The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Yeasu 891  (Read 14452 times)
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »

Nothing about that antenna is good other than the convenience.

That's not true.  There are at least 2 things the ATAS is good for.  One is collecting rainwater, the other is establishing the lowest point screwdriver antenna performance is measured.

Roll Eyes

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KENNETH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 08:11:50 AM »

....FC-50 as it will only tune 3 to 1 and cost twice as much.  I went with the Z100Plus.....

Wow the FT-50 is only 3 to 1 for $300 bucks. The z100plus is 10 to 1. MFJ-939 is 32 to 1. Plenty of folks on youtube running the mfj-939/891 combo so i'd go with that.

So what is your tuning procedure for the z100 / 891 combo? Since its heavily menu driven, do you have to go in the menu, lower the power, change mode to cw or rtty, press z100 tune, then go back in the menu to change it all back to 100 watts ssb? Or with this combo do you simply press tune on the 891 face and it does it automatically? I see the LDG tuner cable is just a simple phono plug. Thanks in advance.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 09:16:28 AM »

No Holes.  Vehicle only has 2900 miles on it. Hasn't had it's first oil change yet. 3-4 years from now maybe. 

I just got done punching a nice 3/4 inch hole in the wife's Chrysler for a NMO mount..  Drill baby drill.  Center punch it first and don't look back.  Gawd, I love drilling holes in automobiles in the morning......it feels like "Victory".    Grin
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 09:19:55 AM »

....FC-50 as it will only tune 3 to 1 and cost twice as much.  I went with the Z100Plus.....

Wow the FT-50 is only 3 to 1 for $300 bucks. The z100plus is 10 to 1. MFJ-939 is 32 to 1. Plenty of folks on youtube running the mfj-939/891 combo so i'd go with that.

So what is your tuning procedure for the z100 / 891 combo? Since its heavily menu driven, do you have to go in the menu, lower the power, change mode to cw or rtty, press z100 tune, then go back in the menu to change it all back to 100 watts ssb? Or with this combo do you simply press tune on the 891 face and it does it automatically? I see the LDG tuner cable is just a simple phono plug. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about one interfaced with a cable, but at worst with no communication from rig to tuner.  Just go into the menu one time and set your AM power at 5 watts. Done.  Now when you want to tune, press and hold the band button which will take you to mode. spin the VFO knob to go to AM, wait 3 seconds then key down with 5 watts of AM.  When done tuning, press and hold the band button again, spin the VFO to SSB, wait 3 seconds and start talking.  It takes more time to type this by far than it does to do it.
KENNETH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 09:35:50 AM »

K0UA, what antenna tuner are you talking about with (i assume) your FT-891?
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 12:11:09 PM »

I use the little LDG Z11pro2

Here is what I like about it.  it is small, lightweight,uses no power after it is tuned, so it runs off of an internal battery pack of AAA batteries that last about a year in average use.  It is rated for 125 watts SSB and CW but wont run that on digital if the match is severe.  They rate it no more than 30.  I have run it at 100 on digital, but make sure the SWR is not really that far off.  It can get hot in a hurry if it is. It does not require any cable other than coax and works with any brand of radio. Just give it a little RF and it takes off and tunes, and remembers your particular frequency and antenna so it instantly tunes next time.

Some people consider them unreliable and badmouth them. But I have used the heck out of mine and it still works great.  I did do one thing since I use the internal batteries, and that was to install a power switch on the back to disconnect the battery pack.

Because once in a great while the unit will become confused when you try to tune an extremely bad load.  Like for instance your 6 meter vertical antenna on 40 meters.  Yeah, I have done some boneheaded moves like that a couple of times. What happens the tuner will "hang" and requires a reboot.  Unless you are powering it from the rear power connector, you have to take out the 4 screws to get inside to disconnect the battery connector.  So I installed a series switch so I could disconnect the batteries so it would reboot.  If you power it from the rear power connector of course just pull the plug and plug it back in.

Overall I am very pleased with the little unit

http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/21/9/1
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 04:52:44 AM »

My luck with the LDG tuner sounds like that of KU0A. I've had it for more than five years, now. 95% of the time, it works flawlessly. The other 5% is usually due to my trying to get it to do something impossible, like trying to tune a short wire on 160m with an SSB signal. Sometimes it'll pick up some stray RF, when the UHF antenna is too close, but overall, it's a solid unit.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »

Here is a thread over on another forum that about midway through, it details my addition of the switch on the back panel with some good photos.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/375802-9-1-unun-random-wire.html?highlight=tuner
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 10:06:01 AM »

No Holes.  Vehicle only has 2900 miles on it. Hasn't had it's first oil change yet. 3-4 years from now maybe.  

I just got done punching a nice 3/4 inch hole in the wife's Chrysler for a NMO mount..  Drill baby drill.  Center punch it first and don't look back.  Gawd, I love drilling holes in automobiles in the morning......it feels like "Victory".    Grin

Totally agree.
A car isn't mine until it has an NMO mount drilled into the center of the roof,
and it has my call sign license plates on it. Within 2 weeks of purchase,
(sooner if I can do it) that car gets a date at commercial 2-way radio shop
to have the NMO mount installed properly.

I hesitated drilling holes for many years. Worried about resale value, etc.
I used mag mounts, through the glass antennas, etc. They worked OK.

But once I drilled that first one, I was sold. Why did I hesitate so long?
It's a cleaner install, less interior clutter, lower noise floor, just works
better all around. And at trade in time, I've never had a dealer think
twice about that little nub in the center of the roof. (NMO mount with
a screw on rain cap) I friend of mine did once, and when asked what
it was, he told them it was a mount for an outside cell phone antenna.
Dealer gave him an extra $50 on the trade for a cellular mount.

One caveat. I only do VHF/UHF mobile, because I think an HF rig in the
car is too much of a distraction while driving. So I can't give advice for
running HF mobile.

Have fun!

73 de N8AUC
Eric
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:10:18 AM by N8AUC » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 12:50:39 PM »

By the way, when I drill those big beautiful holes in automobiles, I always put a magnet in a ziplock bag and put it next to the intended hole to soak up the metal shavings, and you can also dip it into the hole  to suck out the metal shavings too.  The reason for cleaning up the metal is so they do not stay there and rust or get into crevices or mouldings and rust. The significance of the bag is so when you take the bag to the trash can, carefully open the ziplock, and reach in with one hand and grab the magnet, and then reverse pull the bag and the shavings off into the trash can.  That way the shavings don't contaminate the magnet. You wind up with a clean magnet for use next time.

Make sure you are using a sharp pilot bit in your holesaw as you don't want it to skate on your center punched spot.  That ain't good if it skates beyond what your NMO mount will cover.  Enjoy that crunch of breaking through your sheetmetal, knowing you will have a very superior mount.  If you significant other comes out and screams you can enjoy that too!   Smiley

That reminds me: When asked what is best in life, Conan the Barbarian said. "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women"

Conan didn't mention drilling holes in shiney sheet metal, but it ranks right up there.  Smiley
KENNETH

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 01:53:58 PM »

Appreciate all your info and link k0ua  Smiley looks like a great setup.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2017, 07:13:30 PM »

I friend of mine did once, and when asked what
it was, he told them it was a mount for an outside cell phone antenna.
Dealer gave him an extra $50 on the trade for a cellular mount.

Now that is funny!, I don't care who you are... Smiley
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 05:28:42 AM »

Here is what I like about it.  it is small, lightweight,uses no power after it is tuned, so it runs off of an internal battery pack of AAA batteries that last about a year in average use.  It is rated for 125 watts SSB and CW but wont run that on digital if the match is severe.  They rate it no more than 30.  I have run it at 100 on digital, but make sure the SWR is not really that far off.  It can get hot in a hurry if it is. It does not require any cable other than coax and works with any brand of radio. Just give it a little RF and it takes off and tunes, and remembers your particular frequency and antenna so it instantly tunes next time.

Some people consider them unreliable and badmouth them. But I have used the heck out of mine and it still works great.  I did do one thing since I use the internal batteries, and that was to install a power switch on the back to disconnect the battery pack.

Because once in a great while the unit will become confused when you try to tune an extremely bad load.  Like for instance your 6 meter vertical antenna on 40 meters.  Yeah, I have done some boneheaded moves like that a couple of times. What happens the tuner will "hang" and requires a reboot.  Unless you are powering it from the rear power connector, you have to take out the 4 screws to get inside to disconnect the battery connector.  So I installed a series switch so I could disconnect the batteries so it would reboot.  If you power it from the rear power connector of course just pull the plug and plug it back in.

OK.  I am confused a little bit.  Not surprised at age 71.  In my nifty manual for the 891 it goes thru the procedure.  Press F-1 to go to that screen rotate the multi knob to point to tuner.  Press the multi knob for 1 second to start the tuning process. It does not start.  Now for the instructions from the Z-100+.   I am using a Z-100 plus LDG tuner.  Select AM,FM, CW and key the transmitter. Push and hold the tune button for 1 second and release.  I have been using this method to tune the antenna.  

Here is my question.  Do I turn back the power to 10-20 watts before I do that or just use the default (100 watts).  The radio and the tuner are connected with the proper cable.  On my other rigs, it automatically cuts it back to 10 watts.  

KB4OIF
John
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 06:16:05 AM »

Here is what I like about it.  it is small, lightweight,uses no power after it is tuned, so it runs off of an internal battery pack of AAA batteries that last about a year in average use.  It is rated for 125 watts SSB and CW but wont run that on digital if the match is severe.  They rate it no more than 30.  I have run it at 100 on digital, but make sure the SWR is not really that far off.  It can get hot in a hurry if it is. It does not require any cable other than coax and works with any brand of radio. Just give it a little RF and it takes off and tunes, and remembers your particular frequency and antenna so it instantly tunes next time.

Some people consider them unreliable and badmouth them. But I have used the heck out of mine and it still works great.  I did do one thing since I use the internal batteries, and that was to install a power switch on the back to disconnect the battery pack.

Because once in a great while the unit will become confused when you try to tune an extremely bad load.  Like for instance your 6 meter vertical antenna on 40 meters.  Yeah, I have done some boneheaded moves like that a couple of times. What happens the tuner will "hang" and requires a reboot.  Unless you are powering it from the rear power connector, you have to take out the 4 screws to get inside to disconnect the battery connector.  So I installed a series switch so I could disconnect the batteries so it would reboot.  If you power it from the rear power connector of course just pull the plug and plug it back in.

OK.  I am confused a little bit.  Not surprised at age 71.  In my nifty manual for the 891 it goes thru the procedure.  Press F-1 to go to that screen rotate the multi knob to point to tuner.  Press the multi knob for 1 second to start the tuning process. It does not start.  Now for the instructions from the Z-100+.   I am using a Z-100 plus LDG tuner.  Select AM,FM, CW and key the transmitter. Push and hold the tune button for 1 second and release.  I have been using this method to tune the antenna.  

Here is my question.  Do I turn back the power to 10-20 watts before I do that or just use the default (100 watts).  The radio and the tuner are connected with the proper cable.  On my other rigs, it automatically cuts it back to 10 watts.  

KB4OIF
John

Wind the power down, better safe than sorry.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »

I always tune My z11pro2 with just 5 watts. On the ft891 I have the AM power set to 5 watts.  I don't use AM for anything anyway, and I don't mind limiting its output power to the 5 watts in the menu setting.  And of course If I wanted to run it back up, it is just a menu change away. 
So I just go into the mode change by pressing and holding the band button on the 891 and spin the vfo to AM and let it go into AM mode, then just key up, and the autotuner automatically goes into tune.  If it is on a remembered antenna and frequency it tunes instantly. If it is new to the tuner then it can take up to about 5 seconds or so. 

I figure it is easier on the tuner and its relays to tune with lower power rather than switching contacts at full power. 

Once it is tuned, then go back to SSB or CW and you will be at full power.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: