The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamfest Damage Report  (Read 29197 times)
WA4SCA

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2017, 05:36:31 AM »

The official report is out:  29,296 attendees.  Second largest ever.
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2017, 10:22:01 PM »

Don’t Cry for Hara Arena -> https://youtu.be/8OKd9pV5W7U
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2017, 09:59:44 AM »

lyrics to Don’t Cry for Hara Arena:

You won’t believe me
You'll think it strange
When I try to explain why we stayed
In that moldering hulk
When we wanted to run
To someplace normal

Where the toilets would flush
And the sewage won’t spew
As the building fell down ’round our ears
Tradition kept us coming through

We had to let it happen
We had to change
Couldn't spend every May in that place
With the cobwebs and mice
And I heard it had bugs

So they chose Xenia
And here we are on the fairground that’s new,
And are you impressed here at all?
Or do you have the Hamvention blues?

Don't cry for Hara Arena.
The truth is, we had to leave it,
After those fine years,
Oh, such nostalgia
Enjoy your memories
They’re not as smelly

Holes in the ceilings, so when it rained
They rigged buckets to catch all the drips,
Though it seemed to us all
They were fooling no one

The place was crumbling,
Full of pollution
Like condemned property,
But for the good of the hobby we still
Kept on when we wanted to flee

Don't cry for Hara Arena
The truth is, it was a S***HOLE
With crusty carpets
And moldy ceilings
It gave us asthma
We’ll keep our distance

Have I said too much?
There's nothing more I can think of to say to you
But all you have to do
Is see the place to know
That every word is true…
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »

Think of all you've endured over the years.....e-coli rivers, mold/mildew, concessions the Health Dept wouldn't even touch, wiring and lighting fixtures hanging and violating every fire code, etc, etc.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Thanks for the memories Hara, you were the best.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2017, 08:36:10 PM »

The official report is out:  29,296 attendees.  Second largest ever.

I have no doubt that that number was greatly padded to help sell barnyard event. Public will never know true number but it was likely a LOT less.

Maybe if they counted every day and added them all up even if you came before.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2017, 08:47:18 AM »

Undocumented aliens no doubt
W1PJE

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2017, 06:03:45 PM »

I have no doubt that that number was greatly padded to help sell barnyard event. Public will never know true number but it was likely a LOT less.

From reading this, it appears you have non-public information on the actual attendance.  Can you share with us?  Or is there a link to another figure that is not the official report that you can share?
W1PJE

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2017, 04:33:05 AM »

I should clarify: it's very easy to make unsubstantiated claims with no evidence to back them up.  For example, conspiracy theorists love this approach.  ("The Illuminati control everything - and they'll never tell you what the REAL story is.") 

But we are citizen scientists in the radio world, so we should rely on actual data.  So either you have credible hard numbers that contradict the original figure, or we'll just continue to use the figure given by the organization that actually ran it - and ran it very well, from my direct experience being there for the whole weekend.

In general, it's hard to understand the level of negativity you seem to continually throw at the event.  Should I assume that you are working to fix the problem by making plans to run your own that will do it better?  Please share those so we can participate.

W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2017, 07:02:37 AM »

"Undocumented aliens no doubt "
Reptilians, Grays or 32 tooth Norwegians?  Or did I miss other types Smiley?
ugh....
Carl - W9PMZ
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »

Oh, I'm sure they counted all of the horses, cattle, sheep, and other asundry barnyard animals that were present...

Wait a moment... there weren't any present.  Well, there were some horses that were being exercised on the track from time to time, so that must be it.

Yes, DARA must have inflated the numbers by... a dozen or three horses, and another dozen or three sets of people riding or taking care of them.  Round it up and call it 100. 

There you go folks!  W8JX has done it again... DARA has inflated their attendance by... about 100!!

/sarcasm
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2017, 10:49:54 PM »

Quote from: WA4SCA
The official report is out:  29,296 attendees.  Second largest eve.

Quote from: W8JX

Quote from: W3WN
Oh, I'm sure they counted all of the horses, cattle, sheep, and other asundry barnyard animals that were present...

Wait a moment... there weren't any present.  Well, there were some horses that were being exercised on the track from time to time, so that must be it.

Yes, DARA must have inflated the numbers by... a dozen or three horses, and another dozen or three sets of people riding or taking care of them.  Round it up and call it 100. 

There you go folks!  W8JX has done it again... DARA has inflated their attendance by... about 100!!

/sarcasm

^that^ was beautiful.  thanks for making sense out of JX's filters & making me laugh  Cheesy
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2017, 11:08:01 AM »

^that^ was beautiful.  thanks for making sense out of JX's filters & making me laugh  Cheesy
You're more than welcome!  I try to do my best...

Two serious comments...

First, my understanding is that DARA counts tickets sold for attendees, along with guest passes and speaker passes.  I'm not sure how they determine the vendor count, if that is included in the attendance figures.  I'm sure that some people who buy tickets in advance end up, for one reason or another, not making it -- family emergencies, work schedule changes, loss of transportation, illness, amongst others... but it can't be that significant a number.

There are no turnstiles or other means to count who walks in every morning, and people come in and out all day  As long as you have a ticket on you to show security (and they don't have counters), you can come & go as you please.  So any assertions that the count is inflated by counting each person who attends on each day are not logical.

Secondly, I don't know or care what 'JX's issues are with DARA.  Clearly he has them, and whatever the issues are, it is sufficient that he appears to try and do everything he can to harm the organization in some form or another.  Unfortunate.  But not our problem.

That said, when it comes to attendance, roads, the venue, etc., please all keep in mind that he did not attend, wasn't within miles of the event.  He may know the fairgrounds from other events in the past, but he has no personal knowledge of Hamvention 2017.  Only what he reads in the paper or online, or heard on TV or radio, and clearly he is choosing his sources to fit his agenda.

On another web forum, we have a term for people with this type of mindset.  "Gym Teacher."  (Referring to the old stereotype, not to real, professional Physical Education instructors)
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2017, 07:46:41 AM »

I have no doubt that that number was greatly padded to help sell barnyard event.

And I have no doubt that you're full of the stuff they scoop out of a cattle pen. Smiley
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »

Should I assume that you are working to fix the problem by making plans to run your own that will do it better?  Please share those so we can participate.

Hey, W8JX has been dropping hints all over this forum about what to expect at the upcoming W8JX HamfestTM!  We already know he's lining up the Ohio Fairgrounds in Columbus for the event and that he's planning to hire chartered buses for all volunteers (what a generous guy!).  He's also hinted at dirt-cheap ticket prices, free on-site parking, 100% indoors with air conditioning, no Porta-Potties, and phone and internet lines installed for all vendors at cost. 

We're still waiting to hear about dates and where we can order tickets, but it's going to be great.  World-class, baby!
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2017, 11:19:22 AM »

GREAT !

Glad to hear W8JX is making hamfests GREAT AGAIN!
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: