The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamfest Damage Report  (Read 28678 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2017, 05:01:18 AM »

They had video on news this morning of the "mudfest" aftermath. Many grassy areas were heavily rutted and muddy and they reported over 300 vehicles had to be hauled out of mud. Green County is going to bill DARA for repairs to grassy areas that will have to be reworked and reseeded that will cost well into the tens of thousands or more because of the scope/amount of damage. Had DARA picked a proper venue none of this would of happened. (apparently they have not learned much in 50 years) You do not have to have much experience in hamfest to realize that you do not hold big events on grass with verticals parking when rain can turn it into a swamp. May is still pretty wet month here on average. Had they held it in June or July then odds are it would not of been as muddy because ground is dryer then and it takes more rain to make a mud field. No word on how many sheep were sheared in news yet anyway.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W1PJE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 05:37:30 AM »

Were you there? 

Do you have a webpage yet for your Xenia size convention?  Let us know when we can buy tickets.  Until then, time for other more useful pursuits.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:39:53 AM by W1PJE » Logged
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 05:38:00 AM »

Waited a whole 2 days before starting the, ahem, mudslinging again.

Give it a rest, will you?
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 05:38:43 AM »

Were you there?
If he was, then he's a hypocrite and a liar.  

By the way, just to be fair, I went and did a quick search for a more... impartial news story.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/hamvention-heavy-rains-leave-behind-damaged-soccer-fields/cEpi05ruOc1jgXrRGaZFjP/
http://www.whio.com/news/hamvention-heavy-rains-leave-behind-damaged-soccer-fields/cEpi05ruOc1jgXrRGaZFjP/

Sounds like DARA and the Greene County Fairgrounds folks have the matter well in hand.  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:45:19 AM by W3WN » Logged
W1PJE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 05:48:47 AM »

Had DARA picked a proper venue none of this would of (sic) happened.

Are you on the DARA board?  If you are, why didn't you speak up with your opinions and make your arrangements happen?  If you're not, show us the evidence (aside from posting here; i.e. emails, etc.) that you complained directly.

Otherwise, this, along with the other complaining, is disingenuous at best and helps nothing at all.

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 05:50:13 AM »

What was really reported.  This from the Dayton Daily News:

".....Arnett said he used a winch on a Bobcat to help pull the vehicles out. He estimated about 250 vehiles were stuck in the mud Saturday, and another 50 or so on Sunday.

Fischer said the soccer fields will need rolled flat again. The fields are operated by Greene County Parks and Trails.

“There’s a cost of doing business,” Fischer said.

Park officials have said Hamvention organizers will help with the cleanup costs. Convention organizers have already purchased a roller.

“For the turnout they had, it’s just one of those complications,” Arnett said, who hopes to see the festival again. “They’ll go in there and straighten it up.”....."

Move along.... no biggie... nothing to see here.....
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 06:31:08 AM »

I searched but still couldn't find any media reports on the massive 10 hour traffic jams, lack of restrooms, smell of manure or any of the other Doom & Gloom JX predicted, outside of some mud, which officials quickly stated will be addressed next year.  Can't wait to see what his predictions are going to be for next year.  They will most likely involve earthquakes, basketball sized hail storms, $100 ticket prices, a zombie apocalypse and a nuclear attack by Kim Jong-un.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 06:33:28 AM »

Did the owners of the facilities have agreements in the contract that the organizers would be responsible to recontour the grass areas in the aftermath of usage? Both parties must have been aware of the results of such usage and would have accounted for it. If not, then shame on the owner for not including such a caveat in the contract. All the other personal attacks in previous postings are uncalled for. Parties enter into lease/usage agreements knowingly or ignorantly and live with the results of implied usage accordingly. Responsibility for damages is implied or defined in a contract.
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 06:48:31 AM »

Were you there?
If he was, then he's a hypocrite and a liar.  

By the way, just to be fair, I went and did a quick search for a more... impartial news story.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/hamvention-heavy-rains-leave-behind-damaged-soccer-fields/cEpi05ruOc1jgXrRGaZFjP/
http://www.whio.com/news/hamvention-heavy-rains-leave-behind-damaged-soccer-fields/cEpi05ruOc1jgXrRGaZFjP/

Sounds like DARA and the Greene County Fairgrounds folks have the matter well in hand.  

Now hold on, you can't trust everything you read on the internet!  You can only trust W8JX.  Who read about it on the internet.

Um...  Tongue
ND8M

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 06:54:08 AM »

So what was the problem?  It was muddy, the venue was damaged, and DARA is paying to repair it?  I don't see how that's a problem.  That's what happens when it's muddy.  I'm sure DARA made plenty of money to tear up and re-sod the entire venue if necessary.  And I doubt that Greene county will mind as long as the fairgrounds are repaired back to their initial state. 
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 07:07:30 AM »

The "problem" is that W8JX was ready to pounce on any little thing unless the Dayton Hamfest was flawless in every conceivable way, and even then he probably would have found something to complain about.

I wonder, is he ever going to apologize to Greene County Fairground for misrepresenting the condition of their facilities and to DARA for the lies and misinformation he spread about their organization?

Who am I kidding, this is a guy who likes cheap Chinese radios and doesn't care that they have an over 70% failure rate when tested for spurious emissions.  Roll Eyes
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 07:36:42 AM »

Growing pains.  They did have satellite paved parking and bus shuttles (I didn't use them), which seemed very convenient.  Being ham radio, maybe encouraging everyone to at least monitor talk-in when the WX goes south,  and empowering those ops with more current conditions knowledge to direct traffic to other parking locations.

As for the Flea Market....tough one.  Pray for dry WX, I guess.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 07:55:03 AM »

Were you there? 

Do you liive here? Did you see morning news with all the damaged grass and mud? Do you eally have a clue to aftermath?? I say no on all three. I was actually surprised at pictures/video on news. It was a mess

W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 07:56:57 AM »

As has been reported on threads here, on QRZ, and in comments on the CQ-Contest reflector... plans are already in progress on the flea market area.  I have confidence that DARA will find a solution. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 07:59:12 AM »

Growing pains.

Growing pains with 52 years experience? You have got to be kidding. You would expect this from someone with little or no experience and not at what is supposed to be a world class event duh...  Even I know around here you do not bank on parking cars in grass for a large event in May. This is not excusable but will be to the sheep.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: