The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Icom 7610 in trouble?  (Read 42209 times)
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: November 13, 2017, 11:21:12 AM »

Icom paid him off!
He put up a good review here, and we know the 7610 is in trouble, there is a tread about it here.
No, wait a minute.......

The FCC already approved them.  Nice try though.  I'm waiting for you to post a 1 or 2 review on the 7610 even though you will never own one.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »

I could own one, but for what I use it for the 7300 is fine.
If I were buying a new radio it would be another Anan, not the Icom.
The 7610 looks like another winner to me, although Icom may not sell as many of them as the 7300 because of the price.

VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2017, 02:21:42 PM »

I didn't redact the review.

Likely, it ran afoul of some policy because I advised people to check out my youtube videos.

That's fair enough I guess.

Either that, or the site owner really wanted it to get a 5! Smiley

Strictly as a value proposition, its still at best a 4/5.  Its a LOT of radio, and its very nice to use, but its a premium product and you pay a premium price.  The IC-7300 on the other hand was a very very good product, at a just above entry level price.

J.D. Mitchell - VK3BL / XU7AGA - http://vk3bl.wordpress.com
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: November 13, 2017, 02:44:58 PM »

Likely, it ran afoul of some policy because I advised people to check out my youtube videos.

Strictly as a value proposition, its still at best a 4/5.  Its a LOT of radio, and its very nice to use, but its a premium product and you pay a premium price.  The IC-7300 on the other hand was a very very good product, at a just above entry level price.

Lemme ask you this:  If the price of the 7610 was $1000 cheaper would it have been a 5/5 in your opinion?
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: November 13, 2017, 02:56:01 PM »

I doubt if you'll see 238 eham.net reviews in 1-1/2 years, like the 7300. Cheesy
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »

If Icom is smart they will have the 7300 and maybe down the road a MKII version then the 7610 which will be more for the HD DXer contester style of operating then maybe we will see a 7810 which will be a balls out 200W 4 receiver sdr for about $6K to $8K price range. That would cover the market real well but the next radio up grade like a 7300MKII should have there dual watch plus a video out for a display on a larger monitor.  Mny if the smaller SO2R guys have been using a pair of TS590's and now going with two 7300 which  is still less than one 7610, very interesting.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2017, 03:51:07 PM »

Lemme ask you this:  If the price of the 7610 was $1000 cheaper would it have been a 5/5 in your opinion?

Dear James,

Absolutely that would seal the deal for a 5/5 in terms of value.

The issue is its 3x the price of an IC-7300 with extra change.  Given how much you get in the IC-7300, I would have liked to have seen a little more in the 7610.

For example, it has 2 antenna inputs; it would have been nice if the receivers were phase coherent and the software had true diversity reception with "beam steering".

The ANAN 100D can do this, and a lot more, and is a similar price.  Not anywhere near as practical a radio as the 7610, but it would have been nice to see a few "advanced" or "new" features in this radio.

The big thing with the 7610 is that nothing really blows you away, like it did in the 7300.

Likely, the IC-7300 was the first time most Hams got:
-A receiver with better than 80dB of dynamic range
-A voice recorder, with keying and playback functionality
-A pan adaptor
-One cable USB connectivity for digital modes
-etc etc

Whilst the IC-7610 is a really really awesome radio, the 'first' for me has been mainly traditional 'high end' radio benefits, such as a second receiver.  I can get that in an FTDX-5000 with 200 Watts or 75 Watts Class A for the same sort of money.

I guess my point is, the IC-7610 is a very very nice, very modern high end rig, however it isn't the game changer that its little brother was.  I personally feel there is potential for more from the radio, but Icom are holding back a little.

That said, I've only just got the radio, so its possible I'm overlooking something very important.

I'm really keen for lab grade testing of the transmitter to be done.  One of the things I really want to do is play around with the 'drive' feature, accessible from the quick menu.  It lets you change the drive power to the finals; I'm very keen to see if I can bias the radio much closer to Class A and run it at lower efficiency and lower output for a cleaner signal.  25 Watts of Class A would be just fine for VK usage.

Cheers,

Jarrad VK3Bl

N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »

Unless you are a lotto winner, its always a performance to cost calculation.
A very expensive radio should be a LOT better then a cheap one, and if twice the price, should be twice the radio, better performance, more power, more options, or smaller.
At three times the price of the 7300 ($1200.00) I would not rate the 7610 a 5.
But if they never released the 7300, it would likely get a 5...
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: November 14, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »

I guess my point is, the IC-7610 is a very very nice, very modern high end rig, however it isn't the game changer that its little brother was.  I personally feel there is potential for more from the radio, but Icom are holding back a little.

I've been looking for a backup rig for my Flex-6500 and the IC-7610 was on my shortlist. But based on the reviews and videos I've seen, it's rather ho-hum for the money. At this point I think I'll skip the 7610 and bump the ANAN-7000DLE to the top of my shortlist.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »

The 7300 is a hard act to follow, I don't think Icom is going to sell 20,000 7610's in two years but maybe 3000 in two years. Then they introduced there 7300 and called it entry level I think what they meant is it was an entry level SDR with knobs but it sure made a huge splash, so much to the point were Electraft resorted to comparing Icoms $1200 radio against there $3K plus K3s cause hams were buying a 7300 instead of building block like the original K3 platform was sold on. The 7300 came along with decent specs and lab reviews that compared with higher priced radio's but those specs which were right below were far better than many of Icom's higher end radio's from there past.
Flex also came out with a knob SDR radio but at a much higher price which boasts hi end performance but has not really seen the light of day just trade/ham shows. I think there is a definite Flex user as there are Icom users but Icom's marketing approach with there 7300 has been stellar. The USA based companies have been a little off in this area only because they don't really look out of the box ans think they all are in industry leader but the truth be told they are infants in the amateur radio business.
I think VK3BL should right another review of his 7610 but omit stating to go to his youtube video's or web site, E ham may look at this as a possible link to a commercial venture and have scrubbed his 1st review because of this, just keep it to the radio and how it may have compared to others in his shack. What we have for the two other reviews is from VK hams who have above average antenna systems which is great but not everyone has that type of antenna system, more run of the mill average ham installs would also be a good test as well. I like the fact that the use of there NB and NR sections are taken into account cause I feel today more than ever we who live in a more suburban area need these tools sharpened in what we use on the bands today. Only a few lucky hams who live in the nice country side with very little QRN don't really care but for many these features are a huge plus.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2017, 11:21:40 AM »

The second review of the 7610 puts it way ahead of the 7300. When Icom designated the 7300 as "entry level" I think they had a better reference environment for determining that than most of us end users.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: November 18, 2017, 09:46:32 AM »

Clearly if I had the station we built up in the nineties with mono band stacks on 10,15&20, 3 elements on 40 and phase dipoles on 75m yes I think I would be right in choosing a IC-7610 or FTDX5000 and that is providing the 7610 lab tests as good as the FTDX5K did but a triband beam not even at 40' and dipoles on 40&75 rigs like the IC7300 or FTDX3000 are plenty good enough when the band gets busy during contest time. If you look at some of the top stations unlike K3LR who seems to always have the best radio's at his station but many of the other stations don't always have the best radio but having good op's is more important.
N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: November 18, 2017, 10:55:31 AM »

I was all set to buy the IC-7610 inspite of the fact it is an unestablished, un-reviewed and relatively unknown product. But when they reveled the price of $3900 I thought back at how much I paid for my 7600. $3400 - $200 rebate I think it was, and now it can be purchased new for under 2 grand and you get a Heil Microphone.  With that in mind I thought, why were they so secretive about the release date of the 7610? Why are there no real demos? What are they trying to hide, shows all the signs of a con-job. Seriously, what if there is a serious bug or reviews come out and shows the Flex at half the price does circles around the 7610? What will be the value of the rig then? And will Icom offer a money back no questions asked 30 guarantee like Flex? You don't offer that unless you know you have a winner.

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: November 18, 2017, 02:14:18 PM »

I was all set to buy the IC-7610 inspite of the fact it is an unestablished, un-reviewed and relatively unknown product. But when they reveled the price of $3900 I thought back at how much I paid for my 7600. $3400 - $200 rebate I think it was, and now it can be purchased new for under 2 grand and you get a Heil Microphone.  With that in mind I thought, why were they so secretive about the release date of the 7610? Why are there no real demos? What are they trying to hide, shows all the signs of a con-job. Seriously, what if there is a serious bug or reviews come out and shows the Flex at half the price does circles around the 7610? What will be the value of the rig then? And will Icom offer a money back no questions asked 30 guarantee like Flex? You don't offer that unless you know you have a winner.

Con Job?Huh? I didn't realize that Eham had a joke section.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: November 18, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »

I heard they had a hard time integrating 1 grain of President Kennedy's ashes into each FPGA, so they had to resort to Princess Diana's instead.

HiHis aside, they were likely just moving as many 7300s as possible first...

Aside from a few user interface 'bugs' (they're small enough to perhaps just not be my first preference for how something should be done), I haven't encountered a single issue with the radio.

Pages: Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: