The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YAESU FT-1000 radio with Signalink USB  (Read 2183 times)
KG6STS

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2017, 05:45:59 AM »

I am purchasing a YAESU FT-1000 today.  I want to use a SIGNALINK USB (and HRD 6.X) to enjoy RTTY, PSK, JT-65, JT9 and FT-8 digital modes (not necessarily in that order).

What is the best method to connect the Signalink to the FT-1000?  Which (specific) interface port on the Radio should be used?  Are there menu settings on the radio that must be
configured in a specific manner so digital modes will work?

I have seen several forum posts on this topic, but none seemed to definitively answer the question.

Note: My call sign has been changed to N1LID.  My e-mail address is good on QRZ.com, feel free to e-mail me directly if desired.

73 DE N1LID

(Yes, I purposely selected that call sign)

KG5AHC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 06:49:15 PM »

I don't have this radio and I don't have a Signalink, but from what I have been reading, for digital modes, you should use the "packet" data port, but set the radio to use upper sideband packet.  MK V FT1000MP user manual:

For most operation, you will want to use the PS31U (for PKT mode) or PS31-SU (for USB mode) options under “East Set;” while BPSK operation is not sideband-sensitive, QPSK operation, by convention, utilizes USB-side injection. The “User” mode is accessed, during operation, by pressing and holding in for ½ second the [PKT] mode switch.

Not too sure about the PTT part of it... I think It should be able to PTT from the CAT interface cable... if not, then you'd have to create an isolated PTT-COM port interface cable and tell HRD to use com port PTT  I read that the Signalink is capable of VOX PTT so maybe that mode can be used instead.

If you want to use the "packet" data port for packet data, then do not set it for PS31-SU (as you may know, packet is a LSB mode)  Like me, you may choose to run run packet software like UZ7HO SoundModem... you will need to provide isolated PTT-Com port interface cable (soundmodem does not use CAT rig control)....   

Switching the radio between Packet LSB and Digital USB ought to be pretty easy, just don't run HRD and your Packet software at the same time !

Furthermore... you can use the RTTY port for FSK RTTY... into another soundcard (i.e. Signalink, Rigblaster, or PC)... but the FSK keying will be additional (isolated) cable to the PC for FSK control... I run RTTY FSK with my ICOM 7200 and MMTTY software.

#1 recommendation I have is make sure connections between radio and PC are isolated, including GND pins and Audio lines.

I am sure I have made some recommendations here that might prompt some additional comments for you.

73 and good luck
Jeff KG5AHC

W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:32:08 AM »

I bought the Signal Link for my 1000 series radio and oddly, Tigertronics requires you to interface into the packet port on the rear of the radio (even if you are running RTTY). I run MTTY software and it works fine but would prefer to run FSK for packet but the signal link doesn't work that way.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 07:41:22 AM »

Exactly which model of the FT1000 are you talking about?
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »

The SignaLink is an AFSK adapter; as far as I know, it does not work as an FSK adapter. That is why it uses the packet port. I use a SignaLink USB with my Yaesu FT-891 and it works just fine for AFSK. Give it a try!

Will Rogers
K5WLR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: