The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Italian DXpedition Team, J5T Guinea Bissau AF020  (Read 7937 times)
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 05:32:39 AM »

Worked on 80m cw last night.   Big pile.  They were much louder than 9U4M.

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 06:17:34 AM »

They had a pretty good signal last night on 160 meters at about 0000Z.  But were not working many US stations.  Tried but didn't get through.  They had a very strong signal on 80 with a HUGE pile up.  Again no love.  Will try again tonight. 

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 07:48:34 AM »

They were really easy on 30 meters a couple of nights ago.  Good signal with very few callers.  Didn't need them on 30 but since there were no takers figured it couldn't hurt to call.  They were a new country for my Kenwood TS950SD I picked up a month ago. 

I can use them on RTTY and 12 and 80 meters.  Heard them on 12m the other day but couldn't break the pileup.  Glad we have some propagation left on that band.  The dual receive on the TS950 sure helps in pileups.

73 John AF5CC
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 08:20:01 AM »

It was great to work them on 10 CW this morning after working a couple stations in Florida on E-Skip.

Zack W1VT
KF0QS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 03:41:05 PM »

I have to admit, their operation is pretty slick.  I just worked them (about 15 minutes ago on 20 meters) for an ATNO (yeah!!!).  Within 2 minutes, I found myself in their online logbook, put in the time of my QSO and had a confirmation that I would receive a card (a donation is required but they deserve it after all the trouble and expense they've gone through).

I know that someone will say that; "back in the day, we didn't have all this new-fangled stuff and were better for it."  But I have to say it's pretty satisfying to know that you're confirmed and will get a card within minutes of the QSO.

I'm amazed that these guys were able to pull it off.  Certainly, I don't expect that from every DXpedition, because I realize that not everyone will have access to that level of infrastructure.

Thanks guys.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 05:09:23 PM »

While I do like the idea of "instant gratification" of confirmation that you are in the log, there was an documented incident with VK0EK, where someone who likely could not copy their own callsign, was on 30m and just "picked a frequency" and kept sending his callsign while looking at VK0EK's software page that told you when you worked them. 

While J5T's almost instant confirmation is not the same as VK0EK's, it still could be abused.   

W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 08:10:50 PM »

COndx rough on 75/160 but with rcving antenna managed to work them..but it was work...CW always gets thru!
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 10:38:29 PM »

While J5T's almost instant confirmation is not the same as VK0EK's, it still could be abused.   

It looks to me to be the same software, actually.

KF0QS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 11:04:33 PM »

While I do like the idea of "instant gratification" of confirmation that you are in the log, there was an documented incident with VK0EK, where someone who likely could not copy their own callsign, was on 30m and just "picked a frequency" and kept sending his callsign while looking at VK0EK's software page that told you when you worked them. 

The thing about that, then, is that the individual didn't complete the requirements for a QSO.  Although the online log confirms that the DX station heard him, he still has to hear the DX to complete the QSO (merely hearing some cw without being clear that it is the DX station and that it is responding to him isn't sufficient).  I recognize that it is a bit naive for me to expect someone to complete both sides of a QSO, but come on folks!  It's a hobby!!!  Why cheat?  I thought we were doing this stuff for the pleasure of doing something well.  I don't want to have a certificate on my wall that I didn't truly earn.

Oh well ...
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 11:23:40 PM »

I don't know how one could be sure of this incident.  Was everything certainly heard?  But, taking it as proven, I don't see this as a source of a significant amount of cheating.

You can, in fact, raise a big argument about "what is a QSO".  I think there should be two exchanges of some kind.  What amounts to "Hi I am me" on both sides and "thanks, I heard you, Mr. OT4ER" on the other.  But, that's just me.

However, at need, I'm sure that some QSOs, even without this technology, have been recorded and credited where (at least) the non-DX side didn't actually hear much besides the first exchange.  Even Clublog permits that sort of thing (we've discussed how before).

I don't think that most hams are interested, truth be told, for the reason you state.
LA7DFA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 11:36:15 PM »

Worked J5T on 160 & 80m last night.  Good signals, and pretty easy to get trough.

Making the QSO available as manual search, is fair.  One could question if VK0EK did present too much info.
I guess we are in a period when these things develops, and tries to find its final form.

I must admit it was entertaining to watch the VK0EK realtime QSOs!
Seeing your friends and other known stations making it, was awesome.

If someone wants to have a cheaters diploma, thats really their own mental problem.
I am in this hobby for the challenge & fun.  Loving it!
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2017, 07:52:15 AM »

Heard them on 15 Fri really nice signal knocking the socks off Eu...
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2017, 08:58:17 AM »

Just worked them on 15 CW fairly easily. 

Got the two bands I most needed.  If somehow 12 and 10 open up (barely possible) maybe I can get those, too.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »

Since I made a contribution to the Heard Island DXpedition, I had my confirmation through LOTW less than 20 minutes after the QSO!  Never would have dreamed that anything like that would be possible when I first was licensed in 1980.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2017, 05:22:39 PM »

They are fairly loud on 80cw tonight.   Best I have heard them since they got on 80cw.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: