The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit slowly making a comeback  (Read 35048 times)
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »

I called them 3 times today, left 3 messages and asked them to please call me back and nothing. Maybe they are not in business any more ?
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 03:17:00 AM »

I called them 3 times today, left 3 messages and asked them to please call me back and nothing. Maybe they are not in business any more ?

TenTek is e-mail only at this time. See link.

https://www.tentec.com/?page_id=12

Probably why they don't answer the phone.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 03:59:46 AM »

FIB,  I ment to say that I called Heathkit 3 times and 1 email and no answers at all. Not Ten Tec. But thanks anyway. 73, Jim. W5JJG
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:04:35 AM by SWMAN » Logged
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 04:07:45 AM »

FIB,  I ment to say that I called Heathkit 3 times and 1 email and no answers at all. Not Ten Tec. But thanks anyway. 73, Jim. W5JJG

So sorry about that Jim. Have a wonderful day! Smiley

N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 05:06:15 AM »

The power meter (et al) is NOT a Heath Kit! At least in legacy terms. This company bought the name and it could just as well been Acme Radio Co. They are obviously counting on the Heath name to suggest a rebirth. Baloney! It would be a huge mistake to confuse this impostor with the original. Heath Kit...RIP.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 07:25:05 AM »

Why the negativity on this thread? Let them do their thing. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Let's not let this develop into a TenTec-like bashing.

Pointing out that a product is of dubious usefulness is not negative, nor is it bashing.  Heathkit disappeared a long time ago and this is nothing but some way over priced stuff with a Heathkit sticker on it.  Not bashing, just discussing.  If Ten Tec ever sells a ham radio product the same will apply, just a Ten Tec sticker because the original Ten Tec is long gone.

You have your opinion, but I beg to differ. Your first two posts on this thread are decidedly negative, and your above post is negative on the "new" TenTec. A product of "dubious usefulness" is in the eye of the beholder. How useful it is will be reflected in their sales numbers. Its price is their business. I say again, if you don't think it's useful to you or the price is too high, then just don't buy it.

How can you comment (negatively) on a product you don't own, or a company you've never dealt with?  Yes, TenTec and Heathkit are not the original companies...we all know that. But, geez, let them do their thing and let their new customers form their own opinion.

I've been a ham since 1959, built many Heathkits, never owned a TenTec. Loved my Heathkits, can't comment on TenTec. If I do business with these new companies, then and only then will I let my comments be known.

How would you like it if you were starting up a new company (regardless of its name), and people we're talking it down before any new products were released? Makes no sense to me.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 09:23:35 AM »

Why the negativity on this thread? Let them do their thing. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Let's not let this develop into a TenTec-like bashing.

Pointing out that a product is of dubious usefulness is not negative, nor is it bashing.  Heathkit disappeared a long time ago and this is nothing but some way over priced stuff with a Heathkit sticker on it.  Not bashing, just discussing.  If Ten Tec ever sells a ham radio product the same will apply, just a Ten Tec sticker because the original Ten Tec is long gone.

You have your opinion, but I beg to differ. Your first two posts on this thread are decidedly negative, and your above post is negative on the "new" TenTec. A product of "dubious usefulness" is in the eye of the beholder. How useful it is will be reflected in their sales numbers. Its price is their business. I say again, if you don't think it's useful to you or the price is too high, then just don't buy it.

How can you comment (negatively) on a product you don't own, or a company you've never dealt with?  Yes, TenTec and Heathkit are not the original companies...we all know that. But, geez, let them do their thing and let their new customers form their own opinion.

I've been a ham since 1959, built many Heathkits, never owned a TenTec. Loved my Heathkits, can't comment on TenTec. If I do business with these new companies, then and only then will I let my comments be known.

How would you like it if you were starting up a new company (regardless of its name), and people we're talking it down before any new products were released? Makes no sense to me.

You are correct, I am entitles to my opinion just as you are.  I pointed out that the guts of their hundred and fifty dollar digital clock could be purchased from Ebay for under five dollars.  I also said that Heathkit kicked the can a long time ago and this is nothing but the equivalent of buying the BMW name and building Yugos for sixty thousand dollars with a BMW badge on the front.  A few of those who pine for the real thing would spring for the name plate, most would not.

Once a company is gone they are gone.  Just because a product has a name plate from a previous entity does not make it the original, never will.  Even if the products are solid gold they are still relying on the name to sell stuff.  Don't forget that you could call Heathkit in Benton Harbor and they would walk you through any problem.  They had impeccable customer service and their motto was " we won't let you fail".  

Well, this rendition of Heath does not make amateur radios, unless you consider modifying their groovy screw together amplified crystal radio that can pick up high power broadcast stations as long as they are close.  When they start selling amateur radio equipment kits at competitive prices then my negativity, as you call it, will disappear.  Until then I am amused at the stuff they offer, and appalled that there are people who would spend that much money for a Heath sticker.  

FWIW, I still have some real Heathkit equipment that I use in my shack, it was reasonably priced and still works like new and was well worth it.

And since you brought it up, I also have some real TenTec equipment made in Sevierville that works great and I plan on keeping it. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:27:53 AM by KA4DPO » Logged
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 09:35:51 AM »

Yep the funeral committee is still waiting for its victims. Too bad they have to hurt the new owners along the way based on nothing other then they don't like the current products offered. If they have a current product, they are not dead yet. Both companies do. Ah well, some never learned how businesses are run and what constitutes an active or a dead business. Just negative waves to try to bring them down!

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 10:28:10 AM »

Yep the funeral committee is still waiting for its victims. Too bad they have to hurt the new owners along the way based on nothing other then they don't like the current products offered. If they have a current product, they are not dead yet. Both companies do. Ah well, some never learned how businesses are run and what constitutes an active or a dead business. Just negative waves to try to bring them down!

There are a lot of people who can't accept the truth.  The truth is that Heathkit went out of business a long time ago and this is just a way to use their name.  They don't need a funeral committee, the funeral was in 1992 when they filed for chapter 11.  When I see an actual amateur radio, RF amplifier, or antenna tuner kit that are not toys and are competitively priced with the competition I will be mildly impressed.  As of right now they are sucker baiting weak people with a name badge that no longer has the same meaning.  Who cares what you think.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »

Who cares what you think.

LOL I do. So do others that have not tried to bury any living businesses in a grave.

Guilty conscience again? Never mentioned or quoted any call signs or names! Too funny John! You love to step into it every time! LOL

Funny how people react to reality as opposed to their own little world. Time to start the macro-economics classes again. But then some will never learn. LOL Or just refuse to be part of reality...LOL

GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »

Why the negativity on this thread?...........

Why the negativity about the negativity?  Wink

For those that feel threatened by negativity & bury their head in a cosy fluffy cloud of bliss, then maybe internet forums with negative & positive views is not the place to be.

Maybe something like a women's scone making club would be better  Grin...........
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:09:26 PM by GM1FLQ » Logged
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »

Logic goes out the window. Why bury a new company (no matter what the name) before it begins? When the products reach the marketplace, they will speak for themselves. Until then, opinions are mere fodder (or mudder Wink). I'll reserve my opinion of a company/product when and if I buy one. In the meantime, my posts are only in response to the unsubstantiated negative comments. I really think some people (not pointing fingers at anyone in particular here) just like to hear themselves talk (or see their comments in print), and not happy unless they're bitching about something or creating controversy. It's prevalent in all these eham.net forums. Then again, maybe I'm just as guilty of bitching about the bitching with my comments Grin. No personal insults intended here.

Ah well, fire away......

73,  Bob K7JQ
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 05:16:47 PM »

Why the negativity on this thread?...........

Why the negativity about the negativity?  Wink

For those that feel threatened by negativity & bury their head in a cosy fluffy cloud of bliss, then maybe internet forums with negative & positive views is not the place to be.

Maybe something like a women's scone making club would be better  Grin...........

I know you're a jokester, FLQ, (still don't know your name), and I take what you say lightheartedly, but if you're referring to me, I'm certainly not threatened by negative comments. They're OK, if substantiated by actual facts and events.

What bugs me are unsubstantiated negative comments and "opinions" about a fledgling company that is just starting up and hasn't even released its products yet. Not that it's just hurting someone's feelings, but such comments can influence potential buyers and financially hurt the new company trying to get on their feet. Not cool. I say let people form their own opinions after they've dealt with the company and purchased their products. Then they can broadcast their results, positive or negative. No need to hear from the peanut gallery beforehand.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 05:48:04 PM »

Heathkits were fun. They looked like the top of the line appliances available at the time but they never performed like them. They were not expensive I guess. Maybe the current incarnation of the brand will do ok, broaden their product line, lower prices a bit, and make a lot of hobbyists happy? It could happen...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 06:39:15 PM »

Today's Heathkit needs to get over the idea that there will be legions of old guys with soldering irons warmed up, ready and willing to throw lots of cash at anything that helps them replay the "magic" of the real Heathkit's yesteryears.  They could develop a following....eg. an improved DX-60B, for AM enthusiast wannabes, maybe?  But to build a clock radio just because it has the Heathkit logo on the front panel....eh, tough sell.

Even the "old" Heathkit had marketing problems, which led to their demise.  A new Heathkit would be very unwise to be cavalier about what they bring to market, and marketed to whom.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: