The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Italian DXpedition Team, J5T Guinea Bissau AF020  (Read 8675 times)
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »

Hopefully a low band or two.

Obie N5VYS
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 12:48:54 PM »

Don't need any modes from J5
but 80m cw would be great.
As well as 10-12-15-17 any modes.

Good luck with the dxpedition.

You guys always do a great job !!!!!

WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 06:55:05 AM »

But they also encourage cheating.

What "cheating" is encouraged?  Exploiting the faint hope that you can figure out you are "in the log" due to a busted call (busted to be your call), if and when it happens?  If that is what you have in mind, you are letting the unlikely get in the way of the highly useful.

On-line logs are boons, they cut down drastically on dupes.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 07:53:32 AM »

This is only the IDT-Lite without JA3USA along.   Cheesy
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »

Real time on-line logs are great.

Obie N5VYS
K4HB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »

What "cheating" is encouraged?  Exploiting the faint hope that you can figure out you are "in the log" due to a busted call (busted to be your call), if and when it happens?  If that is what you have in mind, you are letting the unlikely get in the way of the highly useful.

On-line logs are boons, they cut down drastically on dupes.

I agree, online logs cut down on dupes. I love them, and dread it when a DXpedition announces online logs won't be uploaded until after the operation is over. I was talking about real time online logs. How do they encourage cheating? If you are tying to work a DXpedition that has real time logs and hear a station constantly sending 5nn over and over, you may have your answer right there. Ops who can't copy well enough to work the DX can keep sending 5nn every time the DX sends a call that may have one letter and the number in their call, if that much. They can keep doing that until they appear in the online log, then put it in their log as "worked."

I heard a station about 50 miles south of me doing just that some years ago, when I believe real time logs were first being used. At least I had never heard of them until then. Heard him send 5nn and figured he just worked the DX. He did the same thing a few moments later. And he did it again and again. I was wondering how may times this guy was going to work the DXpedition on the same band/mode. I was reading the DXpedition's page and learned about their real time logs. I noticed that once he was in their log he stopped replying to their call. And I've heard other ops do the same thing when real time logs are being used.

I realize there's other ways of cheating with remote stations and such. I'm just saying real time logs are one of them.

VU2CDP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 10:37:22 PM »

Real time on-line logs are great.

Obie N5VYS

Yes, as long as all the qso are synced. What i have observed with both VK9MA and 9U4M is that there is at least one station in the whole mix whose logs are not updating real time. This proves counter-productive because people are accustomed to seeing their qsos show up and when that doesn't happen, the dupe rate actually goes up. IMHO, frequent batch uploads at well-defined intervals are better.

Deepak VU2CDP
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 11:34:36 PM »

He did the same thing a few moments later. And he did it again and again. I was wondering how may times this guy was going to work the DXpedition on the same band/mode. I was reading the DXpedition's page and learned about their real time logs. I noticed that once he was in their log he stopped replying to their call.

I still don't understand this.  If I go, exactly, by what you wrote, here's what you seem to suggest:

1. A would-be cheater sends 5nn.  Repeatedly and endlessly.  And, if I go by you, nothing else.
2. At some point, the cheater sees his call in the log.
3. The cheater stops sending.

I suppose this works, but then, so does buying lottery tickets.

For this to work, as you stated it, the DX has to:

1.  Bust someone's call.
2.  Not here the station the DX is actually working try and correct the DX.
3.  Have the DX actually bust the call to be exactly equal to the cheater's call.

Now, I will grant that 1 and 2 happen a lot.  I will not grant that #3 happens often enough to matter.  I also don't understand (again using the cheat as you stated it) why the cheater bothers to send anything at all, either.  Who would know?  How did you, for that matter?

What seems to me more likely is that you didn't hear everything the supposed cheater sent.  In particular, they must have sent their call at least often enough for the DX to have actually heard it. 

Which puts it in some other category other than a cheat.  Their call was heard.  Their 5nn, presumably, was heard even with many repeats.  So was the call.  DX stations do not always work in strict order, either.  They can start to work someone, work someone else, and then (not common but happens) find the station they lost and finish that QSO.  It's much more likely than the cheat scenario you cite.
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 01:22:04 PM »

Great signal on 20m SSB now! Just snagged them for an ATNO! Thanks guys  Cheesy

KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »

And here is how they sound over here: S-7 to S-9! https://youtu.be/P7pVIQjKPng

KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 08:50:38 AM »

Not super loud, but easily workable on 18.148 right now. For the time being they are simplex....

N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 10:59:01 AM »

Congrats on the new one.

Worked on 160m last night for my last band needed.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 11:34:27 AM »

Nice job Mason.  You've been cleaning up the last few weeks.  Once you hit about 250 the sledding gets tougher.
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »

Thanks! I hit a roadblock at 130 and then I upgraded my antenna system on some bands and the new ones started coming in again. Some were easy countries like TA, and ZS. Some semi-rare stuff like CE9, and 4L. And of course, the rare countries such as 9U, and J5.

Still a ways to go before I hit 250 though haha!  Grin

KK7JS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 04:43:00 AM »

Good signal on 80m last night but the pileup was too thick for me to get through. Hope they'll be back there often so it can thin out some.

Was interesting to watch on the panadapter the simultaneous 9U4M and J5T pileups. Glad to see they didn't end up interfering with each other.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: