The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit slowly making a comeback  (Read 34125 times)
G4AON

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2017, 05:20:55 AM »

Heathkit have announced a power meter kit, see
https://shop.heathkit.com/shop

Let's hope they bring a few more products out soon.

73 Dave

AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »

Heath stuff was user friendly if nothing else. It looks like they retained that in this product. It might be my nostalgia speaking but that seems like something to enhance the operating desk... It's a solder kit so the buyer gets the satisfaction of distinguishing theirself by building something useful.

Of course we could do without the power loss setting because hams should be able to extrapolate that in their head from the swr reading while copying morse at 22wpm. But hitting the button and reading it directly... priceless!

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 04:14:19 PM »

Dave, I wish them success. I recently purchased several old Heathkit receivers, both tube-type and solid state. Going through the manuals, I find the details amazing. I've built a lot of Heathkits back 'in the day' and didn't really appreciate how GOOD their instructions were.
I recently built several modern kits, and the instructions are really just a parts list. OK, the last one was from Germany and the translations left something to be desired, but it sure wasn't your Dad's Heathkit! ha ha

ron
N4UE
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 04:17:44 AM »

Heathkit have announced a power meter kit, see
https://shop.heathkit.com/shop

Let's hope they bring a few more products out soon.

73 Dave

Like Heathkit - still have fully working SB300/400 combo - kit built in 60s.

I wish them well but $575 for the power meter & $149 for that pipe antenna.......in danger of pricing themselves out the market I would have thought.

Like their digital clock, would probably have bought that for the shack even if around say $40/50,  but $99......wow!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:24:15 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 04:52:27 AM »

I think that I am going to buy the clock just for the heck of it and for the building of it. A little pricey but I don't do that every day. I have always enjoyed building Heathkits in the past.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 07:13:31 AM »

I wish them well but $575 for the power meter & $149 for that pipe antenna.......in danger of pricing themselves out the market I would have thought.

Like their digital clock, would probably have bought that for the shack even if around say $40/50,  but $99......wow!

$575 for a power meter and a directional coupler (they call a "sensor") is same ballpark as Array Solutions Powermaster II and Telepost LP-100A.

The Heathkit feature set is, well, different. They are putting in a lot of bells and whistles that someone owning a Powermaster wouldn't give a dang about. I mean, geeze, what do they think we're gonna do spend all day talking on the radio about how we're dialing our power up and down 10 watts at at time and each time we have to announce it on the air along with 60M ERP computed to 4 decimal places? Oh, wait, that's 90% of the ham market right there :-)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:15:56 AM by N3QE » Logged
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »

I don't understand what Heath is doing.  The meter is, like all of their other offerings, way overpriced for what it is.  I mean, it's in a wooden box for crying out loud.  Then there is the claim that it somehow computes ERP.  That's a neat trick without knowing antenna gain and system/feed line losses I really want to know how it does that.

Whoever they are, they certainly don't want to be known since there is no information about who the owner is or where they are located.  If I am going to spend that much money for a power meter in a wood box I want a name and phone number.  This is not the Heathkit I remember, not even close.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 09:51:31 AM »

having built the clock, it's wooden end panels with plastic sheet covers.

the power meter is way more than I would ever need or want, but for big-time band boomers, they may want the bells and whistles if they are doing any phasing of multiple antennas. fancy looking thing. keep 'er going, folks, and you'll get down to my wish list.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 10:42:39 AM »

having built the clock, it's wooden end panels with plastic sheet covers.

the power meter is way more than I would ever need or want, but for big-time band boomers, they may want the bells and whistles if they are doing any phasing of multiple antennas. fancy looking thing. keep 'er going, folks, and you'll get down to my wish list.

I have been a ham since 1965, I have built phased arrays and I don't think the Heath meter would be useful in that application.  My chief complaint about it is the price vs performance, plus the fact that it is ostensibly a kit although I am not sure how much is required to actually build it.

Like the clock you described it has wooden sides, that is not an appropriate material for high power RF applications.  As for the price, I found the exact same clock on Ebay, minus the enclosure but enclosures don't cost much.  Here is the clock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Kit-Module-9V-12V-AT89C2051-6-Digital-LED-Electronic-Clock-Parts-Components-/172623855734?epid=1482512453&hash=item28312f0076:g:4CgAAOSwpkFY74lj

Here it is in kit form, much more expensive. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Only-AT89C2051-6-Digit-LED-Electronic-Digital-Clock-Kit-military-24-hr-time-/152117218797?hash=item236ae48ded:g:5AoAAOxygj5SiFJR

Here are a bunch of small (inexpensive) wooden enclosures that you could finish yourself and do the panel with a dremel tool.

https://woodcrafter.com/boxes/wood-boxes/small-wood-boxes/
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »

Whoever they are, they certainly don't want to be known since there is no information about who the owner is or where they are located. 

https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/Document/RetrievePDF

AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »

Whoever they are, they certainly don't want to be known since there is no information about who the owner is or where they are located. 

https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/Document/RetrievePDF

Well, that did not work...but if you go to CA Sec of State website and search for Heathkit as an LLC, the registration info is available as a pdf.
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 12:55:54 PM »

Then there is the claim that it somehow computes ERP.  That's a neat trick without knowing antenna gain and system/feed line losses I really want to know how it does that.

That's what I thought. Plus, they don't show a pic of the working LCD screen, no pic of the back panel, no pic of the inside...seems pretty sketchy to me.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 02:30:46 PM »

Why the negativity on this thread? Let them do their thing. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Let's not let this develop into a TenTec-like bashing.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »

LOL well the TT funeral committee needs something to do since TT just won't die!

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 08:47:11 PM »

Why the negativity on this thread? Let them do their thing. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Let's not let this develop into a TenTec-like bashing.

Pointing out that a product is of dubious usefulness is not negative, nor is it bashing.  Heathkit disappeared a long time ago and this is nothing but some way over priced stuff with a Heathkit sticker on it.  Not bashing, just discussing.  If Ten Tec ever sells a ham radio product the same will apply, just a Ten Tec sticker because the original Ten Tec is long gone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: