The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APRS ANALOG VS DIGITAL HELP  (Read 3267 times)
W6AOA

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »

I HAVE A RATHER OLD RIGBLASTER M8.. IT WORKS VERY WELL ON ALL MODES EXCEPT I CAN NOT READ APRS SIGNALS ON
144.390MHZ     NOT SURE IF THE SYSTEM HAS SWITCHED TO "DIGITAL" AND IF THAT WOULD NOT BE COMPATABLE WITH M8.

ANY THOUGHTS. I  USE YAESU FT857D AS SOURCE.
ED   W6AOA
KD4UPL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 06:45:51 AM »

As far as I know APRS transmissions are just packet radio, same as it was in the '90s.
WB8LBZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 06:39:45 AM »

You will need to use either an old TNC (Tiny2, AEA etc...) or use software similar to MultiPSK. KD4UPL is right, it is just packet radio. If you use a SDR receiver, you will most likely need some sort of a virtual audio cable for the connection to the MultiPSK.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX
VE6MB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 03:00:53 PM »

You didn't tell us what software you were using to try and decode the APRS signals....  ?

The Rigblaster M8 is a soundcard interface..... ie. something to handle the hardware interface between your radio and the soundcard built into your computer. But this alone wouldn't be enough to decode APRS or packet.....because you need some software working in between to act as a "soundcard modem". There are a handful of programs which will potentially do this. WB8LBZ's comment below references MultiPSK.....which sounds like it would potentially do this.(ie. decode simple packet). However, all you would be seeing (if operating properly), is the text rolling down on the screen..... it's not the same as operating APRS software.

There are people who are using "soundcard-based" modems for packet/APRS but this takes a little more effort and there are some additional layers of software needed. I agree with one of the other comments made that it would be easier to use a proper hardware based TNC instead.

However, maybe it would help if you could tell us what you hope to achieve?  Are you looking simply to decode the packets? Are you wanting to interface things with some specific APRS software?  Were you looking to try and wire this into a vehicle/mobile station for tracking purposes?

73, Tino VE6MB
Calgary, AB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: