The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Close to getting permanent (5 year) ham licence in Myanmar  (Read 3743 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2017, 06:45:43 PM »

Just a heads up on my situation.  I've been living and working in Myanmar on and off since 2012.  I previously applied for a permanent ham licence in 2012/2013, but this was not possible at that time because the government Regulator was busy writing the telecoms laws for the new mobile phone networks.

Since last year, I have been working again in Myanmar, first in the northern town of Mandalay, and now - more long-term, in the administrative capital of Naypyidaw.

I've been in contact with the licencing authorities again and hope to soon be issued with a permanent XZ licence, which I think will be the first licence issued since the 1960's, other than for DXpeditions.

Living and working (teaching at an international school) in Naypyidaw is quite a pleasant experience, since this modern city is laid out over a wide footprint, more than 4 times that of New York City!  So there are plenty of green spaces, large lakes with cycle paths etc.

The downside is that there are very few foreigners living here, only some who work for NGOs or the mobile phone companies.  Shopping facilities are very limited and I often have to source everyday essentials from Bangkok.

Anyway, I'll update the forum if and when the licence is issued.
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 03:34:59 AM »

Simon,

It would be excellent to have a permanent ham in XZ for such a long time. Fingers crossed it works out.

Marvin VE3VEE
KD8YGW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 05:28:04 PM »

This would be a great development--for your and for us!
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 05:55:19 PM »

That's great Simon! XZ is definitely a rare one and you'll have many hams that will want to work you  Cool
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 06:50:41 AM »

I was in Naypyidaw in October 2015 for work, kicking myself for not bringing a rig and applying for a license.

Steve
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 10:46:58 PM »

I was in Naypyidaw in October 2015 for work, kicking myself for not bringing a rig and applying for a license

LoL, had you brought a rig, then you would probably still be in a Myanmar jail for illegal importation of a transceiver...

Don't kick yourself - I've been living in Myanmar since 2012 and still haven't managed to get an XZ licence yet.
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:31:44 AM »

Update:

Well, more than 6 months since my last comment on this topic...

Anyway, during those 6 months, the licencing guys have blown hot and cold over my application for a permanent ham licence.

Now they suddenly 'woke up' this week and said that they would give me the licence very soon (yea, I know they have told me this many times, but I always need to have hope!).

They just asked me to submit some more documents, (and I'll drop these into their office in Naypyidaw tomorrow).

Who knows?  Perhaps it is some cruel form of torture - keeping me on tenterhooks all this time.

Ho hum, let's see what happens - hope to get this XZ licence before I reach pension age.
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 11:29:14 AM »

Perhaps it is some cruel form of torture.

They're just being polite! They don't want to say "No" to you. Grin Grin Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »

It's a definite possibility that you might get the license eventually...  Roll Eyes

Hope it works out and you get it soon  Cool
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 05:40:15 PM »

They're just being polite! They don't want to say "No" to you

Ah yes, the old "Don't say no, but don't say yes" tactic.

Perhaps they will give me a licence, just to get me off their backs and to stop pestering them...
K4HB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 08:13:14 PM »

Perhaps they will give me a licence, just to get me off their backs and to stop pestering them...

Your tactic sounds like the one I use trying to get a card from bum QSLers. Hope you have better luck.

HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 01:18:55 AM »

I can say that getting blood out of a stone is a 'walk in the park', when compared to getting information out of these guys in Myanmar.  They never volunteer one iota of information or help. 

For example, when I asked them 'Can you please help me with the license application procedure?'

They replied 'Yes'.

(Meaning 'yes, we can help you, but we will not volunteer any additional details whatsoever, until you ask the next question')

It's like playing 'yes/no' charades!!

Today's questions from me were 'Does your department handle the transmitter import permit procedure?'

Their answer was 'No'.

My next question 'OK, so who handles the transmitter import permit procedure?'

Their answer was 'the transmitter import permit department'.

My next question 'Fine, please do you have the contact details of the transmitter import permit department?'

Their answer was 'No'.

LoL, I cannot recall the last time that I had such fun as this !!!!!!

(... goes off to drink a substantial quantity of strong Myanmar beer.....)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 11:06:15 PM »

Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey....

Today, the PTT department issued me with the import permit to permanently import my Icom IC-708 transceiver into Myanmar, (because I live here permanently, and intend to operate my ham station as a 'permanent, resident' ham station.

The next step is to go and pay several thousand of $ USD to get my operating callsign.

Interestingly, the import permit included the proviso that I was not allowed to transmit on the 40 metre band (7.1 - 7.3 MHz). 

At first, I thought that perhaps those frequencies were used by the military.

But then I remembered and checked!  Right on 7200 KHz is Myanmar Radio, operating from a transmitter in Naypyidaw, where I'm based.  So I guess that the authorities are worried that my 100 watts of RF could interfere with that transmitter.

But I checked the IARU region 3 band plan for 40 mb and it covers 7000 - 7300 KHz.  So I can still operate between 7000 - 7100 KHz.

Right now, I wait for the notice for me to visit the office to pay my $$$ and to be issued with my XZ (or XY) resident's call-sign.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:11:44 PM by HS0ZIB » Logged
HB0PET

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 06:46:13 AM »

Right now, I wait for the notice for me to visit the office to pay my $$$ and to be issued with my XZ (or XY) resident's call-sign.

When the notice has arrived, tell them that you don't have enough money on your bank account and ask them for a credit, so that you could pay it later. Let's see what the answer of this bureaucratic bastards will be. In case of a refusal, you should reply with: "Oh, I'm sorry, then I have to wait until the money is there." I would play with them the same cat and mouse game as they do with you. If the answer is, "Yeah, of course, that's not a problem at all," then you ask them until when the money has to be paid. Just before the deadline has expired, you will send them a registered letter requesting a time extension. The reaction of these monkeys would be really funny!
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 07:57:24 AM »

When the notice has arrived, tell them that you don't have enough money on your bank account and ask them for a credit, so that you could pay it later. Let's see what the answer of this bureaucratic bastards will be. In case of a refusal, you should reply with: "Oh, I'm sorry, then I have to wait until the money is there." I would play with them the same cat and mouse game as they do with you. If the answer is, "Yeah, of course, that's not a problem at all," then you ask them until when the money has to be paid. Just before the deadline has expired, you will send them a registered letter requesting a time extension. The reaction of these monkeys would be really funny!

Ya, really funny stuff.

Perhaps you should go to a DX location & start playing games with their licensing officials. Be sure and update us as to the "reaction of these monkeys". You are obviously a big time operator from Liechtenstein though.................HB0PET has never been spotted on any DX Cluster & doesn't exist on QRZ. Maybe the monkeys got their revenge on you?  Smiley

Tom KC0W   
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: