The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for someone who repairs dual band and vhf/uhf rigs  (Read 2580 times)
W3TEZ

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2017, 02:45:33 PM »

Im very limited on what kind of radio repairs I can do. Im sorry but even with 20/20 vision surface mount stuff I have no patience for. I can do old stuff but this new surface mount stuff gives me a migraine and a half.

I have here a kenwood tm-v7a dual band. Given to me and was told that the transceiver is 99% functional with the exception that there's no receive audio. Fine no big deal probably a bad cap or an audio chip issue. But I love people who sell radio equipment and they say it's 100% or this is messed up or blah blah blah and what they say is never the reality of the situation. So I fire this thing up and it's dead. No power nothing dead even with 13.9v coming in off the power supply. Fuses were good no blown fuse. But I took out my handy dandy fluke 77 multimeter(man I love that thing) and was testing some voltages on the inside of the radio where the power comes in and at various components. Every pin of the audio chip has voltage, voltage coming in at where the leads solder to the main board, this whole unit to me seems like the circuitry is fully functional and happy. But the radio will not turn on. I take the front faceplate off, clean the pins up with electrowash spray. That didn't help. I don't know a thing to save my life about surface mount stuff. It gives me a migraine to look at it. I can go into my ft-101 and say okay I can get this done. But this stuff eeeehhhh help!!  Lmao!!! Knowing someone who works on vhf/uhf equipment would be nice to know. I have some stuff that needs minor repairs besides this.
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:19:05 PM »

Im very limited on what kind of radio repairs I can do. Im sorry but even with 20/20 vision surface mount stuff I have no patience for. I can do old stuff but this new surface mount stuff gives me a migraine and a half.

I have here a kenwood tm-v7a dual band. Given to me and was told that the transceiver is 99% functional with the exception that there's no receive audio. Fine no big deal probably a bad cap or an audio chip issue. But I love people who sell radio equipment and they say it's 100% or this is messed up or blah blah blah and what they say is never the reality of the situation. So I fire this thing up and it's dead. No power nothing dead even with 13.9v coming in off the power supply. Fuses were good no blown fuse. But I took out my handy dandy fluke 77 multimeter(man I love that thing) and was testing some voltages on the inside of the radio where the power comes in and at various components. Every pin of the audio chip has voltage, voltage coming in at where the leads solder to the main board, this whole unit to me seems like the circuitry is fully functional and happy. But the radio will not turn on. I take the front faceplate off, clean the pins up with electrowash spray. That didn't help. I don't know a thing to save my life about surface mount stuff. It gives me a migraine to look at it. I can go into my ft-101 and say okay I can get this done. But this stuff eeeehhhh help!!  Lmao!!! Knowing someone who works on vhf/uhf equipment would be nice to know. I have some stuff that needs minor repairs besides this.

I entered the following words into Google;

vhf/uhf transceiver repair service

and a bunch of stuff comes up.
KI7PLD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:57:30 AM »

Aren't there SAM's available for Ham gear?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: