practice to do this.

Using Dual Watch in contests is like creating your own QRM, despite using the "balance" control...quite confusing. When running (CQing) with one receiver, you're riding the "RIT". On search and pounce, the last thing you need is Dual Watch. I sometimes use Dual Watch on my 7600 when working split, to find the station that the DX is currently working in the pile-up. Otherwise, I just use the "XFC" for this purpose.

Now, in the new 7610, with a one-receiver Dual Watch that shows two different bands on separate scopes/waterfalls, you can "see" two bands at once in order to check propagation pop-up activity, reducing the audio on the sub-band to avoid confusion. Especially with the declining solar cycle, if you're working 20 meters on one scope, you can see if/when anything pops up on 15 meters on the other scope...useful for band changes to pick up multipliers. That's a useful upgrade over a "audio-only" Dual Watch. Then again, this is only useful when using a multi-band antenna that can simultaneously receive on two bands, without signal degradation from non-resonance on a second band.

73,  Bob K7JQ

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 09:22:04 AM »

A separate power control knob is not necessary. Just use the multifunction knob like the 7300.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:31:47 PM by K6AER » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »

A separate power control knob is no necessary. Just use the multifunction knob like the 7300.

That may be your experience but that is not the experience of everybody.  I need only about 45W of drive to hit 1.5Kw on 20m but when I move to 12m I need about 85w of drive to get 1500W and when I turn the amp off I need to push the power back to 100W.  Then I have mode changes, digital, CW etc and I have to readjust the power.  So that Knob gets used a lot.
I am not sure how the multifunction knob works. Maybe you can make it a dedicated knob but that is going to be trade off because I need a power knob all the time, so in effect I can no longer use it for anything else.

73s
Rob
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:12:07 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 12:42:36 PM »

On the 7300 you push the multifunction knob and it goes into power control. One touch and your done. In addition you can touch screen in the same window for mic. gain, compression and monitor volume. That is four itty bitty knobs eliminated. In addition you have digital read out of these levels and that makes satiability very constant. 30% on power equates to 30 watts.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 12:48:13 PM »

The new ICOM'S automatically reduce the power to 25% for AM. Your power for CW, SSB, RTTY and FM will be at what ever percentage you set the power for 5-100 watts. Just touch the multifunction knob and set the power. It is that easy.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:53:13 PM by K6AER » Logged
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 06:02:58 PM »

The new ICOM'S automatically reduce the power to 25% for AM. Your power for CW, SSB, RTTY and FM will be at what ever percentage you set the power for 5-100 watts. Just touch the multifunction knob and set the power. It is that easy.

I know - I have one.

I'd still prefer a knob.  With the VK 400 watt limit, power tends to be tweaked quite a bit with band / mode changes.

J.D. Mitchell - VK3BL / XU7AGA - http://vk3bl.wordpress.com
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 01:58:18 AM »

I assume that you have to press the button and then tap the power option on the screen before the knob changes to power control?  If that's the case it's still a Hastle considering I change this setting every time I change bands and modes.  Not to mention the occasional tweak when the power goes a bit past or under the desired level.

Btw I also agree with the other post that there is too much usage of the scant knobs as redundant clones for the second Rx.  A simple A/B mode button could have freed up half of them for more important things.

Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »

I assume that you have to press the button and then tap the power option on the screen before the knob changes to power control?  If that's the case it's still a Hastle considering I change this setting every time I change bands and modes.  Not to mention the occasional tweak when the power goes a bit past or under the desired level.

Btw I also agree with the other post that there is too much usage of the scant knobs as redundant clones for the second Rx.  A simple A/B mode button could have freed up half of them for more important things.

Rob

On the other hand, the digital readout of power on the 7300 (40%=40 watts) is more precise when it comes to adjusting it for input to an amp on different bands. On the 7600 meter, there is no accurate readout of power. Unless you have an external digital watt meter, you only have an approximation of power output. A few extra watts of overdrive can fault protect some amps.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 02:56:53 PM »

On the other hand, the digital readout of power on the 7300 (40%=40 watts) is more precise when it comes to adjusting it for input to an amp on different bands. On the 7600 meter, there is no accurate readout of power. Unless you have an external digital watt meter, you only have an approximation of power output. A few extra watts of overdrive can fault protect some amps.

No, thats not going to be true.  The SDR Radio is not going to have anymore accuracy in measuring it's own output power than previous models.  Sure it says 40w on a digital display but that's still probably +/- 10% accuracy.
Also most Hams with Amplifiers are looking at the final output power, not the drive power, so most buy an external meter like the LP-100A that have 2-4% accuracy.

73s
Rob

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 06:05:17 PM »

Repeatability of the measurement is what is important. Does not matter if it is 40 or 44 watts out.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2016, 06:49:05 PM »

No, thats not going to be true.  The SDR Radio is not going to have anymore accuracy in measuring it's own output power than previous models.  Sure it says 40w on a digital display but that's still probably +/- 10% accuracy.
Also most Hams with Amplifiers are looking at the final output power, not the drive power, so most buy an external meter like the LP-100A that have 2-4% accuracy.

73s
Rob

But, you still have to know the drive power limits of some amps in order to prevent faults. My Acom 1500 tetrode amp is sensitive to screen current, and with their TRI tuning system, can be tuned at full drive power with its built-in attenuator. If you start off with a few extra watts drive over its threshold, it will fault on screen current protect when you exit the attenuator. When changing bands, you can also have a drive power chart for quick tune-up. True, extreme accuracy isn't there, but as K6AER states, it's repeatability of measurement at the same % power digital readout necessary for each band that makes tune-up easier and faster.

73,  Bob K7JQ
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »

Please explain how (audio-only) Dual Watch is useful in the heat of a major contest.
I think the context of the original remark and reply concerned Icom's decision to incorporate that feature, not my or anyone else's thoughts on the wisdom of doing so.  Again, they HAVE taken a lot of grief for not including that into some expensive radios in the past, that's it.

Is what it is....operate your gear according to your specific needs.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: