The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6400M vs. Icom 7610 ?  (Read 45116 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: December 03, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »

It is impossible to sample Promises.

Stan,

How is the 7610 any different from the 6400M? Icom announced it, what, 18 months ago and are just now starting to ship them in North America?

The differences are many. Icom takes no Reservation $$$$, their future radios do not need to be financed by customer's  Reservation Dollars. Flexradio has to wait on $$$$ to be raised by customers before they will/can produce product.

Unlike countless past Flexradio products, the 7610 is a finished ready to use radio with all basic functions operational. Icom does not use customers as guinea pigs to test radios.

BEST of all, Icom does not promote a cult around their radios , and does not require all users to speak the company line to get support for their radios.  Wink  Jerry, You are a good example. I once respected your opinions but you have your head too far up Flexradio. Like many other Flexradio Lovers you are getting beyond being believable. another couple of years and you will be another Lee or Ria....... As my MaMa  told me: You lie with Dogs and you will get Fleas...

By purchasing an Icom I'd be assuring myself of the following:

1. It will probably work for decades.

2. If Icom went out of business it would be more likely the radio would retain value.

3. No threat of obsolete software making the radio a doorstop.

4. No "pay to play" software updates.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:13:58 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2017, 05:03:55 PM »

Working JT8 with a Flex 6000, now that's quite an accomplishment.   Cheesy

How so? It's actually quite trivial. Anyone with more than two brain cells can set up wsjt-x with a Flex 6000 in about five minutes and make contacts with FT8/JT65.

The comment went right over your head.  The point is you don't need anywhere near as sophisticated of a radio as a Flex to work JT8.  That is the beauty of JT8, minimal radio requirements.   Your bragging about using a Flex 6000 is humorous.   Cheesy Cheesy

Bob
K6UJ

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2017, 05:28:04 PM »

Working JT8 with a Flex 6000, now that's quite an accomplishment.   Cheesy

How so? It's actually quite trivial. Anyone with more than two brain cells can set up wsjt-x with a Flex 6000 in about five minutes and make contacts with FT8/JT65.

The comment went right over your head.  The point is you don't need anywhere near as sophisticated of a radio as a Flex to work JT8.  That is the beauty of JT8, minimal radio requirements.   Your bragging about using a Flex 6000 is humorous.   Cheesy Cheesy

And you're making zero sense, as usual. Gee, I didn't know there was a limit on how sophisticated a radio could be before you get laughed at by the likes of people like you for using it on FT8. I bet you really get a big laugh out of people using Icom 7851's, Kenwood TS990's, and Yaesu FTdx9000's on FT8.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: December 04, 2017, 04:28:51 AM »

The comment went right over your head.  The point is you don't need anywhere near as sophisticated of a radio as a Flex to work JT8.  That is the beauty of JT8, minimal radio requirements.   Your bragging about using a Flex 6000 is humorous.   Cheesy Cheesy

Bob
K6UJ

I spelled it out earlier for Jerry but he has the Flexradio Blinders and only reads Flexradio Goodness, he probably has me on Ignore...

You don't need a high dollar Flex SDR to work the JT/FT modes. Any radio made in the last 30 years will work those modes. The worst radios made will easily do JT/FT. The worst antennas will do JT/FT.  No skill needed either. Just patience..  Wink Cheesy Cheesy

Gee, I didn't know there was a limit on how sophisticated a radio could be before you get laughed at by the likes of people like you for using it on FT8.

Jerry, It IS Laughable that you would admit to using Legal Limit on FT-8. On second thought, it is NOT laughable, it is sad...   VERY SAD.

Yes, I do chase DX on FT8. Why not? Lots of DX to be had right now on that mode. I've even been known to use my legal limit amp on FT8 when I need to.  Wink

Re-read K6UJ's comments about  "the beauty of JT8, minimal radio requirements"
You need/want/desire DX so badly that you will run 1500 watts on FT-8?
What has happened to the Jerry I knew years ago???

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:45:30 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: December 04, 2017, 07:18:25 AM »

Stan,

I noticed the Hammarlund HQ-150 receiver on your QRZ.com webpage.  Brought back fond memories.  I had a HQ-150 when I was a novice.  Paid for with money I made from my paper route and mowing lawns.   Cheesy
You have a great station !  I have an Elecraft K3S and have a Flex 6400 on order. Get ready for dumb questions when I am setting up the 6400  Grin

Bob
K6UJ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: December 04, 2017, 08:58:46 AM »

I spelled it out earlier for Jerry but he has the Flexradio Blinders and only reads Flexradio Goodness, he probably has me on Ignore...

No, I don't have you on ignore, Stan.

Jerry, It IS Laughable that you would admit to using Legal Limit on FT-8. On second thought, it is NOT laughable, it is sad...   VERY SAD.

Why is that laughable? FT8 is a weak signal mode, not a QRP mode (you know the difference, right?). I use whatever power is necessary to make a contact when it's a needed DX entity. The rest of the time I typically use 15-25 watts.

How is it any more minimal than the requirements for CW, SSB, or any other mode? All it is is audio tones fed into an SSB transmitter, so it has exactly the same radio requirements as PSK31, Olivia, AFSK RTTY, FreeDV, and just about every digital mode out there.

Nothing. I still bash Flex when they deserve it. But you still seem to be bitter and holding a grudge against Flex from your Flex-5000 experience years ago. You're like a man obsessed and unable to let it go and move on--I can't think of any other reason why you'd continue to frequent this forum.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: December 04, 2017, 09:34:14 AM »

But you still seem to be bitter and holding a grudge against Flex from your Flex-5000 experience years ago. You're like a man obsessed and unable to let it go and move on--I can't think of any other reason why you'd continue to frequent this forum.

The last time I looked this forum said Software Defined Radio, NOT FLEXRADIO FORUM.
I am interested in SDR and will continue to express my opinions.

Your correct Jerry I am obsessed with telling the truth and will continue to expose alternative truths. Besides I like to talk to all my Flexradio buddies here.   Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: December 04, 2017, 09:40:35 AM »

Stan,

I noticed the Hammarlund HQ-150 receiver on your QRZ.com webpage.  Brought back fond memories.  I had a HQ-150 when I was a novice.  Paid for with money I made from my paper route and mowing lawns.   Cheesy
You have a great station !  I have an Elecraft K3S and have a Flex 6400 on order. Get ready for dumb questions when I am setting up the 6400  Grin

Bob
K6UJ

I started a newspaper route when I was 12 years old. When I got my novice license at 14yr old I almost had enough to buy my Eico 720 and HQ-100, both brand new. The Eico was a kit. MaMa loaned me some $$ as I was a little short. The HQ-100 was $200 and the Eico was $79.95. A lot of $$ back then. I could only afford to buy 2 crystals for the Eico.  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:42:42 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2017, 10:31:28 AM »

Stan K9IUQ

Sadly, on any given day or evening, I am finding more and more people who are clearly running
massive power on FT-8, while the rest of the people are running avg levels of 20 to 50 watts.
There are always one or two signal that are slamming my waterfall so completely red, that I end
up needing to steer a sharp-walled narrow notch filter across the waterfall to cut them, so that I
can actually start receiving the other signals.   Then, of course, they move, I loose everything else
do to them obliterating the other signals, and have to spend time re-tuning the notch filter again.
FYI, I rarely saw this in over 1.5 years of using JT-65.   But now, on FT-8, it is becoming epidemic.

Some one will next have to add additional software that can detect a signal exceeding s9+20,
and use CAT control to automatically steer a notch filter.   But then again, it would be easier
if there were not so many people suddenly running heavy power.  This is a recent problem.
I never really saw it on JT-65.

But then, we have now drifted far off topic of this thread.
The IC-7610's are starting to arrive for USA users.  Should have some good reviews shortly.
I am very interested in seeing when Flex ships the 6600 in volume, and if any of those users
post some detailed reviews.  For some reason, it always seems harder to find Flex reviews
than Icom reviews.   Time will tell.

Happy Holidays.

Neal
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2017, 11:14:13 AM »

Sadly, on any given day or evening, I am finding more and more people who are clearly running
massive power on FT-8, while the rest of the people are running avg levels of 20 to 50 watts.
There are always one or two signal that are slamming my waterfall so completely red, that I end
up needing to steer a sharp-walled narrow notch filter across the waterfall to cut them, so that I
can actually start receiving the other signals.

The difference between 50 watts and 1500 watts is only 14.8 dB. Propagation differences can easily result in 30-40 dB changes. Don't be so sure those signals that are "slamming your waterfall" are due to high power, because they very well might not be. I worked a guy on JT65 a while ago who had a massive signal. I thought he was running big power, but his final exchange was "73 5 watts/Dpl".

Don't complain when you're running with a 3 kHz receiver bandwidth for a mode that occupies 50 Hz. That would be the equivalent of using a 162 kHz IF filter on phone and complaining that people were slamming your IF.
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2017, 02:06:53 PM »

can actually start receiving the other signals.

The difference between 50 watts and 1500 watts is only 14.8 dB. Propagation differences can easily result in 30-40 dB changes. Don't be so sure those signals that are "slamming your waterfall" are due to high power, because they very well might not be. I worked a guy on JT65 a while ago who had a massive signal. I thought he was running big power, but his final exchange was "73 5 watts/Dpl".

Don't complain when you're running with a 3 kHz receiver bandwidth for a mode that occupies 50 Hz. That would be the equivalent of using a 162 kHz IF filter on phone and complaining that people were slamming your IF.

That is completely fair.
But I still wonder why I did not see the same amount of HUGE/LOUD signals on JT-65 as I do on FT-8?

Cheers
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »

I worked a guy on JT65 a while ago who had a massive signal. I thought he was running big power, but his final exchange was "73 5 watts/Dpl".

I still wonder why I did not see the same amount of HUGE/LOUD signals on JT-65 as I do on FT-8?

Hams lie, just like our leader(s). Jerry was honest and admitted to using legal limit on FT-8 mode. That is nothing to brag about. It shows his inner personality which is to win at all costs. Just like our leader(s).....

IMO legal limit has NO place on the JT/FT bands. Only weak hams with no conscience (and probably weak DX skills) would consider or use 1500 watts on FT-8. Hams that have NO consideration for his fellow hams.

What is next for hams that think like W6UV? Getting LOTW from Echolink and DMR Brandmeister Q's?  Sad  Sad

You are WRONG on this issue Jerry and you know it. Stop the Spin, it makes you look bad. Ponder this for a moment. What happens if EVERYONE with a legal limit (yes I have 1500+ watts available) Amp gets on FT-8???

If you do it why not everybody do it?

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:20:37 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2017, 05:26:31 PM »

You are WRONG on this issue Jerry and you know it. Stop the Spin, it makes you look bad. Ponder this for a moment. What happens if EVERYONE with a legal limit (yes I have 1500+ watts available) Amp gets on FT-8???

Give it up, Stan, you're starting to sound like a tired old man with nothing better to do than criticize others.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2017, 05:40:35 PM »

Give it up, Stan, you're starting to sound like a tired old man with nothing better to do than criticize others.

You got it half right Jerry I am an old man, tired of putting up with selfish hams who run 1500 watts on the FT-8 Bands.
Tired of hams who only think of themselves. The bands are getting full of people like you Jerry. It saddens me.

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2017, 06:16:29 AM »

You got it half right Jerry I am an old man, tired of putting up with selfish hams who run 1500 watts on the FT-8 Bands.
Tired of hams who only think of themselves. The bands are getting full of people like you Jerry. It saddens me.

Ah, gee, Stan, should I take down my towers and big yagis and only use a simple wire on FT8? Is that unfair, too, to the guys with 25 watts to a low dipole?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:19:09 AM by W6UV » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: