The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Icom 7610 in trouble?  (Read 41300 times)
NI8R

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: November 18, 2017, 03:14:43 PM »

I was all set to buy the IC-7610 inspite of the fact it is an unestablished, un-reviewed and relatively unknown product. But when they reveled the price of $3900 I thought back at how much I paid for my 7600. $3400 - $200 rebate I think it was, and now it can be purchased new for under 2 grand and you get a Heil Microphone.  With that in mind I thought, why were they so secretive about the release date of the 7610? Why are there no real demos? What are they trying to hide, shows all the signs of a con-job. Seriously, what if there is a serious bug or reviews come out and shows the Flex at half the price does circles around the 7610? What will be the value of the rig then? And will Icom offer a money back no questions asked 30 guarantee like Flex? You don't offer that unless you know you have a winner.

I had a dealer tell me hams turn knobs at their brick and mortar locations only to buy with no sales tax on line from another state.
Hams in their frugality have dried up the demonstration spots.

Greg
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: November 18, 2017, 04:01:29 PM »

I checked out the 7300 at HRO in Delaware, they let me play with the radios all I wanted.
In store discount and no sales tax...
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: November 18, 2017, 04:36:55 PM »

I had a dealer tell me hams turn knobs at their brick and mortar locations only to buy with no sales tax on line from another state.

Greg

This is the last of the Mom and Pop ham shops.

Hams are to blame for the loss of local ham shops. I remember when I lived in the Chicago area. We had a nice local ham store in one of the suburbs. This local ham store had demo radios setup to antennas in their store and hams could play with the radios.

Hams would drink the free coffee and demo the radios and go home and then order the radio from AES in Milwaukee. Why? To not pay IL sales tax.  That nice local ham store went belly up......

Stan K9IUQ
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: November 18, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »

I was all set to buy the IC-7610 inspite of the fact it is an unestablished, un-reviewed and relatively unknown product. But when they reveled the price of $3900 I thought back at how much I paid for my 7600. $3400 - $200 rebate I think it was, and now it can be purchased new for under 2 grand and you get a Heil Microphone.  With that in mind I thought, why were they so secretive about the release date of the 7610? Why are there no real demos? What are they trying to hide, shows all the signs of a con-job. Seriously, what if there is a serious bug or reviews come out and shows the Flex at half the price does circles around the 7610? What will be the value of the rig then? And will Icom offer a money back no questions asked 30 guarantee like Flex? You don't offer that unless you know you have a winner.

It's the great Icom conspiracy Grin. Really, I think you're waaay over-thinking this.

Con-job??? It's very simple....Icom developed a new radio, took longer than expected for its' release (who cares), and is charging $3,900 for it. Just like any other commodity. It has competition from other manufacturers, like any other commodity. Why would they offer a money-back guarantee? If you like it, buy it. If not, don't buy it. They're not holding a gun to your head.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: November 20, 2017, 12:56:18 PM »

Greg

Ham dealers I have noticed operate like no other business, except maybe the mega stores like DX Engineering and HRO.

That said, the local one here (KJI) has/had radios operating in the store with antennas that he even let customers try out and make contacts on.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: November 20, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »

The retail industry in brick and mortar stores seems to be dying fairly rapidly in most consumer sectors, as we have so clearly observed in the past couple of years.  Online shopping on the other hand, has exploded in popularity and is a way for retailers to provide lower costs to the end consumer because a warehouse in an industrial park is a lot cheaper to operate that a storefront operation in a commercial shopping zone.  On top of that, the retailer doesn't have to provide demo units which later have to be sold at lower markup because they are used.  So online retail, with its low prices and great convenience, is taking over.  Never mind that we can't try something out in a store any longer, we asked for low prices so this is the result.

I expect buying ham radios to become no different than buying books, phones, clothes or even food online.  You can buy all 5 of those categories at Amazon already, and the local retailers have a hard time staying afloat.

In addition to all this, what was once a strong American industrial sector making electronic components and equipment, transitioned into a Japanese-dominated industry by the 1980s, and now it's becoming a Chinese one.  Witness the IC-7610...  introduced first in Asia and Australia while Europeans and Americans wait.  The next generation of radios will probably be introduced in China first while the rest of the world waits.  Big shifts in the world economy are afoot, and the American consumer has become less and less influential in the direction of those changes, and the feature content of products, with every passing day.

73, Ed VE3WGO
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: November 20, 2017, 03:52:56 PM »

The practice of visiting a brick and mortar store to see, touch, smell, try on, or operate a product, then turn around and buy it online for a cheaper/no sales tax price has a name for it..."Showrooming".  Even if the price is the same (mandated by the manufacturer), would you buy local if you could save upwards of $400 sales tax on a $4,000 item? There are laws now for (larger) out-of-State online retailers to still charge a buyers' State sales tax. But they're not required to charge local city/county sales tax, which could still amount to a nice bit of change. Large, previously thriving regional shopping malls are in trouble from exiting tenants, especially anchor stores, and could become out-of-business shells in a relatively short amount of time.   
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: November 20, 2017, 04:21:48 PM »

Ask Best Buy about this shopping 'strategy'. It's widespread, not just hamradio stores.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: November 20, 2017, 05:55:26 PM »

The practice of visiting a brick and mortar store to see, touch, smell, try on, or operate a product, then turn around and buy it online for a cheaper/no sales tax price has a name for it..."Showrooming".  Even if the price is the same (mandated by the manufacturer), would you buy local if you could save upwards of $400 sales tax on a $4,000 item?

Yes, I would. I support local stores even when they're more expensive. A want the local stores to stay in business so that I will have a place to go check out gear in the future.

The exception to this seems to be the home-grown ham manufacturers like Flex, Elecraft, and TenTec. You have to buy their products direct from the factory, typically sight unseen. You either need to know someone with a Flex, K3, or similar rig, or go to a big hamfest to see these rigs in person before you buy.
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: November 20, 2017, 11:08:17 PM »

The practice of visiting a brick and mortar store to see, touch, smell, try on, or operate a product, then turn around and buy it online for a cheaper/no sales tax price has a name for it..."Showrooming".  Even if the price is the same (mandated by the manufacturer), would you buy local if you could save upwards of $400 sales tax on a $4,000 item?

Yes, I would. I support local stores even when they're more expensive. A want the local stores to stay in business so that I will have a place to go check out gear in the future.

The exception to this seems to be the home-grown ham manufacturers like Flex, Elecraft, and TenTec. You have to buy their products direct from the factory, typically sight unseen. You either need to know someone with a Flex, K3, or similar rig, or go to a big hamfest to see these rigs in person before you buy.

Those companies who lack a showroom should really consider renting a rig for 30 days so people could try it out.
But to be fair, I thought I might recall that Flex offers a 30 day satisfaction guarantee?  Ah, here it is on the website;
FLEX Signature Series transceivers may be conditionally returned for full credit only within 30-days from shipment if they are returned in new condition with all cables, software, documentation and in the original packing materials along with a copy of the sales receipt.

So I guess you have a little safety, but yes, it is still better to spend a Saturday at someones place that bought one and use it before purchase.

Cheers
Pages: Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: