The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Consider it SOLD" (famous last words, and other useless phrases)  (Read 7030 times)
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 11:08:31 PM »

Learned my lesson with a couple of individuals on QTH, like N9RG who made up excuses to not pay saying the photos I sent showed equipment damage, etc.  What a joke.  Just man up.  You changed your mind, tell the truth.  A well deserving op ended up getting the pristine radio after I had turned around a couple of other buyers becuase "consider it sold" but not holding anything for anyone any longer.  You get the funds here, or you lose.  Period. Its actually pretty simple when buying, if you don't have the funds up front, don't offer anything, if you are not sure, spend time thinking it over and if you change your mind, don't make up bogus lies about it, just step aside but don't send messages "consider it sold".  You run into this all over the swap boards.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 05:58:49 AM »

Here is an interesting story...  I got my HF-AUTO, as a result of asking if somethings was still available, a week after two, different ops had posted sold on the listing.  I sent the owner a note, a week after the postings, because I did not see a sold note by the owner, and low and behold, he said no one had sent in money.  He took PayPal, so I sent him the bucks and got the tuner.  The "I'll take it" posts where a buyer backs out must be a lot more prevalent than I thought.  I never expected to get the tuner.  Lucky me!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 06:05:59 AM »

So very true.  Sad part is, as a seller if you update a posting with "pending receipt of funds" and the deadbeat never sends anything, potential buyers see the posting and move on, and you are stuck holding the empty bag.  Not out of any money or asset, but it is really discouraging some folks can't be honest that when they say funds being sent and they send nothing, they go on my list to never do business with them again as a precaution.  Some individuals do that to prey upon good people's intentions and a seller sends something head of receiving the funds only to never receive payment, now out of product and funds.  No more.  If I don't get the funds you get nothing.  Sorry if someone beats another to the cash register, but money talks.
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 02:56:58 PM »

More to the point:

Tire Kicker (typical definition)
someone who appears to be interested in buying something and asks a lot of questions but does not buy anything: If you want to sell it on the internet, you'll have to deal with hundreds of tire kickers. (So true)

For me, I don't mind answering a few (few) questions, but not continuously.  A buyer should have some item what it is they are attempting to purchase and understand its function (you would think).  If you need a complete technical description of the item, its capabilities, accessories, options, etc., can you not do some of that yourself before you consider contacting a Seller?  Most ops do know and asked the pertinent questions (i.e. lowest price, payment instructions, where to send the item, perhaps an additional pic or two (if a website only provides for one), and that is all acceptable.

I think the best solution is like one poster stated. Whomever gets the payment to you the quickest, is the buyer.  If someone gets left out in the cold being too non proactive, then too bad, so sad.  I don't like to do that but perhaps that is the best approach.
LUCYAJONES

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 11:27:19 PM »

I have been left holding the proverbial empty sack a number of times due to some characters on the swap boards that contact you and then inform you "CONSIDER IT SOLD".  I could post some calls in here, but why bother.   Well, I don't know about you, but to me, that means, you just bought it and the funds will be forth coming.

I know I stand behind my word and reputation.  I have even bought stuff when I found another item nicer or cheaper than the one I told the seller I wanted, and went ahead with the transaction.  I may end up keeping that item or selling it later.  Sometimes a person responds to something for sale without fully considering it, knowing what they are buying, etc.  We all make mistakes or act too quickly.   

But for me, if you tell me "CONSIDER IT SOLD" as it does in the email I have, I kinda take that to mean, turn away any upcoming potential buyers (which I did) because someone "committed to it". 

I had this happen a couple of months ago to me, and there was no loss of funds, I am not hard up for money, there was no asset loss, but just a bunch of crap dealing with these types of individuals way too frequently.  Why do you waste peoples time?  If you want to flip equipment, get it off Ebay.  Most folks on swap boards just want to move a piece of gear out of the shack without all the drama.

What does an adult do when they purchase something for $100 or $1000 from another op and something unknown pops up?  You contact the Seller and as adults, you work it out within a reasonable amount of time after receipt.  People should read the postings.  If something is posted AS IS, No Refund, No Return, either accept it or move on.  Pretty simple.  Why do some folks feel the need for a 30 day back warranty?  Sellers on swap boards are not dealerships, and some folks that buy items have no clue how to properly use it, one reason for the AS IS caveat.  If I don't feel comfortable with that statement, I just move on to another item.  Very very simple. 

Be an adult and have some integrity.  If you don't know a lot about the item, ask questions up front, don't just tell the Seller, "I Want It".  Yeah, I want a lot of things in life too but I am a realist.

If you can't afford the asking price, don't email or contact the Seller.  You can't afford it or don't have momma's permission.

If you feel uncomfortable with the transaction, MOVE ON.  I turned a chap away that actually offered me a tad more then the guy that "CONSIDER IT SOLD", who in short order, back peddled two days later after I uncabled, gathered everything up ready for the transit or either the item or myself with the item, lost use of it in the mean time and ended up hooking it all back up, and pulling the post and he told me he never made a commitment to me.  Really?  Certainly not what the email stated.  Whatever, won't be doing business either way with this guy in the future and certainly not too worried about it.  Sometimes it is a matter of maturity.

Figure out what you want, check your funds, be an adult with decision making or just move along. Simple as that.

Precisely, and coming up with counterfeit reasons out of nowhere, isn't the best approach to man up
Thanks
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 03:53:10 AM »

Exactly.  One should do their homework first, find out what they really want, expect and hope to achieve, check funding and ask pertinent questions long before telling someone "it is sold" or "I want it", etc.  Doesn't work well in the business world and certainly not here on swap forums either.  Try doing that on Ebay.... LOL
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: