The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10M contacts well over 1000 miles?  (Read 2446 times)
KD0ZGW

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2017, 06:08:29 AM »

Relative rookie.  Central MN QTH.  Favorite Ops are DX SSB.

Got on the radio last nite after checking Voacap for 10M propagation which looked to be a closed band.

Thought I'd listen in on 10M anyway and maybe hear some local guys working the 10-10 contest.

100 watts SSB into a G5RV inverted V with apex at 70'

1st guys I heard was a "local" net in WV.  5-9 copy.  Then a couple hams in Texas and others from the south.  Also good copy.

Wondering what was going on as from reading I wasn't expecting anything like the contacts I was getting.

Thx in advance to anyone offerring info.

73's
KD0ZGW
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 11:46:13 AM »

Relative rookie.  Central MN QTH.  Favorite Ops are DX SSB.

Got on the radio last nite after checking Voacap for 10M propagation which looked to be a closed band.

Thought I'd listen in on 10M anyway and maybe hear some local guys working the 10-10 contest.

100 watts SSB into a G5RV inverted V with apex at 70'

1st guys I heard was a "local" net in WV.  5-9 copy.  Then a couple hams in Texas and others from the south.  Also good copy.

Wondering what was going on as from reading I wasn't expecting anything like the contacts I was getting.

Thx in advance to anyone offerring info.

73's
KD0ZGW

VOACAP cannot forecast sporadic E propagation, which is most likely what was responsible for the 10m opening you experienced.

Sporadic E or Es is an unusual form of radio propagation using characteristics of the Earth's ionosphere. Whereas most forms of skywave propagation use the normal and cyclic ionization properties of the ionosphere's F region to refract (or "bend") radio signals back toward the Earth's surface, sporadic E propagation bounces signals off smaller "clouds" of unusually ionized atmospheric gas in the lower E region (located at altitudes of approx. 90 to 160 km). This occasionally allows for long-distance communication at VHF frequencies not usually well-suited to such communication.

Communication distances of 800–2200 km can occur using a single Es cloud. This variability in distance depends on a number of factors, including cloud height and density. MUF also varies widely, but most commonly falls in the 25 – 150 MHz range, which includes the FM broadcast band (87.5–108 MHz), Band I VHF television (American channels 2-6, Russian channels 1-3, and European channels 2-4, the latter no longer used in Western Europe), CB radio (27 MHz) and the amateur radio 2-meter, 6-meter, 10-meter, and 12-meter bands. Strong events have allowed propagation at frequencies as high as 250 MHz.

As its name suggests, sporadic E is an abnormal event, not the usual condition, but can happen at almost any time; it does, however, display seasonal patterns. Sporadic E activity peaks predictably in the summertime in both hemispheres. In North America, the peak is most noticeable in mid-to-late June, trailing off through July and into August. A much smaller peak is seen around the winter solstice. Activity usually begins in mid-December in the southern hemisphere, with the days immediately after Christmas being the most active period.

RF propagation in the spectrum available to hams is an extremely interesting topic, with several aspects still not completely understood.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 01:22:23 PM »

When 10 meters was open, I remember reaching NY from San Diego with a 25 watt HTX-100 and a CB mag mount sitting on an air conditioner INDOORS!!
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »

I worked some FT8 mode on 10 meters yesterday. I made several contacts both on the east and west coasts, well over that 1000 miles.  All Sporadic E propagation. Sometimes you get E's mixed with TEP to work into south america. A month or so ago that was a nearly every day occurrence.  10 meters is open now for E's.
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »

Probably at about the time you were on 10M, I was on six meters working the Midwest and as far as the east coast using FT8. Any time there is a big sporadic E opening on six meters, you can safely assume you can make long distance contacts on ten meters. Of course, if there's a good opening on six meters, most people will go there rather than ten.

Dave, N6ORB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: