The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 and 15 meter bands  (Read 25503 times)
KD7HNN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2017, 09:39:43 AM »

You can always find a QSO on EchoLink!  Sometimes local, sometimes on the other side of the globe.  www.EchoLink.org

not so sure about that one - - last time I'd check in:
there was lots of OPs Listening - supposedly - - but none of them ever would Reply to Any call(s).

Try the conference servers.  There is usually activity on some of them!

Or Skype. It's the same thing.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2017, 07:06:03 PM »

Got the last four countries I needed on 10M to work Digital DXCC on eight bands.  With wires strung between trees. In one week. Grin

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:09:46 PM by W1VT » Logged
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 09:33:57 PM »

You can listen for the 10 meter beacons between 28.200 and 28.300 if you want to know if the band is open.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »

nice job, Zack.

What modes and power on 10?  Were you pouncing or calling CQ?  What type of wire?  Any juicy DX?
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 03:52:50 PM »

I am a pre-programmed macro on the keyboard of a shy non conversationalist ham.  I like to get pushed regularly during a digital contact.  My biggest pre-typed feature is giving a 59 to every station we are in QSO with even if their signal stinks.  My master is working on automating our functions so that my key wont be pushed anymore.  I am afraid that I will end up in my master's junk box along with all the microphones, and other obsolete technologies in his shack.  As a matter of fact my master is setting up his computer/radio to operate completely automated so he doesn't even have to do anything.  He seems to get off reading the contact log when he returns to the shack running through the scores of other automated stations the computer has contacted.  My master spends all the time that he is not tending the station sitting on the couch in the living room watching reality TV and eating potato chips.

I realise that you are making a statement using sarcasm, but I understand your concern. As a non-ham, I find it curious that so many hams want to let the computer do 90-100% of the work. It sort of takes the human element out of it. It's still technically ham radio, but the ham is really not engaged in the process when they can walk away and the computer does the QSO's.
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »

I find it curious that so many hams want to let the computer do 90-100% of the work. It sort of takes the human element out of it. It's still technically ham radio, but the ham is really not engaged in the process when they can walk away and the computer does the QSO's.

Agreed.  Although I can do digital modes, I don't do much digital mode operating.  I have the most fun with my rig and CW Straight Key.  MEMBER SKCC.  But that is just me and 20,000 other members. 
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2017, 07:21:08 AM »

Why do so many amateurs constantly lament about the past?
Because it was so much better Tom. We always HOPE tomorrow will be better than today, but I doubt it!

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2017, 07:27:11 AM »

I am a pre-programmed macro on the keyboard of a shy non conversationalist ham.  I like to get pushed regularly during a digital contact.  My biggest pre-typed feature is giving a 59 to every station we are in QSO with even if their signal stinks.  My master is working on automating our functions so that my key wont be pushed anymore.  I am afraid that I will end up in my master's junk box along with all the microphones, and other obsolete technologies in his shack.  As a matter of fact my master is setting up his computer/radio to operate completely automated so he doesn't even have to do anything.  He seems to get off reading the contact log when he returns to the shack running through the scores of other automated stations the computer has contacted.  My master spends all the time that he is not tending the station sitting on the couch in the living room watching reality TV and eating potato chips.

Priceless! Let those who want to use FT8 majority or not, no one will tell you not to. Yes, it can operate in weaker SNR than even CW. But when conditions are normal, CW is faster, way more flexible, and approaches full duplex QSK, something none of the digital modes do. PSK31 at least is practical for real communication and I used to like Pactor. But CW overall, can never be beaten. Yep, old things from way back last longer than new things. FT8 will be dead when some other mode replaces it in years to come, but CW will still be here when the last person in this forum has passed away. Sobering but realistic thought. When I look around my house, I also see that the oldest things that still work and will work long after I'm gone, as Morse Keys made almost 100 years ago. Nothing else in the house will work nearly as long.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: