The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RadioShack's successor preparing for bankruptcy  (Read 9438 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2017, 05:46:39 AM »

"General Wireless Operations, the RadioShack successor created by a partnership between Sprint Corp. and the defunct retailer's owners, is preparing to file for bankruptcy, according to people familiar with the matter.

A filing could happen within the coming days and will probably result in liquidation, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the process isn't public. The beleaguered company, which does business as RadioShack, operates outlets that share space with Sprint's retail locations, as well as franchising the name to other stores."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-radioshack-bankruptcy-20170303-story.html
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:03:19 AM »

Good information. Thanks. I read the article and executives are like car salesmen / politicians slippery when they talk they say a lot without saying anything. 
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:43:06 AM »

KTN:  You can also probably throw in "bought with no thought of success but used as  a tax write-off........or any variation of this!
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 10:06:57 AM »

The two venture capital funds that financed Radio Shack's bankruptcy made out terribly. Some very high salaried heads rolled over this disaster. More heads will roll soon at General Wireless and maybe Sprint it appears. 
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »

Shame, they use to be a quick go to store...now I suppose the internet will be that...
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 11:13:44 AM »

I have to remember that as a 'go-to' store, the parts inventory was getting dismal. No electrolytics over 50 volts (dangerous voltages). Panel lamp and fuse prices were exorbitant.
 I used to purchase a DX-series communications receiver every few years. Some were good, some not so good. All of the Eton-Grundigs were pretty horrible.
 They stopped carrying any kind of car audio.
 Every time the counter guy would ask me if I needed a cell phone. It had basically were a Sprint, Boost, then Verizon phone store. Better phone deals could be had elsewhere, if you wanted a contract.
 Employee turnover was huge. They kept throwing different mangers at the problem and didn't (or couldn't) solve the root cause. I was in a store when an argument broke out at the counter. It was sad to witness the chaos. The boss quit on the spot and left the customer standing at the counter. (His new phone wouldn't do what they said it would).
  The lifetime Realistic tubes and the Battery-of-the-month club may have been a come-on, but people felt like they were getting a good deal and kept coming back.
 It used to be a fun store. Maybe its time had come.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 11:26:06 AM »

Employee turnover was huge. They kept throwing different mangers at the problem and didn't (or couldn't) solve the root cause.

A friend worked there, and he said the treatment of employees was abysmal.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 12:19:44 PM »

Employee turnover was huge. They kept throwing different mangers at the problem and didn't (or couldn't) solve the root cause.

A friend worked there, and he said the treatment of employees was abysmal.

I knew a ham that managed one of the stores. He didn't make minimum wage even... Their parts never were up to professional snuff anyhow, when I worked as a tech we never went to Radio Shuck unless we were in a crunch...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 12:38:58 PM »

The quality of their radios was non existent. The last time I bought an AM/FM it drifted horribly, even on AM. Not enough audio to drive a speaker. Back in the 70's I had both their Patrolman Mini and Aircraft Mini  both with AM also. They were both great quality,incredible reception and audio. But that was then.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 03:44:56 PM »

Good luck with products of yesteryear. Can't speak to newer releases because the old stuff still works and doesn't need replacing.

I suppose I better go get whats left of anything I might need before it's all gone...

WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God.

Doing good is like picking fresh blackberries - if it doesn't sting a little sometimes, you're doing something wrong.

R.I.P. Dan Huettl, God Bless
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 05:22:24 PM »

You can talk about the employees being treated poorly.....but I knew two Radio Shack managers.  Now if you want to talk about being treated poorly......there is the perfect example.  This poor treatment started at the top and ran downhill....like sh..! 

When the manager isn't happy, ain't nobody happy!  Radio Shack's future was written on the wall many years ago and it was throwing good money after bad that kept them going as long as they did.

I did have the experience of going to a Radio Shack in Boston in 1954.  Now THAT was a sight to behold!  Absolutely fantastic!!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 06:18:03 PM »

It's kind of sad.  Their HTX-202 and 404 were the first radios for many new hams, as was the HTX-100 ten meter SSB mobile.  The ones in good condition are still sought after today on the used marketplace.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 07:17:26 PM »

I just stopped in to one of the only Radio Shacks left in Dallas and he didn't know anything about the bankruptcy, he did say that we have a lot of things on sale though. ??
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 07:48:04 PM »

It is sad.I am sad. Another good thing gone by the way side.Trying to make radio shack great again like ham radio is and will always be because of the people in the hobby.Have a joyous day.God Bless https://youtu.be/694TX2lQ7Uo
https://youtu.be/J2jRuh1bAxw
https://youtu.be/MpoX6Mh4kLw
https://youtu.be/CZSiOtirXDU
https://youtu.be/LIBftst02xA
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:02:52 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 09:44:51 PM »

Wow KTN, I really liked those old commercials, brings back a lot of memories, thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: