The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacked by Ham Radio Deluxe support  (Read 62527 times)
N2SUB

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2016, 07:28:15 PM »

I opened a support ticket with HRDSOFTWARE, and was told that I needed to download and install the latest build of version 6.22, and then they would be able to provide support.  I followed their directions, and once the download was installed the program started, displayed the splash screen and then completely shut down.  I reported this in the ticket, and got an IMMEDIATE response:

"I'm sorry, but your support has expired and we are unable to provide any further support.

We would also like to request that you NOT RENEW your support nor use our software due to the review you placed on eHam back in September.  Remember that?  http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/143372

Good luck, and 73 HRD Tech Support"

I called the support line and asked them to explain what they were doing, and they informed me that I was blacklisted and the file they directed me to download blocked the software on my computer from running.  TWO DAYS LATER, THEY CONTACTED ME AND STATED THEY WOULD UNLOCK MY SOFTWARE IF I REMOVED THE REVIEW I POSTED. 

I have a right to my opinion, and they have the right to refuse me service.  However, knowingly and maliciously planting a file on my computer that caused it to malfunction is a cyber crime.  At their direction, I downloaded what amounts to a trojan horse virus and lost the use of my software.  I've filed complaints with the State of Florida and with the US Government, both of whom take these matters seriously.  I'm also in the process of contacting all of their retailers to share this story.  Meanwhile my software is dead and I'm out the money I've spend on the original version and upgrades.

When a company attempts to stifle a customer who posted a negative review, you have to ask yourself what is really going on.  With the mixed reviews I've seen, I can't be the only one they've done this to.  Whether you love HRD or you're not so crazy about it, do you believe that this is the kind of company you want to give your hard-earned money to? 

Best 73

ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 08:02:06 PM »

If you can prove the "RANSOMWARE" case, then you have "just won the Lotto".
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:08:51 PM »

I know there are two sides to every story, but their response sounds somewhat vindictive. And I read your review and it does not seem like a rant, but instead contained what seems to me to be useful feedback. I suppose they are unhappy with the "Flimsy at best" title and the 1 out of 5 rating.

Ransomware sounds appropriate. I was looking at HRD, but I think I'll keep looking at the alternatives.

My job entails working with unhappy customers, some who have written scorched earth emails to our executives and CEO. And guess what, we still do our best to make them happy.

KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »

I called the support line and asked them to explain what they were doing, and they informed me that I was blacklisted and the file they directed me to download blocked the software on my computer from running.  TWO DAYS LATER, THEY CONTACTED ME AND STATED THEY WOULD UNLOCK MY SOFTWARE IF I REMOVED THE REVIEW I POSTED.  

What they said to you is inexcusable. Cannot believe it. I'm not sure that is even legal..

Stopped using HRD a while back, and was hoping to return after more updates had happened.

Hope you took a screen shot of the response so you can defend yourself if needed. Doesn't sound like the ethics are running at full mast over there.

Putting a Shatnerologist in a room full of ordinary people is like putting a velociraptor in a room full of wiener dogs.
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 03:12:02 AM »

HRD: Blacklist me too cuz if you really did this to someone you should be shamed out of business. That's wrong. The guy wasnt derogatory he was truthful from a professional standpoint.

HRD should be refunding every penny that N2SUB spent. And I hope you take them to the mat.

Funny thing was I have been considering buying HRD. Not now. HRD -1.

And HRD this is an open forum, your a ham, probably registered here. I publicly invite you to refute anything said.

Maybe a few flea market tables would be inexpensive advertising to show people why not to do business with them....print out the responses this turdball sent and let people see on their own. Heck let me know I'll pay for your table Smiley
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 03:48:24 AM »

As an IT Professional, N2SUB's review seems perfectly fair to me.

If you offer a product, you should stand behind it.  If a customer has paid money, and criticises the product publicly, so what?  Ever heard of a restaurant critic? Film critic? etc.

N2SUB reported his experience it what seems an entirely appropriate and professional manner.  If what he has posted here is true, then the current developers of HRD have a lot to answer for. 

Personally, I'm glad I've only ever used the free version, and even then, I wasn't impressed.  Way too overcomplicated and unintuitive for me, and it definitely relied on older programming languages resulting in compatibility and performance issues.

Basically, I have no reason not to take N2SUB's word on this one.

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 06:01:55 AM »

On their website is an offer to fix any one issue for $19.95. That is a bad enough sign to keep the savvy consumer away, no? They write it and sell it, it doesn't work and the buyer is expected to pay to get it working... I can sort of see their point considering the complexity of some ham stations and all the stuff they are integrating but otoh it smells of introvert superiority.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W0DLM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 06:26:31 AM »

WOW! It is almost (sadly, only "almost") impossible to believe that any company would act in such an unethical fashion. I would seriously be looking into what it would take to file some sort of cyber-crime charges against them. With business ethics like that, I have to hope that they will be out of business very, very soon. I know that I certainly won't be doing business with them. EVER!
AB3TH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 07:03:17 AM »

That is not an acceptable approach to customer service.  Even when the customer is wrong, he's right.  There are always customers with an off-the-wall opinion, hostile customers, clueless customers.  Not that I think any of those apply here.

Business would be a lot easier if you didn't have to deal with customers but that's a necessary part of the equation.  If you have an unhappy customer and can't solve their problem you apologize and offer a refund.  You don't retaliate.  They may have significantly fewer customers after this incident and I think it's good that this has gotten some exposure.
ND8M

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 07:10:40 AM »

Hard to disagree with this.  I purchased HRD as well and wish I hadn't.  The last freeware version works just as good, and support seems to be just as good (i.e. Non-existent).  Hard to believe a company can be so vindictive to paying customers.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 07:11:32 AM »

Am I reading that right?  They had you download software to disable the application, an app that you had "bought" (ie purchased a license to use)?

If this story is true (not that I doubt you, but I simply don't have direct knowledge of the situation), you may need to have a word with your attorney.  
N2SUB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 07:22:13 AM »

Thanks guys.....I was hoping to get them in the court of public opinion.  Aside from the complaints I've filed, the local police have advised that this isn't a criminal matter so they cannot help, and my attorney stated it would cost thousands to recover hundreds.  The XYL isn't down with that, although I'd love to make a case out of it.  I have everything documented, and the last thing they said to me was "SEE YOU IN COURT".  My Grandmother would say "they're getting a little to big for their britches". 

I'm contacting retailers and sending a print of the full support ticket, my review and an explanation of what has happened.  I can't really ask them to stop selling HRD, but they need to know how their vendor treats their customers.  If I bought the software from a retailer instead of directly from HRDSOFTWARE, I'd think less of the retailer after this incident.

Please pass this story on.  I don't want to see this happen to anyone else.  Post freely but be aware of the consequences.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 01:06:54 PM »

in Minnesota, this is a gross misdemeanor, $2000 and up to one year in the pokey.  any software that damages or restricts use of a computer is a violation.
K2LS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 02:54:58 PM »

I have had very good luck stopping credit card payments when things like this happen. I always pay with a credit card!
W7TX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 04:45:54 PM »

By their childish response they are getting more bad publicity than the op's review.  Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.  I refuse to give my money to any outfit that treats their customers like this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: