The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silly Qustion  (Read 12476 times)
W4BOW

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »

I haven't participated in contesting much, so I have a question. At the end of the contact after I give the signal report to the contestant,  they asked for a number. What number are they asking for??

Thanks for the help! W4BOW
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 07:14:47 PM »

...  they asked for a number. What number are they asking for??

If you want to take part in any contest, it's good to know what the exchange will be and in what order.

So, first check out a "Contest Calendar" such as WA7BNM ...
http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php

And next you might want to brush up on Contesting FAQs from this site ...
http://www.qsl.net/zs1an/contesting_faq.html

The point of any form of operating is mainly fun, and participating in a contest on a casual
basis will sharpen you operating skills, see how well your station performs, and maybe pick
up a few contacts for WAS / DXCC or whatever.

It's not necessary to submit a log (via computer file) to the contest sponsor unless you want to.

So enjoy. Hope this helps you out.

73 de WA2ONH   ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There is no shame in not knowing; The shame lies in not finding out"
W4BOW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 09:39:11 PM »

Many thanks for the reply! I now realize that contesters are asking for sequencing on the logging software. Since I am not presently logging, I guess I should probably avoid the contesting.

Many thanks for the links! I am saving them.
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 04:15:54 AM »

No need to avoid the contests.  Just keep track (for your benefit) the number of contacts you make during the contest, giving the next contact the next number.  You don't have to submit a lot, and the contester will be happy to have made an additional contact.
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 08:09:10 AM »

Not every contest uses progressive serial numbers as part of the exchange. Some use transmited power, operator age, year the operator got his license or province/state/area abbreviations as part of the exchange. So check the rules to see what the exchange should be.
Another thing, in contests everybody is 59 or 599. Don't bother sending a "real" report, most will log it as 59/599 anyway.

There are a couple of contest logging programs you can download free of charge. N1MM+ is probably the most popular. If serial numbers is part of the exchange of the exchange, N1MM+ will keep track of the numbers for you.

Please don't shy away from contesting and please don't be afraid to ask questions. Nobody was born with all the knowledge about contesting.

Have fun!

AA8TA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 10:33:07 AM »

Don't avoid contests.  Just listen for a while; with most of them, you'll pick up the exchange soon enough.  If you do not intend to submit a log, you could get away with sending 1 or 001 as the sequence number.  Or just guess what the next number should be.

Some require that you know your CQ zone or specific ARRL section (for example, Northern Florida or Eastern PA) so you should figure that out ahead of time.  As mentioned, a quick perusal of the contest calendar will tell you what the exchange is.

Maybe, you'll find out how much fun contesting is and want to do more.

TU es 73 de Joe AA8TA
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »

Don't avoid contests.

Good advice.

Just listen for a while; with most of them, you'll pick up the exchange soon enough.  If you do not intend to submit a log, you could get away with sending 1 or 001 as the sequence number.  Or just guess what the next number should be.

Really, really, really BAD advice!!! If you are just going to stumble around and give some random numbers, just tune to one of the WARC bands or use a mode other than the one the contest is using or just turn your radio off. You are not only wasting your time, but you are wasting the time of those who are legitimately working the contest.

Some require that you know your CQ zone...

Your CQ Zone is 4.
Your ITU Zone is 8.

...or specific ARRL section

Your ARRL Section is Tennessee.

As mentioned, a quick perusal of the contest calendar will tell you what the exchange is.

This is actually good advice. The rules are there for a reason.
W4BOW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 07:45:20 PM »

Thanks guys for all the advice!  I'm learning!  Lot's of contesting this weekend.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 03:23:03 PM »

Thanks guys for all the advice!  I'm learning!  Lot's of contesting this weekend.

This sounds like a good opportunity to "get your feet wet" in contesting.  You may or may not really enjoy it.  But the best way to find out is to give it a try.  You can put as much or as little into working the contest as you like.  Sometimes it is fun to challenge a ham friend to see who does the best in a particular contest. It is all up to you, and welcome aboard.
KG5RJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »

I don't contest, but I'll sometimes respond to contest calls.  I'll try to listen first to make out what information the contester needs, but if I can't tell, I have no qualms about simply responding with my callsign, giving my name, a 59 report, then asking if they need anything else.

If the contester is a jerk about it (only happened once), then I'm glad I slowed the alpha-hotel down a bit.

Shane KG5RJS
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 11:16:12 AM »

I don't contest, but I'll sometimes respond to contest calls.  I'll try to listen first to make out what information the contester needs, but if I can't tell, I have no qualms about simply responding with my callsign, giving my name, a 59 report, then asking if they need anything else.

If the contester is a jerk about it (only happened once), then I'm glad I slowed the alpha-hotel down a bit.

Shane KG5RJS

So let me see if I have this straight....

Even though the link to the most popular contest calendar has been posted countless times in countless threads where you can find out the rules INCLUDING THE EXCHANGE for just about every contest, you decided you would try and figure it out on your own and then when a legitimate contester gives you a hard time about it, that makes HIM an "alpha-hotel", not the person who decided to jump in totally unprepared and just take a wild a$$ guess at what you think the exchange might be! So here's a guy playing by the rules and then you come along and take a great deal of pleasure in slowing him down because you decide to jump in without knowing the rules. So who is the real "alpha-hotel" in this case, him or YOU??

If you don't like contesting, then don't. But don't interfere with those of us who do enjoy that aspect of amateur radio.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:27:32 AM by N0IU » Logged
KG5RJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 11:29:24 AM »

So let me see if I have this straight....

Even though the link to the most popular contest calendar has been posted countless times in countless threads where you can find out the rules INCLUDING THE EXCHANGE for just about every contest, you decided you would try and figure it out on your own and then when a legitimate contester gives you a hard time about it, that makes HIM an "alpha-hotel", not the person who decided to jump in totally unprepared and just take a wild a$$ guess at what you think the exchange might be!

If you don't like contesting, then don't. But don't interfere with those of us who do enjoy that aspect of amateur radio.

Or ... he could just respond with what he needs, I give it to him, then he thanks me for the contact.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »

Even though the link to the most popular contest calendar has been posted countless times in countless threads where you can find out the rules INCLUDING THE EXCHANGE for just about every contest, you decided you would try and figure it out on your own and then when a legitimate contester gives you a hard time about it, that makes HIM an "alpha-hotel"

I once got an the air (late) for a JARTS contest and when the other guy gave me "599 72" I decided it must be a serial number contest so I gave him "599 1". He then informed me (very politely) that the exchange was supposed to be my age :-)

In other words, even us die-hard contesters need a little on-the-air handholding :-).
KG5RJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 01:49:39 PM »

In other words, even us die-hard contesters need a little on-the-air handholding :-).

Also, often I'm mobile, and I'll not be able to consult the website.  It's not a big deal, it's just a contest, and at some point later they'll be repeating "CQ contest" over and over with no response.  Might as well take a few extra seconds to get my contact now - at least that's how I figure it.

-Shane KG5RJS
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 11:01:37 PM »

He then informed me (very politely) that the exchange was supposed to be my age :-)

As a contester in digimodes I always have a macro nicely asking what I need. Being rude about it serves 2 things: you scare new future contesters away and you lose this qso.

Mostly (low power) rtty contesting using OQ6A, sometimes dxing using ON5MF
in november '14,'15,'16,'17 and '18 also OP5MF, special prefix in commemoration of 100 years WW 1

www.on5mf.be
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: