The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YouKits HB-1B MK3  (Read 4735 times)
KD4KO

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2017, 06:29:05 AM »

Been off the air for 41 yrs. On 4/13/2017 I received from VIBOPLEX a YOUKITS HB1B MK3 5 band transceiver, and MT1 tuner.
I’m 82 yrs young, and wanted to lock myself into CW only, so I can get my speed back up. I don’t have any trees to support the ends of an inverted V dipole, so I strung a 60’ end fed wire. 12 feet off ground. No QSOs so far.
On 4/30/20i7, the internal battery was a little low, so I hooked up my TRYGON HR40-5B and ran the transceiver on 13 volts. While transmitting on 40, the transceiver shut down; turned it back on but now will only receive.
I sent 2 e-mails to YOUKITS in China, but received no response. I then called VIBOPLEX. They gave me the e-mail address of a YOUKITS person in Canada. On 5/02/2017 I sent it to their Canadian address, first class mail at $36.00. I was told it will arrive  in 9 days.
Needless to say, I’m not very happy!

David E. Fahnestock KD4KO
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 10:33:09 AM »

David:

I'm 81 so can really feel your pain.  The frustration level at our age is very close to the surface.

However, let me point out....SH.. happens!  Even with megabuck rigs it happens.  However, in these cases finding a local dealer or repair center is much easier.

Have you checked your power supply output....not only for the correct voltage but perhaps ripple or stability under various loads?  Sometimes if a rig is turned on and then the power supply is energized there is a large voltage spike.  Is it possible that something like this happened?

Did you try to get someone local to have a look at the rig? 

It must be understood from the beginning that whenever you order anything from China, it's a roll of the dice.  If it craps out and you can't fix it, put it in the junk box for parts or give it to someone to play with.

While none of this is any comfort to you it must also be understood you have re-entered a different world than you're used to. 

I have gone through 60 years of change and I still have problems dealing with some of the changes.  I can't imagine being gone for 41 years and then returning. 

Perhaps now you can better appreciate the "Rip van Winkle" story!   Grin

KD4KO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 11:56:50 AM »

Yes, things have changed a bit after 41 yrs of inactivity!
The voltage displayed on the HB-1B indicated 13 volts. The transceiver is designed to operate  on 9-14 VDC external power.
David

K4LJA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 12:56:16 PM »

I love you guys.  KD4KO and K8AXW --- I am so proud of you guys for enjoying Ham Radio.  I'm only 76, but I look up to operators like you two --- and so many other citizens.  I also have a HB-1B... with Elecraft T1 tuner... and thankfully have not had any problems with either.  Wish I could help you with your HB-1B problem.  It is an amazing little radio/tuner combo and about the only radio I use these days --- at home or at our lake-side camp.  Thanks for being you -- and punching back instead of lying down and just taking it.  We all appreciate you.  Randy - K4LJA
KD4KO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 04:38:23 PM »

Randy,
Thank you for your encouraging comments!
I'm still waiting for Yimi, the YouKits Canadian representative, to get my transceiver back to me. I'm finding it harder, at my age, to get my CW speed back up. I can copy 10 WPM fairly well, but my concentration tends to drift off.
I use the HB-1B for code practice by tuning outside of the band.
When I was 10 years old, I discovered that a mechanical code practice buzzer, made an ideal spark gap transmitter when connected to a short antenna. The trouble was, the CW covered the whole broadcast band. By adding various coils I was able narrow it down to a few spots on the AM band.
Some of the neighbors must have complained, so my dad made me dismantle it.
I could send CW well, but I never learned to copy code until 1964, when I got my novice license.
David
KD4KO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »

Well, after 11 days , the HB-1B finally arrived at the YouKits Canada service reps location.
It's beginning to look like I will be off the air for a month or more!
KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 05:57:08 AM »

Hang in there kid! It's a great little rig and worth the wait. You'll like it I'm sure!

73! Tom

"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 07:06:25 AM »

Again it will be worth the wait, I was QRT for about 43 years before I got back into CW QRP only. Had to send back my kit built K1 (cold solder joints) Duh, mean while got by with my first new hi tech build an MFJ Cub 40m just fine.
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 08:24:52 AM »

Hang in there kid! It's a great little rig and worth the wait. You'll like it I'm sure!

73! Tom

I could not agree more. I own a KX2 and a KX3, but for some reason, I love working QRP with either one of my YouKits. I have the
daul band 20/40 and the Four (5) band 15 to 80. They say 17 is questionable but I am very happy with the performance on 17.

There is something that really excites me when I work all kinds of DX with a simple antenna and one of the little simple Youkits radios.

Barry
http://www.ku3x.net/portable-qrp/ten-tec-r4020
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 11:00:07 AM »

Some of those little radios are 12 volts max, not 13 or more.
KD4KO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 11:27:04 AM »

The printing on the external supply jack is 9-14VDC!
KD4KO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 01:49:27 PM »

Twenty-eight days after sending the unit to Canada, I received word from the YouKits representative, that they are still awaiting parts, and would send me their spare unit if I desired. I replied "that would be ok".
The only problem is time! It took 11 days to arrive in Canada, and being 82 years old, time is very important at this stage of my life.
I am about to go crazy with boredom, and toying with the idea purchasing a USA made CW transceiver with my limited S.S. funds.
All I wanted was to get back on the air, to get my CW speed back up, after such a long time, being inactive.
Purchasing that HB-1B MK3 and MT1, was a very bad mistake on my part!
David
KL7KN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »

Twenty-eight days after sending the unit to Canada, I received word from the YouKits representative, that they are still awaiting parts, and would send me their spare unit if I desired. I replied "that would be ok".
The only problem is time! It took 11 days to arrive in Canada, and being 82 years old, time is very important at this stage of my life.
I am about to go crazy with boredom, and toying with the idea purchasing a USA made CW transceiver with my limited S.S. funds.
All I wanted was to get back on the air, to get my CW speed back up, after such a long time, being inactive.
Purchasing that HB-1B MK3 and MT1, was a very bad mistake on my part!
David

I feel your pain, David.

I suppose you should be happy that the "Warranty" will get your rig fixed without having to ship the rig to a foreign country...  Oh, wait.

The next question you should ask yourself is what will you do after the "Warranty" period is over and you still  have no technical data to fix the rig again....

And wouldn't it have been nice and all Customer Service oriented to ship the loaner upon receipt of your rig?  Without asking?

Best of luck!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: