The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: network security of RS-BA1  (Read 3408 times)
WE6EE

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »

Has anyone networked their Icom rig as using RS-BA1 had any issues with network attacks / intrusions?

I'm interested in networking my rig but am nervous about opening up the external network ports to allow access -- particular to software from Icom that I don't really know how it works, all running on a Windows host. That the Icom documentation for RS-BA1 has not discussion of security whatsoever does not increase my confidence.

As a point of comparison, I have also experimented with networking my IC-7300 using a Raspberry Pi as the server host. In this case, I forward CAT and audio over various network ports all of which are tunneled through SSH. I can watch what goes on through SSH and am reasonably confidence the machine is secure. As a further element of security, my home network is segmented with the RPi completely isolated from the rest of the network, so even if the RPi is compromised, it can't be used to attack my other computers.

I want to try RS-BA1 rather than the linux-based approach because the radio control is just better.

If I set up RS-BA1, I will do something similar with the Windows host for the icom server, but I think just naturally a windows PC is a bigger target for attackers.

Dave
WE6EE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: