The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPEAKER for SWLing  (Read 14226 times)
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 03:23:09 PM »

Start with a radio that has Synchronous AM available which includes the R8A and B I believe.

While I have a few very high end stereo speakers they are poor for audio restricted BCB and SWLing and let in all the hiss plus emphasize all the higher distortion products out to 20 kHz and beyond. You dont need any more than 5-6 kHz capability.

My favorites are old vintage National and Hallicrafters 8-12" ones in good condition with the bigger ones for ham AM using BC rigs to TX or others modified to sound like the AM of yesteryear.

Some of the older K-I-Y outboard speakers that contain selectable filters do very well to get rid of rumble and hiss.

Carl
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 04:58:30 PM »

Another one that is not absolutely horrid is the Bose 141. It has the single full range speaker, but is ported to enhance the bottom end. That said, with a typical communications receiver, it sounds pretty OK.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2017, 12:27:22 PM »

I’m. It sure this is the way the OP would want to go but it works well in my experience. BobHeil suggested this on Ham Nation and in hamfest talks. Get an inexpensive audio mixer...I use Behringer...and the JBL Control 2P studio monitor speakers. I’ve inserted a BHI DSP unit between the mixer output and the speaker input. The BHI unit is adjustable and switchable into and out of the feed. Set the audio tailoring for weak signal stuff or with fuller audio for SW broadcast, etc. you can use headphones with this setup or the 35W studio monitors. I use this system in my ham station as well as my receiver-only monitoring position. When I’m done, just turn down the master volume control. It’s ready to turn up when you come back.

Frank
K4FMH
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2017, 02:29:58 PM »

Synchronous detector, dsp white noise reduction and Sennheiser headphones makes for the best... oh wait, this is about speakers... never mind.

Basically if I ever find speakers that match headphones I'll buy them but so far, nope. Now if I was a contester and it was more about wearing phones for a very long stretch I might want to get serious about speakers.

I had a car setup that was just stunning for what I invested in it. It consisted of an AM radio of no particular provenance and a speaker of course. I built the speaker into an open-back box, no baffles of any kind, and just stuffed it up under the dash so all the cables and wires were holding it in place. It sounded quite good for some reason, I could make out all the lyrics of rock songs...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: