The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY NOT JUST SCRAP THE TEST  (Read 36722 times)
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2016, 06:20:03 PM »

Why don't we just scrap the test to become a Ham?  Fill out some forms, pay a fee and BOOM you are on the air. 
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 10:42:41 PM »

Why don't we just scrap the test to become a Ham?  Fill out some forms, pay a fee and BOOM you are on the air. 
   Like CB in the '60s and '70s??  Shocked
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 12:50:06 AM »

Drama much?
KD7SKY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 06:40:52 AM »

While I don't agree with the elitist attitude of some hams who feel you should have the IQ of an electrical engineer (I don't), I do think there should be a minimum requirement to demonstrate knowledge for things that relate to safety and the FCC regulations. 
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »

...  Fill out some forms, pay a fee and BOOM you are on the air. 

Do you know the difference between a license and a permit?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 01:56:20 PM »

Sounds like someone who wants to become an amateur radio operator but doesn't want to put in the slightest bit of effort to become one!
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »

Sounds like someone who wants to become an amateur radio operator but doesn't want to put in the slightest bit of effort to become one!

I'm not sure you understand my post.  I have heard from folks that have had a Ticket for 65 years say "it's always been like this".  I see forums that complain of bad operators, but when you suggest making the license harder to get, they say that won't work.  Code is gone and you can buy a book with all the questions and answers to the test in it.  WHY NOT JUST SCRAP THE TEST?  It takes only the slightest bit of effort to become a Ham now days anyway. 
KA2FIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 04:39:37 PM »

Troll, no.
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 07:40:06 PM »

THIS IS AA4HA:

Taking a written test based upon some technical knowledge or the ability to memorize morse code does not make someone in to a decent human being.

No matter the level of training, what test you passed.. or didn't or dit's and dah's is not what makes you a good amateur radio operator.

Demonstrating some maturity and discretion, knowing when it is better to not associate with lowlifes or to get dragged in to their nonsense. Hopefully you were raised as a decent human being with some respect for others, for yourself. Someone who believes that their personal honor and character mean something.

On 3840, on eHam and in ten thousand other representative slices of society, there are plenty of examples of people to admire and those to despise.

Choose with whom you associate very carefully, they are also a reflection of your own judgement and character.

____________________________________________________--------------------------------------

THIS IS PLANKEYE:

WHY NOT JUST SCRAP THE TEST? 

KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 08:34:34 AM »

Given the many ways you can injure or kill yourself in various aspects of amateur radio, and the many ways one can run afoul of FCC regulations, seems like the requirement to pass a minimal multiple choice test in order to get a license isn't unreasonable.
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 08:38:59 AM »

Hey, Plankeye:  Did you have to pass a written test to get a driver's license? 

(Here in Indiana, years ago, we had to retake the written test every time we renewed our license, which, given how many idiots are on the road these days, seems moronic to me, but that's the law.)
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »

Hey, Plankeye:  Did you have to pass a written test to get a driver's license? 

(Here in Indiana, years ago, we had to retake the written test every time we renewed our license, which, given how many idiots are on the road these days, seems moronic to me, but that's the law.)

In Illinois we have to retake the written if convicted, (Or simply paid for) any moving violations since the last renewal.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 10:53:13 AM »

Because International regulations require that Amateur Radio Operators have to be be tested. For instance they used to have an requirement to test for Morse Code competency. That was dropped by the ITU and 'scrapped' , but the other regulations remain.

"Both the requirements for and privileges granted to a licensee vary from country to country, but generally follow the international regulations and standards established by the International Telecommunication Union[27] and World Radio Conferences.

All countries that license citizens to use amateur radio require operators to display knowledge and understanding of key concepts, usually by passing an exam; however, some authorities also recognize certain educational or professional qualifications (such as a degree in electrical engineering) in lieu thereof."

Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 02:51:14 PM »

If I bring up how Super Bad the operators act now days.  Hold up for a minute back in 1951 we had the same thing in our day.  Good gracious that stuff has been Super Bad since I got my ticket back in 1961.  I think the Ticket should be extremely hard to obtain.  If I bring that up folks come out of the woodwork that say testing does not matter.  But if you go to the Doctor you want him or her to be tested.  I don't get it. 

If testing doesn't matter call Walmart when you need medical care. 

SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 02:57:23 PM »

If I bring up how Super Bad the operators act now days.  Hold up for a minute back in 1951 we had the same thing in our day.  Good gracious that stuff has been Super Bad since I got my ticket back in 1961.  I think the Ticket should be extremely hard to obtain.  If I bring that up folks come out of the woodwork that say testing does not matter.  But if you go to the Doctor you want him or her to be tested.  I don't get it. 

If testing doesn't matter call Walmart when you need medical care. 

Huh?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: