The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-891 and Fldigi - polling sound?  (Read 2717 times)
NE4W

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2017, 10:21:44 AM »

There is not a rig description file for the FT-891 yet, but I am using the XML file for the FT-991 and aside from a few things, it's working for things like frequency control and keying.  Some modes do not map correctly (USB and LSB for starters)

I notice that when Fldigi is running, I can hear a faint rhythmic clicking sound coming from the radio. It's almost like a wristwatch sound if a bit slower.  Changing the "Retry interval" setting affects the speed of the clicking. The process of changing frequency doesn't affect the clicking. As soon as Fldigi quits, the click stops.

I'm using the Fldigi rigcat control method.

Does anyone know what could be making this noise, and do you have any other suggestions for getting Fldigi running smoothly with the FT-891?

Thanks and 73
NE4W
NE4W

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »

Follow-up:  Info received from Michél Lino and Sam Lemons on the FT-891 users group on Facebook indicate that if turning the MON level to zero, even if you do not have MON enabled, will eliminate the clicking. Which indeed it seems to do.
KE0EYJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 07:50:58 PM »

FYI... setting the MON to 0 does remove the click sound when you have the volume turned down, but as soon as you turn the volume back up, the clicking comes along with it.

Very strange.

Any suggestions?
KE0EYJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 08:17:59 PM »

Some more to add here.

Setting the Port speed to 38400 on both the radio and the rig control program lessens the sound.  Setting the volume level to a middle setting, and then using the RF gain on the radio to find a happy medium, keeps the sound away.  But it's still there, if I really employ high RF gain and add radio volume.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 09:22:58 PM »

I have the clicking too. It’s the cat communication between the rig and computer. You logging or rig control program will impact the interval of the clicking when you adjust the timing of the polling (typically adjusted in a program and measured in milliseconds).

Wish Yaesu would fix this via firmware as it’s annoying - otherwise love the rig.
W1PJE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 02:22:30 PM »

Unfortunately, my FT-891 has a severe case of this clicking.  MON=0 does not cure my problem.

I'm in a conversation on the Facebook FT-891 group (KE0EYJ has been very helpful there) and I've contacted Yaesu support about it - waiting for an answer.  In the meantime, you can see how bad my problem is here including a demonstration that MON=0 doesn't work:

https://youtu.be/Gbwzu8G3UqE

Sorry for the 9+ minute video but I tried to eliminate as many variables as possible.  Testing I've done beyond the stuff in the video: 

• Is it related to the baud used? Answer = yes; slower bauds = lower frequencies, but you can't get rid of it by a magic "just right" baud setting.
  • Can you make it go away by increasing the time between polls? Answer = it gets less frequent but it's still there whenever any poll occurs.
  • Is it manageable in normal use? Answer = not for me, since it competes with HF internal background noise using a 50 ohm terminated antenna input at middle AF volume and gets worse as RF gain is turned down (a common thing for weak signal management).  Once you hear it, you can't un-hear it.
  • Is it grounding? Answer = probably not (I've grounded the USB cable's 0V without any change, and have tried grounding the RTTY/DATA input using a CT-39A cable with no effect along with grounding the radio itself.)
  • Can it be filtered out in audio?  Answer = no since it is impulsive and goes right across the SSB audio spectrum.
  • Does it appear in the speaker or in the headphones or both? Answer = on all of them.
  • Does it appear in the SSB audio that you are trying to use e.g. for digital modes? Answer = yes, quite clearly as seen on a waveform plot of a WAV file using e.g. Audacity.

It has all the hallmarks of a hardware problem that won't be fixed by any firmware issues - I'm running the latest versions but it made no difference.  This keeps leading me to the conclusion that it's a baked in design problem with the FT-891, and its severity may vary from unit to unit.  Trust me, I've tried everything to get rid of it.  We'll see what Yaesu warranty/tech support suggests.
W1PJE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »

Hi all,

Yaesu wants me to send the rig in, so I'll update this thread later with the results in case they might be generally useful.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »

Patiently waiting
W1PJE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 06:11:08 AM »

Patiently waiting

Me too!  Hopefully it's just my radio and they can put some filtering caps or equivalent inside the main board and fix the problem.  If it's a design flaw that is present in all radios to some extent, though, that may not be possible.  Yaesu's response will tell us a lot.  I tried to leave as much detail as possible to short-circuit a "we can't reproduce the problem" response.

Stay tuned.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 10:31:43 PM »

Glad you actively pursued this. Yes, what they come up with will tell us a lot.

Don
HB0PET

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »

Hopefully it's just my radio and they can put some filtering caps or equivalent inside the main board and fix the problem. If it's a design flaw that is present in all radios to some extent, though, that may not be possible. Yaesu's response will tell us a lot. I tried to leave as much detail as possible to short-circuit a "we can't reproduce the problem" response.

Thanks for posting this problem with all of its details, it's also interesting for me, because i've planned to buy this radio too.

Ciao
Edgar
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: