The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5W to Nowhere?  (Read 15187 times)
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2017, 09:20:22 AM »

And the primary reason that low power CW works better than low power SSB is that the CW signal requires much less bandwidth which allows the sensitivity of the receiver to effectively be two S-units or so greater for CW.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2017, 05:16:24 PM »

I recently bought a BitX 40c - this is a prepopulated board kit for a 7-25 watt SSB single band transceiver.  My price - $45.  With the $20 enclosure totals $65.  The receiver is amazingly clear and quiet.  The transmitter is clear and clean.  Amazing.  Anyway, BitX owners have a discussion group and a net.

The net meets every Sunday night at 7:00 PM local time.  And continues across America at 7:00 PM local time in each time zone.  The frequency is 7277 KHz. 

If you would like to join us you are very welcome.  YOu don't need to have a BitX to join the net, or even be operating QRP.  Happy to have you.
My last contacts on this QRP net were 500-700 miles (BitX to BitX) so it proves that even 7 watts can get out. 
73 and hope to hear you on the BitX net.
Joe W3TTT
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2017, 06:35:07 AM »

I really liked the KX2, and made ssb and AM contacts with it no problem (at 10 watts).
I used a full size antenna on 80 and 40 meters though.
Antenna is way more important then power output.

Using voice at low power is a bit tougher as many people do not want to bother working a signal just above the noise level.
They just won't respond to a CQ many times.

Works better if you call someone or respond to a CQ.

I had fun working kc4cms:

https://youtu.be/5kWBc0pvmIs

KF5KCA

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2017, 08:31:59 AM »

I really liked the KX2, and made ssb and AM contacts with it no problem (at 10 watts).
I used a full size antenna on 80 and 40 meters though.
Antenna is way more important then power output.

Using voice at low power is a bit tougher as many people do not want to bother working a signal just above the noise level.
They just won't respond to a CQ many times.

Works better if you call someone or respond to a CQ.

I had fun working kc4cms:

https://youtu.be/5kWBc0pvmIs

Brett,

Thank you for the feedback. Sounds like you had fun!

Oliver
KF5KCA

N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2017, 08:45:45 AM »

Someday I would like to do SOTA or some such with a KX2.
Seems like good healthy fun!
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »

I ordered one of these today to go with my 891 on outings.  It looked cute and matches the blue tint of the LED display on the rig.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lightweight-Micro-Blue-Morse-Code-Telegraph-Key-MADE-IN-USA-/162646182221?

KF5KCA

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »

I ordered one of these today to go with my 891 on outings.  It looked cute and matches the blue tint of the LED display on the rig.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lightweight-Micro-Blue-Morse-Code-Telegraph-Key-MADE-IN-USA-/162646182221?

[...]

James,

Already buying accessories for your rig? That looks like it comes straight out of a 3D printer!  Smiley

Oliver
KF5KCA
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2017, 11:42:11 AM »

And the primary reason that low power CW works better than low power SSB is that the CW signal requires much less bandwidth which allows the sensitivity of the receiver to effectively be two S-units or so greater for CW.

- Glenn W9IQ

I was just about to say that Glenn, the low pass filter guy.

Maybe this thread should have been called '5W to Everywhere with an FT-891'.

Kraus

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2017, 12:40:13 PM »

[...]

James,

Already buying accessories for your rig? That looks like it comes straight out of a 3D printer!  Smiley

Oliver
KF5KCA

Without a doubt it did, but it has real bearings in it.  I kinda wanted to try one anyway, and it supports a ham owned small USA business. 
I will let you know what I think of it later..
KF5KCA

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »

[...] and it supports a ham owned small USA business. 

Didn't see that. Awesome!

Oliver
KF5KCA
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »

[...] and it supports a ham owned small USA business. 

Didn't see that. Awesome!

Oliver
KF5KCA

http://www.ebay.com/usr/cnctechnician?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2017, 05:34:51 PM »

This could be the start of a beautiful relationship.
[...]
Sorry Oliver but the 891 stole the show.

Kraus

Kraus  Cheesy,

My QRP question in this thread was triggered by another thread about the KX2 vs FT-891. I was/am torn between the two rigs and did not want to commit to true QRP (5W or less) if I hear too many horror stories from frustrated QRP'ers. I was thinking (and still am) of rather getting the FT-891 and running at 25W to extend operational time (vs running at 100W) and reach (over 5W).

While certainly heavier than the KX2 and not a pocket size radio, there is an argument to be made for a resonant wire dipole (inverted V) or end-fed wire antenna on a fiberglass mast (or tree) with the FT-891 and no tuner. That would be $579 for the transceiver, $70 for a mast, $50 for antenna parts (coax and wire/winders) and $100 for a 9Ah LiFePO4 battery and charger. That is $799 for a pretty compelling package that is portable.

Oliver
KF5KCA

Well, they are $579 with free shipping, now so you made $20 by waiting an extra day... at Gigaparts

https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-891-hf-6m-transceiver.html

James,

That is just wrong......... I mean, they could have at least waited for a month and not offered a $100 rebate the day after customers purchase the radio with a $50 rebate. Bad business from Yaesu..... Price is pretty insane through....

Best,

Oliver
KF5KCA

Yeah, they upped the price $30, then offer a $100 rebate, so the delta is $20. I asked that Norton price shopper thing they sent along with the rig for my $20 back.. Lets see if I get it.   The rig is worth what they are asking for it.  I see a lot of older sadder rigs go here on the classified for near the same money..

The Norton price guarantee thingy said my $20 is on the way to my paypal account.

Your 3-in-1 Guarantee claim has been approved in the amount of $20.00.
You’ll receive your refund via the requested PayPal email address within 7 business days.. Depending on the type of PayPal account you have, they may charge you a processing fee when accepting payments.
KF5KCA

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2017, 10:29:23 AM »

The Norton price guarantee thingy said my $20 is on the way to my paypal account.

You’ll receive your refund via the requested PayPal email address within 7 business days.. Depending on the type of PayPal account you have, they may charge you a processing fee when accepting payments.

James,

Great news. I guess someone just got a blue Morse key for free  Grin

Oliver
KF5KCA
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2017, 11:04:24 AM »

James,

Great news. I guess someone just got a blue Morse key for free  Grin

Oliver
KF5KCA

Well, certainly at a great price... Smiley
KA0USE

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2017, 06:14:59 PM »

part of amateur's appeal to me is the mystery of whether a contact will be made. i count being out in nature more important.
radio is the excuse for being out there.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: