The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5W to Nowhere?  (Read 14148 times)
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »

part of amateur's appeal to me is the mystery of whether a contact will be made. i count being out in nature more important.
radio is the excuse for being out there.

Exactly. I don't care if all I get is Ohio on 40 meters; a good view and a morning spent in nature is hard to beat. Certainly more interesting for me than being plastered in a chair for most of the weekend trying to work some random coral reef along with fifteen thousand others yelling at the same time.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2017, 12:24:09 PM »

part of amateur's appeal to me is the mystery of whether a contact will be made. i count being out in nature more important.
radio is the excuse for being out there.

Exactly. I don't care if all I get is Ohio on 40 meters; a good view and a morning spent in nature is hard to beat. Certainly more interesting for me than being plastered in a chair for most of the weekend trying to work some random coral reef along with fifteen thousand others yelling at the same time.

Yep!  Any contact is a good contact, even if the other station is only 20 miles away!  Hams back in the early days got a thrill, even when the other guy was just a few blocks away.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »

Most of my QRP phone contacts were made during contests to take advantage of the big antenna arrays often used by the winning stations.
If you are lucky the 2nd day of the contest will coincide with excellent band conditions.

Zack W1VT
KM4DYX

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2017, 04:47:27 PM »

QRP quote of the year.

Al
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2017, 03:04:53 PM »

While I have a good location plus good antennas it takes dedication and not just running off to some unknown spot and expecting perfect conditions every time.

Much of my 9 Band QRP DXCC was done on SSB 17-10M

Concerning CW Im up to 16 countries on 160 CW with 100 milliwatts.

Next is to see what I can do on FT8 with fleapower.

Carl
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2017, 04:27:46 PM »

Carl, that's quite an accomplishment on 160 meters.  What is your antenna?  What are the DX?
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2017, 04:54:28 PM »

I started with a 90'shunt fed tower with yagi top loading and on ground radials over glacial sand (yuk) in the lowest part of town and surrounded by hills. Im now on top of the tallest hill with 5A to play on using a pair of full 1/4 wave verticals with 20 elevated radials sloping off the 160' level of the tower.
An inverted V from the 180' level could be selected or both driven. Lots of Beverages for RX.

Granted it is not an average setup! With a KW or so many have reached the 300 DXCC level on 160 with very modest setups and locations. NH is often in the auroral black hole so I go upstairs and read a book (or chase the Ex or current GF) and is far from being an ideal location for a serious 160 DXer. I wouldnt live anywhere else for many other non radio reasons.

With the 100 mw Ive worked SP, DL, G, GI, PA, F, VE, CY9, CY0, 4U1, and a bunch of Caribbean and Central America where Ive missed many more by not being at the radio.
VK3YE

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2017, 01:05:54 AM »

Consider a kite-supported wire antenna.  This will give you big-tower performance at low cost.

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/projects/projkite.htm

Peter VK3YE

TOP-SELLING RADIO BOOKS: 'Minimum QRP', 'Hand-carried QRP antennas' & 'Getting back into Amateur Radio'. 
Paperback and ebook editions. See http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/vk3yebooks.htm or search titles in Amazon.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2017, 06:53:03 AM »

Consider a kite-supported wire antenna.  This will give you big-tower performance at low cost.

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/projects/projkite.htm

One year for Field Day, we had a balloon-supported vertical for 160.

Nobody's on Top Band for Field Day.  Tongue
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: