The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I passed now what?  (Read 7510 times)
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 09:37:50 PM »

So I'm brand new and I got a Gordon West book or HamTestOnline and I managed to pass all the way to Extra..... 

Total BS.  No call sign means it never happened.  Wow.

Wow indeed. Next he'll be putting up a billboard.  Wink
W8WMM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 02:26:53 PM »

First off, I don't know if I qualify as a "new ham" or not. I had a Novice ticket 40 years ago while in college. I never renewed it. Career, family and home-owner obligations placed rather severe limitations on personal, solo pursuits.
I am now retired, my kids are grown and my very dear and special XYL is supportive and encouraging. So, I studied for a couple weeks and passed the Tech and General exams last month. My first purchase was a 2m HT, and I joined a local club. I had to drive up to a hilltop to hit a repeater and get my first QSO, but it was worth it. Today, I spent a bit over a grand on gear - a (new) 100w HF base xcvr, two antennas and the means to raise them. I couldn't be happier to be back in radio, nor more enthusiastic about building a station and getting on the air. I also downloaded a free CW tutorial and practice program and look forward to code QSOs in the very near future. I have no plans to buy a kw linear, put a yagi in the clouds nor interface radios and computers, but I'm already getting lots of fun out of the hobby and meeting some fine similarly-afflicted folks in the process.
My point is that it doesn't have to be about long-path DX, and selling a kidney isn't necessary to enjoy AR.

KC0EKQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 03:45:19 AM »

First off, I don't know if I qualify as a "new ham" or not. I had a Novice ticket 40 years ago while in college. I never renewed it. Career, family and home-owner obligations placed rather severe limitations on personal, solo pursuits.
I am now retired, my kids are grown and my very dear and special XYL is supportive and encouraging. So, I studied for a couple weeks and passed the Tech and General exams last month. My first purchase was a 2m HT, and I joined a local club. I had to drive up to a hilltop to hit a repeater and get my first QSO, but it was worth it. Today, I spent a bit over a grand on gear - a (new) 100w HF base xcvr, two antennas and the means to raise them. I couldn't be happier to be back in radio, nor more enthusiastic about building a station and getting on the air. I also downloaded a free CW tutorial and practice program and look forward to code QSOs in the very near future. I have no plans to buy a kw linear, put a yagi in the clouds nor interface radios and computers, but I'm already getting lots of fun out of the hobby and meeting some fine similarly-afflicted folks in the process.
My point is that it doesn't have to be about long-path DX, and selling a kidney isn't necessary to enjoy AR.

This is exactly right, all of it. Way to go! Just enjoy the things you enjoy and learn more about the things you want to know and don't get all wrapped up in someone else's nonsense. Best to you my friend.

Lee
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 08:09:30 AM »

Like Fantasy Football?
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: