The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-590s with FLDigi question  (Read 1883 times)
KD0ZGW

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2017, 04:05:20 PM »

Digital rookie here.

I have this "almost" working.  Can't seem to get the freq display in the software to match the actual on the rig.  Did lots of googling and believe I have most of the set-up done correctly.

Suggestions are welcomed.

Thx in advance for help.

KD0ZGW
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:31:10 PM »

I have this "almost" working.  Can't seem to get the freq display in the software to match the actual on the rig.  Did lots of googling and believe I have most of the set-up done correctly.

What do you mean by "almost working"? Either the rig control works or is doesn't. I can use Fldigi with my IC-735 and it controls the frequency just fine.

How are you connected to the TS-590S? USB or RS-232?

Did you download and install the necessary drivers from the Kenwood site?

What settings did you use?

Did you get a copy of PDF on "How To set up the Kenwood TS-590S for Digital Data and Digital Voice Operation"? Google links are kind of messy, or I would post it here, but you can find it in a quick google search.

Several web sites, like "https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/2jlh67/anyone_got_a_ts590s_and_fl_digi_working_using_usb/" and "http://kk4sih.blogspot.com/2013/11/kenwood-ts-590-settings-with-fldigi.html" give some detail on the settings.

I may not be able to fix your issue, but with enough information, someone else might be able to.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
KB3MDT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »

Hi,
  FLDIGI works fine with the Kenwood TS-590s.  I had it working on Windows 7,8 and now 10.   Note, you only need one USB Cable between your PC and the Radio.  You don't need a separate Serial Cable.    Make sure you read the docs suggested in the previous post and load the correct drivers on your PC  ** Before attaching the Radio USB Cable****.     You can then go into the PC's Config / Device manager to see if the drivers are loading okay.

In FLDIGI / Configuration / Rig / Rig Cat look at the following settings.

Make sure you have downloaded the TS-590S.XML File from the FLIDGI Site and selected it as the Rig Description File.

These options should be checked:
 - Use RigCat
 - RTS/CTS Flow Control
 - Cat Command for PTT

My Config uses:
 - Device COM3  (yours may be COM1 or ...)
 - Baud Rate 57600   (I use this as I also use WSJT which doesn't support the 115200 speed).
 *** Note, there is a setting for Baud Rate on the Kenwood Radio itself that must match whatever speed you have here.   Check Menu-62 setting on the radio  (This assumes you are doing both Audio and Rig Control via the USB Cable, not a separate Serial link).
 - Stop Bits 1

Sometimes You may need to up these settings to increase the delay times.   These are what I use:
 - Retries 4
 - Retry Interval 50
 - Write Delay 25
 - Init Delay 0
The Default TS-590S.XML may have lower values for some of these.  These are the settings to muck with if the Radio and the PC Frequency sync for one or two changes and then break.

Don't forget to click on Initialize after changing any of the above in FLDIGI.   I think the Initialize button turns Red if it finds any problem.

Also, I believe you have to do Configure / Save Config after making any changes.

Good Luck. 

Ken
KB3MDT

KD0ZGW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »

Ken & Martin;

Thx for help and references.  I'll get it eventually. 

KD0ZGW
KD3WB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »

Digital rookie here.

I have this "almost" working.  Can't seem to get the freq display in the software to match the actual on the rig.  Did lots of googling and believe I have most of the set-up done correctly.

Suggestions are welcomed.

Thx in advance for help.

KD0ZGW

The frequency won't change until rig control is established.  Connect the rig to the computer, turn the rig on, start Fldigi, click "Configure" "Rig Control", select the "HamLib" tab, check the "Use Hamlib" box at the top, then click the down arrow in the "Rig" box and select "TS-590S".  Make sure the correct COM port number is shown in the "Device" box, then click "Initialize".  When rig control is established, you should see something like "TS-590S" in the upper left corner of the Flidigi window. When you see it, click "Save", then "Close".  If you are not sure which COM port number to use, press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type "devmgmt.msc" into the "Open" box, click "OK", then click on the plus sign next to "Ports".    Once you get it working, if you are prompted to save the new configuration when closing Fldigi, be sure to do so.

Ben
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:56:25 AM by KD3WB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: