The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: postal rates to Canada  (Read 687 times)
W3TTT

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2017, 01:06:21 PM »

Am I mistaken, but wasn't the postal rate to Canada - at one time - the same as to any where else in the US?  When did the postal rates to Canada go up?  and further - what if you put a first class "forever" stamp on a card or letter and mailed it to Canada (by mistake of course)?  Would it arrive eventually?  I did send a number of QSL cards to Canada using the 34 cent forever post card stamp.  I never got them back so I am assuming that they arrived. 
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 04:15:24 PM »

Don't know about the history, but the current rate for mailing a 1-ounce first class letter to Canada is $1.15 and the current value of a Forever stamp is 49-cents.

See: http://www.currentpostagerates.org/

So if you want to use a Forever stamp (49-cents), you have to add another 66-cents postage.
Or, you could use two Forever stamps (98-cents) and add another 17-cents postage.

As noted here: https://about.usps.com/news/fact-sheets/forever-stamp-facts.htm

Customers can use Forever Stamps for international mail, but since all international prices are higher than domestic prices, customers will need to attach additional postage. The value of the Forever Stamp is the domestic First-Class Mail letter price in effect on the day of use.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 07:10:30 PM »

I've always had to add extra postage when mailing Christmas cards going back to 1998.
WD0BMS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 05:48:22 AM »

As far back as I can remember (mid seventies) postal rates to Canada and Mexico were higher than domestic postage, but not as costly as outside North America.
Now the USPS sells Global Forever Stamps for $1.15 each that are good for most places in the world.

Dave
WD0BMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: