The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-930s repair shops  (Read 9852 times)
KK4JBO

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2016, 03:39:02 PM »

Hi, my name is Bob Burgoon-K6RMB. I have a mid 80's Kenwood TS-930s I bought at the Spartanburg SC Hamfest a couple years ago. To be quite honest think I ended up with a 40 pound electronic boat anchor. Looking to see if any of you folks would know anyone in the northeast Ohio area that works on them. Contacted Kenwood and they pretty much laughed at me. Anyway any information wouls be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Bob 73
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 04:19:06 PM »

Try www.oldhamdave.com.  He has good reviews and works on the TS-930.  LL
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 06:41:04 PM »

f you have an undiagnosed problem or want comprehensive service, the only person who I am aware of who is both a Kenwood authorized technician and repairs the TS-930S is Cliff Holland at AVVID.  He has never done any work for me, but I have spoken with him a few times and know others have worked with him.  He’s a straight shooter.

Give him a call

http://www.avvid.com/

73 Mark N1UK
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »

f you have an undiagnosed problem or want comprehensive service, the only person who I am aware of who is both a Kenwood authorized technician and repairs the TS-930S is Cliff Holland at AVVID.  He has never done any work for me, but I have spoken with him a few times and know others have worked with him.  He’s a straight shooter.

Give him a call

73 Mark N1UK

Problem is, you need the original packaging to send it to him (per his web site) or he won't accept it to work on.  I don't have mine because I also bought the radio used.
KB4MNG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 05:32:34 AM »

You may be out of luck if Cliff will not work on it. Surely if you secure it with something other than original packing per his wishes he will take it.

There was an outfit in FL that use to specialize in those radios. Unfortunately there doors are closed. Old ham Dave is in his 80's and had a friend send him a 930 with a very unsatisfactory out come.

You may want to sell the radio to someone for the parts. You will have quite an investment in that radio in the end and still have a old radio.
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 08:14:39 AM »

Hmmm, unfortunate news.
Guess I'll stick mine on the shelf for a while.  It's a really nice radio when it was working.......
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 06:03:50 AM »

Give him a call

73 Mark N1UK

Problem is, you need the original packaging to send it to him (per his web site) or he won't accept it to work on.  I don't have mine because I also bought the radio used.

Try to contact Cliff and see if he'll accept a substitute type of packaging. Double boxed!! Pay extra for real packing for delicate stuff and ship FedEx 2-day, what ever keeps it off the ground delivery for those long rides on the interstates and handling. I understand his concern about original packing, that's why I kept my box for my TS850.

Fred
N6BIZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 09:20:41 AM »

AVVID IN TEXAS
WB0CJB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 06:39:58 PM »

Just being curious but what is wrong with it?
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 09:32:11 PM »

Huh I thought those Kenmore's were covered forever at SEARS???  Huh   Shocked

Clayton
W4KVW
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 04:54:12 AM »

Just being curious but what is wrong with it?
I don't know about the OP's, but mine went from 100+ watts out on all bands to about 35 watts out.  Haven't had time to check it out.  I just use one of my other radios for now....
WD4DKV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 12:39:11 PM »

That happened to my ts830, turned out was hi voltage caps. Can you read ur plate voltage? Might be an easy fix, take you less time than packing it up Smiley
Later riley wd4dkv.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 06:59:21 PM »

The OP has already put it back on the shelf, so it's moot point.

K5RT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 07:00:53 PM »

TS-930 is an all solid state transceiver. There is no Plate (HV) supply. Having said that, the power supply in the TS-930 is known for failure due to temperature rise.

Paul
K5RT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 07:07:40 PM »

Try Hamrepair.com
Cal is an excellent tech. I know he and Clif at AVVID and both are equally skilled.
As far as original Kenwood packaging goes, many commercial shipping/ packaging companies can foam pack for a modest price. This is (IMO) superior to the factory Kenwood packing. Of course double box your radio.
In the case of AVVID, give Clif a call and see if professional foam packing would be acceptable.

Good Luck
Paul
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: