The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox Changes  (Read 13313 times)
DL8OV

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »

Those of you who use the Firefox browser need to know that changes are coming. In November Mozilla will introduce a new version of the browser and most if not all of your browser extensions will no longer work. These extensions include Adblock Plus and Classic Theme Restorer.

There is hope though. This afternoon I ported all my Bookmarks over to 'Pale Moon' which is a browser forked from an earlier version of Firefox. It's a slightly simpler interface BUT the browser runs like lightning!! I've never seen a browser run so fast.

So, if you are worried about the Firefox / Mozilla changes then give Pale Moon a try. Versions are available for Linux, MS Windows and Apple Mac.

http://www.palemoon.org/

Peter DL8OV
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 02:19:09 PM »

Those of you who use the Firefox browser need to know that changes are coming. In November Mozilla will introduce a new version of the browser and most if not all of your browser extensions will no longer work. These extensions iinclude Adblock Plus and Classic Theme Restorer.

If you use FireFox Beta (called Nightly) you would of known this about three months ago as the Beta had dropped support for them back then. The Beta version is typically 4 to 6 month ahead of desktop version is release version number... 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 02:29:16 PM »

Obviously not everyone uses Firefox Beta, so thank you Peter...
KI7LGC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »

Anyone wanting to keep the current Firefox can use their Extended Support Release.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Mozilla patches the ESR with security patches and fixes, but does not change any features. It's designed for businesses who need a stable web browser environment, but is available to everyone.
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:39:13 PM »

Why would you assume the common, everyday computer user would be using a beta version of anything?Huh?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »

Anyone wanting to keep the current Firefox can use their Extended Support Release.

Mozilla patches the ESR with security patches and fixes, but does not change any features. It's designed for businesses who need a stable web browser environment, but is available to everyone.

Actually it is meant for use on older operation systems like XP, Vista and 7 which is what some business may still use.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 05:23:02 PM »

Those of you who use the Firefox browser need to know that changes are coming. In November Mozilla will introduce a new version of the browser and most if not all of your browser extensions will no longer work. These extensions include Adblock Plus and Classic Theme Restorer.

There is hope though. This afternoon I ported all my Bookmarks over to 'Pale Moon' which is a browser forked from an earlier version of Firefox. It's a slightly simpler interface BUT the browser runs like lightning!! I've never seen a browser run so fast.

So, if you are worried about the Firefox / Mozilla changes then give Pale Moon a try. Versions are available for Linux, MS Windows and Apple Mac.

http://www.palemoon.org/

Peter DL8OV

I installed the nightly beta a couple of weeks ago, and 'learned' about these changes.

I'll give Pale Moon a try.
KLONDIKEMIKE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »

... browser extensions will no longer work.
I got off the upgrade treadmill many years ago because I use extensions that I want to continue to be functional. I have never heard of the Pale Moon browser and will look into it. Thanks for sharing.

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 06:34:15 PM »

I'll give Pale Moon a try.

Installed Pale Moon. Good first impression.

While on the subject of browsers, I tried Opera again, after many years. This is the fastest browser I've seen to date. Give it a try.
KLONDIKEMIKE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »

Wow! noscript, ublock and more. This looks like a keeper!
KLONDIKEMIKE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 07:00:33 PM »

... I tried Opera again, after many years. This is the fastest browser I've seen to date. Give it a try.
Meh. Good browser that lacks the extension library that is available to this Pale Moon.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 07:20:28 PM »

... I tried Opera again, after many years. This is the fastest browser I've seen to date. Give it a try.
Meh. Good browser that lacks the extension library that is available to this Pale Moon.

The extension library is there. Lots of stuff that I tried/used under Firefox. AdBlock is built-in.
KLONDIKEMIKE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »

... The extension library is there. Lots of stuff that I tried/used under Firefox. AdBlock is built-in.
Nada. You obviously have not used uBlock or noscript.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 05:02:53 AM »

... The extension library is there. Lots of stuff that I tried/used under Firefox. AdBlock is built-in.
Nada. You obviously have not used uBlock or noscript.

I do use uBlock, and I did use noscript, and they are both there.

Never mind... use whatever does the job for you. Sorry for causing so much confusion.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:18:21 AM by VA3VF » Logged
KI7LGC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »

Actually it is meant for use on older operation systems like XP, Vista and 7 which is what some business may still use.

That is one use for it. I use it at work all the time for people who have websites that weren't designed for the newer browsers. It runs fine on the newer operating systems. Either way, it will still work as I have suggested.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: