The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Committee for New Entry-Level License  (Read 22778 times)
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2017, 10:01:30 AM »

The ARRL material is dense, dull, dry and reads like a phonebooktextbook so it's near impossible hard to learn from.  I found it impossible tough to use when I originally got my license and I had some electronics/radio background. 
Frankly the A.R.R.L. material put me to sleep

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
W8CWM

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2017, 01:35:27 PM »

I have just reread all of the post in this topic and what I got out of it is most of the replies was that person wanting to make their personal interest better/easier for themselves, not better over all. I think if all extras had to pass the new extra exam for their renewal most would wind up generals or techs. For instance how many can name the different types of transistors and how they function in an electric circuit, as a current extra you should know it. It is human nature to want our interest to be top of the list. BUT remember that ham radio is there to encourage advancement in the communications world. If we were to be totally honest we would have to admit that CW is rapidly becoming a an unnecessary part of communications as it is being replaced by better, faster, and more secure ways of communicating. For many of us cw may always be a first love but to others it is a reminder of days that are obsolete.   I believe that we should all keep an open mind and try to encourage both the young and old to join our ranks. 50 years ago a ham license on your job application meant a lot but in today's world of college and tech schools, not so much. I also believe that proper operating  procedures should be a major portion of the tech test. Thanks for allowing my opinions.
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2017, 01:52:18 PM »

I may not agree completely, however, well said Bill.

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
OH2FFY

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2017, 12:33:55 AM »

It is clear to me that the term "dumbing down" is not strong enough to describe the current direction the ARRL is going with this new, entry-level license. 

The ARRL isn't the only ones.
The results of this new breed of Hams is worrying indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=QS7OjL-_bAw

gregW:-)  OH2FFY
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »

THIS IS W8CWM

I have just reread all of the post in this topic and what I got out of it is most of the replies was that person wanting to make their personal interest better/easier for themselves, not better over all. I think if all extras had to pass the new extra exam for their renewal most would wind up generals or techs. For instance how many can name the different types of transistors and how they function in an electric circuit, as a current extra you should know it. It is human nature to want our interest to be top of the list. BUT remember that ham radio is there to encourage advancement in the communications world. If we were to be totally honest we would have to admit that CW is rapidly becoming a an unnecessary part of communications as it is being replaced by better, faster, and more secure ways of communicating. For many of us cw may always be a first love but to others it is a reminder of days that are obsolete.   I believe that we should all keep an open mind and try to encourage both the young and old to join our ranks. 50 years ago a ham license on your job application meant a lot but in today's world of college and tech schools, not so much. I also believe that proper operating  procedures should be a major portion of the tech test. Thanks for allowing my opinions.

PLANKEYE

This gentleman makes some very important points.  If we were to be honest ham radio is rapidly becoming an unnecessary part of communications as it is being replaced by better, faster, and more secure ways of communicating.  Scrap the test.   
WE4B

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2017, 09:05:19 PM »

My ten year old daughter who will soon take her General exam might disagree with you. Granted, she didn't take a CW exam like I did but she's active in the hobby and is fascinated with satellites.

The problem is that the 'early retirees' are actually people like me who got older and got laid off. Fortunately, I had earned a pension and had a big 401K at the time. Most people in the current generation won't be so lucky. So, I'm a bit concerned that the 40+ group of well heeled people of leisure are dwindling faster than we know.

We do need younger people.

Why? Why do we need younger people?....this has been, is and always will be a hobby dominated in it's demographic by men, middle aged, and older of moderate to high income levels.....guys like me who got a license at age 18 are the exception, as well as those even of younger age.....that's not to say people who aren't men, middle aged and/or older can't or shouldn't get into the hobby......I'm just saying it not a frequent occurrence and probably never will be..... when I was younger, my interests were sports and girls (even though they weren't interested in me, and pretty much still aren't... Roll Eyes Tongue).....but yes, ham radio was there too.....that's not the way it is with the majority of young people...When I first started getting on 2 meters at age 20, and went to a ham club meeting for the first time, i was kind of flabbergasted that every guy there was pretty much in their 40s and older....I was probably the youngest guy there at the time....have to admit, i felt kind of out of place....some of those guys were cool....some of them were ....well...ya know... Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue... .....how many young people do you know out there who want to be involved in a hobby dominated by a bunch of old(er) guys?...how many young people have a budget or income to blow money on radio gear?...how many young people do you know have the time for such an endeavor?.....younger people are going to do what younger people are going to do....no matter what..and this nonsense of another "entry level" license being the solution is just that...Nonsense....it won't change a thing......get over it with this with this we need more younger people thing....Ham radio is what it is....and doing stupid stuff like taking on another exam a 5 year old can pass for a newly developed lower grade of license is not going make it better.....

V
K3NRX

PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »

KC9NRN

When I went to Dayton to take the Tech exam in 2008 there was an 8 year old girl there taking her Extra which she easily passed. I asked her afterword's how hard was the test, she smiled and said she wishes there was a harder level to make it interesting. I felt like a moron talking to this kid....

PLANKEYE

The test is very easy to pass we all know this and a lot of people are making money from making it easier to pass.  Gordon West, hamtestonline ETC...  Ham radio today is pretty much CB radio from the 1970's with a twist.  You have to quote PASS a test a 8 year old can pass and then you have legal access to radios and amplifiers that you can also USE legally.  If you listen on the air and close your eyes it's 1976 again except they are legal and run WAY better rigs and MUCH more power.  The language and respect level is horrific with no enforcement of the rules you had to know to pass the test.  I don't get that people don't understand this.   
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2017, 10:24:41 AM »

The test is very easy to pass we all know this and a lot of people are making money from making it easier to pass.  Gordon West, hamtestonline ETC...  Ham radio today is pretty much CB radio from the 1970's with a twist.  You have to quote PASS a test a 8 year old can pass and then you have legal access to radios and amplifiers that you can also USE legally.  If you listen on the air and close your eyes it's 1976 again except they are legal and run WAY better rigs and MUCH more power.  The language and respect level is horrific with no enforcement of the rules you had to know to pass the test.  I don't get that people don't understand this.   

Wow.  Do you ever sound familiar.  Wow.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: