The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPEAKER for SWLing  (Read 14652 times)
KD2E

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2017, 07:10:17 AM »

I have an R8B. I don't have the external Drake speaker.
I tried an external speaker of another brand, but the internal Drake speaker sounds better.
I suspect there is a chance the external Drake speaker may not sound much better.
Is there an external speaker that is GUARANTEED to sound somewhat better than the built in little 3" internal
Drake speaker?

Thanks for any experiences!
....Dave
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »

The R8A may be able to drive a quality 3-way home stereo speaker for comparison. Are you trying to listen to music or voice? Are you trying to get better hi or low frequency response? Where do you typically keep your tone control set at?
The 4Ω speaker impedance value should match to output impedance. The amp spec says 2.5 watts @ 10% distortion and while that isn't 'hi-fi', it should be OK.

N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 11:06:06 AM »

Hi Dave, I have a R8A with the Drake speaker. It's 'ok', not the best I've ever heard. But, it looks good.
Here's a few 'tips'.....
1. make or buy a speaker switch. Amazon has some nice ones, cheap. It's too hard to determine what sounds best to YOUR ears, by unplugging and re-plugging a bunch of cables.
2. One of the best sounding speakers in my (way too large) collection, is a Sony Surround Sound speaker, center channel. These and lots more can be found at the local thrift store. I paid $2 or $3 for it.
3. If you want a awesome speaker, try a Kenwood KES-5.
4. the exact same speaker is a Macom, at 1/2 the price.

Look at the reviews here and you'll see for yourself.
I usually have 3 speakers connected to a receiver, using a speaker switch. Quite interesting to switch speakers on the 'fly' to select the best for any given signal.

ron
N4UE
KB8LZG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:47:51 AM »

My R8b has a two line outputs, I figure yours does too.
I have found that any powered speaker works OK.
I have a small subwoofer too that makes it sound nice when listening to music.
I even used the aux input of my sangean model one, that worked well too.
It has amazzing base when the right amp/speaker is is used.
 tp
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 03:15:14 AM »

According my ears, the "VISATON M 10/4" is the best http://www.visaton.de/en/chassis_zubehoer/archiv/m10_4.html . No need for an amplified system, the 4ohm version matches perfecty the Drake and the voice is clearer than anything I have tried. Due to the enclosed rear no housing is necessary !!!!
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 07:51:43 PM »

The Sony, Pioneer, and KLH, etc. "surround sound" speakers are pretty good for the money, if you find one in the $1-$5 range.

Radio Shack Minimus .5 are very good, and the Minimus 7 is on the high end of acceptable.

Side by side, a Minimus 7 for $30/pair sounds better than a JRC NVA-319 for $300.

What doesn't sound good, IMO, is the generic 3-way black or white "outdoor speaker" thing. They generally go for about $20-$30/pair. They sound actually somewhat OK on music at low volume, but horrible for SW or other HF audio.

If you can find one, the vintage any-brand 8" full range wall speaker with volume and/or tone control is king for SWL. Big 'ol paper cone & whizzer cone, wood cabinet, enjoy.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:58:25 PM by K5TED » Logged
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »

It's thought by many, myself included, that a great but very inexpensive speaker for SW or general ham use
is a center channel speaker from a TV sound system. They are about 4-5" high and 10-12" wide. They are designed
to best reproduce the human voice in movies. I have three which I have found at various thrift stores. Price range
$5 to $8. 

Russ - W8ATA

N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 07:58:35 AM »

The best "accessory" speakers (offered by an OEM) I've come across so far are the Yaesu SP-101 and SP-901. Those are the units without the built-in phone patches.

I'd also give a thumbs-up to the Kenwood SP-820 but those darned push button switches that control the internal passive filter ...  Embarrassed
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 04:56:20 PM »

Side by side, a Minimus 7 for $30/pair sounds better than a JRC NVA-319 for $300.

They really are amazing little speakers.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 06:38:05 AM »

Forget speakers.

Headphones is where it's at. External noises including crying babies and whining women
are blocked. Pleasant noises abound thereafter.

73 and wear that seat belt.

Kraus
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 07:07:51 AM »

...External noises including crying babies and whining women...
Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »

Affordable but good midrange speakers can deliver crystal clear voice and CW. For long periods headsets may be heavy, the wires and connectors break easily (just count how many headsets you have broken), and become dirty.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 06:37:27 PM »

Normally I like to use center channel speakers out of a surround sound group. I have a Bose, an Optimus, a Denon, and a Cambrige Soundworks I've used for SWL. But now I run my Icom R75 into a Denon AVR-2800, and my Icom R71a into a Sony STR-D790. I can then tailor the sound across 4-6 speakers to suit the comms. You hams sound pretty darn good coming through these AV receivers. My nightly listening habit is WTWW on 5085kHz when they play all that music from my younger days. When I ride down the Rfgain for fade, and hit the wide filters, hell this music on the shortwave sounds almost as good as FM, which is great because I'd never hear the music WTWW plays anywhere locally in MW or FM.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »

I'm sure the originator of this thread is probably as confused now as when he asked the question.  Most hams usually have a bunch of old speakers as left overs from stereo systems long gone.  So in my opinion a medium sized two or three way speaker is all you need to enjoy good receiver output. You don't need powered speakers either because a couple of watts output will drive these smaller speakers.  Of course each speaker you use has its own acoustic and AF response so you can experiment with any number of these; but in the end most stereo speakers will do.  I just sold eight such speakers at a local hamfest for $5 each.  I pick them up from my town's recycling center; it's amazing what people throw away.  Don't spend much time wringing your hands over this...and you can save yourself a lot of money by not buying amateur equipment manufacturer's matching speakers; these are a rip off.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »

I'm sure the originator of this thread is probably as confused now as when he asked the question.  Most hams usually have a bunch of old speakers as left overs from stereo systems long gone.  So in my opinion a medium sized two or three way speaker is all you need to enjoy good receiver output. You don't need powered speakers either because a couple of watts output will drive these smaller speakers.  Of course each speaker you use has its own acoustic and AF response so you can experiment with any number of these; but in the end most stereo speakers will do.  I just sold eight such speakers at a local hamfest for $5 each.  I pick them up from my town's recycling center; it's amazing what people throw away.  Don't spend much time wringing your hands over this...and you can save yourself a lot of money by not buying amateur equipment manufacturer's matching speakers; these are a rip off.
Why would you say this? People gave some good suggestions here about what worked well for them, and you act like all but your advice is confusing and causing OP to wring his hands.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: