The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VK9MA Mellish Reef  (Read 15341 times)
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »

I worked them on 15m FT8 last night but nothing has shown up in the log so maybe it was a pirate.

I also worked them on FT8 15M (and 20M) but both have not shown up in their log.  I don't think it was a pirate.  I wonder if their FT8 log requires a "73" exchange to be valid?

FT8 doesn't require it, but a few operators are sticklers and won't log a QSO unless "73"s are exchanged.  The DXpedition guys do not require this for the most part.  Really in CW/SSB/RTTY all you need to do is exchange call signs anyway (since with DXpeditions the exchange is 59/599).  With FT8, I generally see the exchange of signal reports (requiring one RRR) as being good enough.  I believe K1JT is working on a Fox/Hound version of FT8, designed for DXpeditions to greatly increase QSO rate but streamlining a lot of this stuff including QSOs with multiple people at once (since WSJT can decode many at once).
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »

Worked them on 20CW in spite of the poor propagation from NE Illinois.  What surprised me was the lack of poor ops TXing on their calling freq and the usual other BS that goes on.  Perhaps the twits were elsewhere bothering someone else.

The twits throw themselves at the African DXpeditions. They got all worn out from 3C0L/3C1L and whatever they have left is being expended against 9U4M.

When there's no dxpedition on phone, the twits will go to CW and QRM those operations (usually by being unable to correctly key FU, UP, and LID). But when 9U4M is on phone the twits CANNOT RESIST.

And when the DXpeditions are on CW, there will be numerous "spots" of "How about SSB?"   "How about 160m SSTV?" 

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2017, 12:48:29 AM »

grabbed them today on ft8   2 replies from him initial report then rr73 quick and easy like fish in a barrel they were +3 here
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2017, 02:36:07 AM »

Easily worked on 40 ssb this morning.  That is, once I got past them working Japan.   "Booming signal."  Then they started listening for North America. 

N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2017, 07:17:01 AM »

I'm still in need of a RTTY Q?

Obie N5VYS
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2017, 03:02:37 AM »

Congratulations to the team on a FB expedition.
I managed to tick off the bands and mode needed.
Wishing you a smooth and uneventful voyage to land and back home.
Luke VK3HJ
KB8GAE

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2017, 05:34:48 AM »

I had a lot of fun working VK9MA with 100 watts and a wire.

Thanks Lasse, SM5GLC, and the team, for putting in the time, money, and labor to activate Mellish Reef.

Your efforts are much appreciated!

73's Rich KB8GAE
SM5GLC

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »

Wow what a trip! Finally safe back at an a/c cooled hotel room in Port Douglas.
This was a journey beyond expectations!!!

Of course we had problems, especially high noise on 80 meters, which turned out to be one of the Honda generators. Changing that for a chinese 3.5kVA generator, putting up a DHDL and move the vertical away from the camp did improve.

On 160 we had a Titanex plus 4 phased rx verticals for receive. The Titanex almost bent down to the ground when high winds snapped the guy wire. Magically we managed to save it and get it back up. We dubbed this the Viagara antenna.

On landing at the reef, we lost one of the computers, meaning we had to revert to a back-up for one of the four op tents. Apparently this computer had issues on connecting to the wifi net, and hence this meant we had to manually merge the log. This is the explanation of QSOs not showing up, and then magically show  a day later. Apologizes for this. We managed to find another computer to replace this, and got the station up on our wi-fi net.

Biggest problem turned out to be the sun and the solar storms. Not much we could do about that.

Last part of the stay at Mellish we had very strong winds and showers every now and then.
Trip back on the boat, had most of us suffer a bit sea sickness, and thanks for the behind-the-ears plaster Smiley

If someone has questions on the expedition I'll do try to do my best to answer. I am sure the "full" story will appear in most ham magazines in due time.

Now for some R&R before going back to the cold and snowy Scandinavia

VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2017, 04:16:28 AM »

So pleased to read you are all back safely on the mainland.

You had some interesting issues to deal with. It's all about adapting and innovating to overcome obstacles. Problems will always appear. The experience of the team made good.

All the best for your journeys home.
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2017, 05:28:33 AM »

great activation glad your back safe thanks for letting the vk's jump the que you made some  non dx'er enjoy the excitement of working a new one. enjoy the rest
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »

Congrats to the team and glad all back on terra firma.  Safe travels the rest of the way home to all.

My only question would be what were the team's impressions of the whole FT8 experience?
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2017, 09:00:07 AM »

Thank you for your efforts!   Great job by all!   

Tom, N2SR

SM5GLC

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2017, 05:44:20 PM »

Congrats to the team and glad all back on terra firma.  Safe travels the rest of the way home to all.

My only question would be what were the team's impressions of the whole FT8 experience?
Well, the FT8 was the back-up for RTTY and when condx were poor. I did not do any FT8 but spent 6 hour doing RTTY. Infact I could keep the rates on RTTY at the same pace as CW. Personally I find FT8 a bit boring.
W6QW

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »

Thank you guys.  Great operator skills.  Your pain and suffering allowed the rest of us to enjoy contacts with you from the comfort of our homes.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2017, 10:55:12 AM »

Thank you guys.  Great operator skills.  Your pain and suffering allowed the rest of us to enjoy contacts with you from the comfort of our homes.

Homes ? How about my Chevy pickup truck ? hihi
All HF Q's made by me are from the pickup with the vertical screwdriver antenna.

73 N5UD /M
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: