The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7300 to decode CW?  (Read 7998 times)
KENNETH

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2017, 01:29:53 PM »

Anyone know of a person who went into the 7300 firmware to enable/Hack it to decode CW? RTTY sure does work good. Thanks in advance.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:08:31 PM »

A radio to decode Morse? Naww!!! That takes the fun out of it. Get rid of that radio.

Kraus
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 07:13:04 PM »

Anyone know of a person who went into the 7300 firmware to enable/Hack it to decode CW? RTTY sure does work good. Thanks in advance.

Rtty is easy to decode.  It is machine sent.  One RTTY signal sounds pretty much like another RTTY signal for the most part.  Machine sent CW can be decoded by computer.  Human sent CW"?  well not so much.  depends on the human sending it. And some decoders are way better than others, but in general don't expect much from any computer decoding human sent CW.  I can't decode a lot of human sent CW even if it is in my speed range.  Some people should stick to phone or digital, either that or practice a bunch before enabling the break in function. I had 2 CW qso's yesterday.  Both were sent by straight key, one was a joy to copy, and the other was a major chore to copy due to me not always able to decide if I heard a dit or a dah.  How well do you think a machine will do?
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:16:59 AM »

If you are tuned to the ARRL cw messages sent at different times during the day or night  a cw decoding system does work very well but its machine sent. I have at times to brush up on my copy use the decode feature in the Yaesu FTDX3000 to copy the ARRL bulletin and use it as a check on what I have copied on paper not looking at the screen and that feature does work but it really depends on the fist or keyer hand of the sender on anything else on the band but it has to be tuned just right plus the speed control set proper along with decent strength and no qrm. RTTY is far easier for any of these rigs which have a decode feature, most times its dead nut on, CW not so much. 
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 08:58:38 AM »

Why would a person want to computer decode CW unless they couldn't hear?  Any of the digital modes are far more efficient for chatting or message handling. 
And on top of this, these folks set the speed at around 35.  I would much rather work an OP at 7-13 who is head copying.  Please stick to the RTTY as it is meant to be sent by machine or in 2017--by computer.
Art
WC4R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »

Trade the 7300 for the Kenwood TS-590SG. CW decode is standard and works well. Equal price & performance.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 05:30:53 AM »

Unless the fellow sending has a perfect fist and the signal is strong without qrm forgetaboutit your wasting your time.
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 05:51:41 AM »

Trade the 7300 for the Kenwood TS-590SG. CW decode is standard and works well. Equal price & performance.

I have been doing 98 percent CW for 35 years. I don't bash someone who wants to use a CW decoder. I can send cw where a decoder reads it 100 percent, I am not alone. It doesn't make you a man if you can copy CW at 50wpm in your head. Being patient with the newbie and helping them along makes a lot more sense. If all we do is bash the people who find CW difficult, then down the road we will talking to ourselves.

As far as these radios mentioned here, I own both. Instead of trading your 7300, buy CWGET, which works as well as the TS590SG decoder.

dit dah dit
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 05:52:16 AM »

Unless the fellow sending has a perfect fist and the signal is strong without qrm forgetaboutit your wasting your time.

WRONG
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 05:53:37 AM »

Why would a person want to computer decode CW unless they couldn't hear?  Any of the digital modes are far more efficient for chatting or message handling. 
And on top of this, these folks set the speed at around 35.  I would much rather work an OP at 7-13 who is head copying.  Please stick to the RTTY as it is meant to be sent by machine or in 2017--by computer.
Art

Why would anybody of sound mind use Morse Code in 2017 is the better question
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 06:12:52 AM »

Why?  Simply for the personal challenge and for fun.

These are the same reasons we still stretch ourselves and use ham radio to reach WAS or DXCC or VUCC, while our kids got DXCC and then some within a few days using their new multiplayer game in their game console.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 11:06:01 PM »

Art

Because it is fun and a challenge. Each to their own.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 01:41:24 AM »

Using grey matter to decode Morse is good mental exercise for one thing.
It is a challenge to learn and use with accuracy vs typing skill.
I couldn't stand to look at a computer screen during a QSO.
Email just is not fun to me, maybe it turns you on, that's ok.
I'll take my Morse real. 
VY 73.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: