The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hara Arena to the Highest Bidder.....  (Read 18940 times)
W6EM

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:33:10 PM »

So, the IRS will soon put the Hara Arena up for auction.  Minimum bid is only $850K.  Now's DARA's or ARRL's chance to buy and fix up the venue.  They can call it their own.

As flush with cash as they are, should be no problem.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 09:55:24 AM »

So, the IRS will soon put the Hara Arena up for auction.  Minimum bid is only $850K.  Now's DARA's or ARRL's chance to buy and fix up the venue.  They can call it their own.

Hara has been neglected for many years long before it even closed as owners milked out every penny they could. Better to wreck most of it and start over than try to fix it. Part of reason it died was because it stopped drawing vendors for other events because of its condition and that will not change without major investment that its location will never pay back. It is destined for wrecking ball.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:36:25 PM »

Why would either of them want to?   Because it was a hamfest site?    Neither the ARRL nor dara are in the business of owning a venue to be used by them for 4 days a year.    The location of the venue leaves a lot to be desired anyway. 

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:18:50 PM »

Think outside the box....

Perhaps demolish most of it, but ARRL could move its publishing apparatus there.  DARA could lease out space to vendors like R&L, with incentives to move there from Hamilton.  Might be some tax issues, though.

The Summertime ARRL educator workshops and more could be held there.   All sorts of possibilities.  Maker forums, etc.  Got to be less expensive than Connecticut.

The location itself is much, much better than the Xenia fairgrounds.  Sure, the buildings are in sorry shape, but demo what isn't decent and build some conservative Butler steel structures to replace them.

Most importantly, no cow manure, flea market mud-a-thons or traffic nightmares.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 06:01:13 PM »

Perhaps demolish most of it, but ARRL could move its publishing apparatus there.  DARA could lease out space to vendors like R&L, with incentives to move there from Hamilton.  Might be some tax issues, though.

The Summertime ARRL educator workshops and more could be held there.   All sorts of possibilities.  Maker forums, etc.  Got to be less expensive than Connecticut.

The location itself is much, much better than the Xenia fairgrounds.  Sure, the buildings are in sorry shape, but demo what isn't decent and build some conservative Butler steel structures to replace them.

But consider this they could not stay afloat when not fixing things or paying taxes. It would take a sizable investment to upgrade/fix site and they would never see enough return on investment to be profitable. Times have changed and location is bad to attract other venues.

Yes it is a much better than cattlefest in Xenia barn yard setup for sure but they would never be profitable the rest of the year.

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 10:46:26 AM »

The 90's called.   Oh, and I hate that saying.  Too many arsehole MBA's used that saying, especially the one I used to work for.   

$850,000 and it's in move in condition.  Got ya.   

So you want the ARRL to relocate, lock, stock and barrel, to central Ohio?   How much money do you think that would cost?   Why don't you make a few million dollar donation to the ARRL or dara?   They might name the building after you. 

Sure, if you like being near high crime area.   

There is NOTHING "decent" at or on the site.   The entire building needs to be demolished, and all the piping from Shiloh Springs Road to the designated bathrooms likely needs to be replaced.  Since the sewer geyser back in 2011, I would not trust anything. 

There was no cow manure at the Xenia site.   The traffic issues were cleared up after the first day.   

___

Since you have such great ideas, why don't you go to your bank, and get a business loan, and go to the auction and buy the place?

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »

There was no cow manure at the Xenia site.   The traffic issues were cleared up after the first day.  

There has been in past (before show) and there is again now. As far as traffic it cleared up when everyone got stuck in mud at flea market. Man are you naive.....

W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »

Sure, if you like being near high crime area.
I've been to Xenia.  It's nothing to write home about.  And, as JX reminds us, the traffic problem IS a nightmare, since far from decent freeway access.   
There was no cow manure at the Xenia site.   The traffic issues were cleared up after the first day.

The rain mixed the manure with the mud.  Nice try.   
___

Since you have such great ideas, why don't you go to your bank, and get a business loan, and go to the auction and buy the place?

I'll let people like Sandy Mendolsohn figure all of that out......if he wants more Dayton turf.  Someone will buy it and pay their taxes as they should instead of milking it dry.  After a few "Xenia blossoms," DARA will be back to HARA if someone else buys it and fixes the toilets........

[/quote]
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 03:11:56 PM »

That $850k price is just the tax lien on Hara.  Those tax arrears are for how many years, we do not know, but at least 3 years, as I understand the usual rules (I may be wrong on that).  So for example, $850,000/3 = $283,333 taxes per year.  That will need to be paid some time later in addition to the immediate purchase price, whatever that will be (bidding starts at $850k, so it can go up from there). 

Then add property and liability insurance since it is 25 acres and 6 buildings. So somebody needs well over $1M handy just to start.  No ham radio business is that rich, is it?

https://www.treasury.gov/auctions/irs/daoh_comm_8833.htm
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »

Hi,

Some people just love to spend other peoples money, no matter how dumb a purchase it would be.

&3,

John

W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 08:17:54 AM »

That $850k price is just the tax lien on Hara.  Those tax arrears are for how many years, we do not know, but at least 3 years, as I understand the usual rules (I may be wrong on that).  So for example, $850,000/3 = $283,333 taxes per year.  That will need to be paid some time later in addition to the immediate purchase price, whatever that will be (bidding starts at $850k, so it can go up from there). 

Then add property and liability insurance since it is 25 acres and 6 buildings. So somebody needs well over $1M handy just to start.  No ham radio business is that rich, is it?

https://www.treasury.gov/auctions/irs/daoh_comm_8833.htm
Not the way IRS tax liens taken to seizure work.  The IRS seizes assets for income taxes owed it that have not been paid.  In other words, the Wamplers owed the IRS the minimum bid amount it is asking for at auction.  It has nothing to do with state or local property taxes.

And, when the IRS auction gavel slams down, all other liens are quashed.  Meaning, the property is awarded free and clear of any and all other loans, mortgages, etc.  Seizure is a lot different than a lien, which likely preceded it.

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »

There has been in past (before show) and there is again now. As far as traffic it cleared up when everyone got stuck in mud at flea market. Man are you naive.....

Were you there that weekend?   If not, it's just your opinion.   

And you are a bull-headed arse.   Almost thirty thousand people enjoyed the show, despite your dire warnings.   That says alot....about you. 

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 09:05:52 AM »

I've been to Xenia.  It's nothing to write home about.  And, as JX reminds us, the traffic problem IS a nightmare, since far from decent freeway access.   

I never said it was.  I implied that it was better than Trotwood and the area where hara currently is, along with the Salem Mall. 

I've talked to many people who came in from different directions.  They all said that the traffic issues were non-existent on Saturday, and that the shuttle service was top-notch both days.  Try again. 

The rain mixed the manure with the mud.  Nice try.   

Who cares about the flea market?   If that many people do, then that will be fixed as well.   Nice try. 

___

I'll let people like Sandy Mendolsohn figure all of that out......if he wants more Dayton turf.  Someone will buy it and pay their taxes as they should instead of milking it dry.  After a few "Xenia blossoms," DARA will be back to HARA if someone else buys it and fixes the toilets........

You're the one who started the thread and came up with your so called great idea.   Put your money where your mouth is.   

IF someone buys the site, it will be demolished and turned into something else.   

Doubtful.   

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 05:18:58 AM »

I never said it was.  I implied that it was better than Trotwood and the area where hara currently is, along with the Salem Mall.  

Hara with its problems and location and far better than Xenia barn yard. You need a reality check...

I've talked to many people who came in from different directions.  They all said that the traffic issues were non-existent on Saturday, and that the shuttle service was top-notch both days.  Try again.

Funny people I talked to and the local news painted a completely different story then your snow job...

Who cares about the flea market?   If that many people do, then that will be fixed as well.   Nice try.  

Right you would rather pay top dollar to tour controverted stock barn being used for vendors (which BTW have had live stock in them since show) and used porta potis.  Flea market makes show and they did very poor planning for it as DARA did it is cheaply as possible. So much for about 50 years experience and how to PROPERLY do things.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:39:18 AM by W8JX » Logged

ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 06:38:15 AM »

Yadda, Yadda, Yadda,             

on and on like a broken record
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: