The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what would you take to Puerto Rico for three weeks of fun in the sun?  (Read 3445 times)
KC9PWT

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2017, 10:33:22 AM »

ok what would be the equipment that you would want to  take with you to Puerto Rico,   i would give you a 150 lb weight limit, your 2 radios one hf and one vhf/uhf, and laptop would be carry on so they dont  count in the total weight, you will be there for three weeks and will need to operate self contained with food resupply.

two categories 1. commo gear-power-antennas and cables, and 2. self support items you will be provided shelter and food everything else is on you, water, first aid any other equipment you think you would require.

have at it i would like to hear your ideas .

alex
VE6FGN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 12:38:38 PM »

You'll never get an accurate answer.

The more times you deploy, the less you take. There's a reason the Military has kit lists- they are there to ensure that the new guys, who have limited experience, have everything they could possibly need.

Add in expectations: no disrespect to the younger generation, but the old guys expectations tend to be a lot lower- again, requiring less "stuff".

My last job (on scene commander emergency response) involved being on standby to deploy locally. We would be replaced after 24 hours on scene. Most of the young guys had a backpack and duffle bag of gear as their standby kit- I had a parka with two packs of cigarettes.

We both did the same job, to same standards- but had different requirements.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 02:13:01 PM »

Assuming you can get safe drinking water on-site, 3 Weeks of MREs will weigh in at about 94 lbs.  You will need a couple of sturdy bags to carry the MREs, etc. in - that will take up about 11 pounds.  A one-person backpacking tent is about 4 pounds and a lightweight sleeping bag weighs in a 1.5 pounds and a foam ground pad at 2 pounds.  We are at 112.5 pounds.  Add on personal hygiene items, a first-aid kit, spare shoes and clothing.  Cell phone and charger, some reading material, laundry detergent, etc.  You are bumping hard on the 150 pound limit.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 02:34:37 PM »

A sherpa to carry all the stuff.
Art
W0AEW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 03:30:52 PM »

A sherpa to carry all the stuff.
Art

And another to carry the ham?

--Another Art
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 05:31:59 AM »

what would you take to Puerto Rico for three weeks of fun in the sun?

Well, nothing to do with ham radio.  My 'baggage' would be female, slim, and about half my age....
KC9PWT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 12:24:13 PM »

why would yo pack something that you is readily available on site.

alex
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »

what would you take to Puerto Rico for three weeks of fun in the sun?

Well, nothing to do with ham radio.  My 'baggage' would be female, slim, and about half my age....
  To help you with emergency communications?   Roll Eyes
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »

Bug repellent for the screaming meemies that come out at dusk.  They are invisible critters with tiger teeth that hurt like h***.    Oh, and sun block for the daytime.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 04:10:15 AM »

I'd take 150 lbs of gear and pack it in a RV with air conditioning and a generator...  Roll Eyes
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 08:17:34 AM »

Cool A beautiful woman.  That's all I need for fun in the sun.  The heck with the ham equipment!

Ku4UV
KG7LEA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 09:32:10 AM »

It is unreasonable for volunteers to be expected to completely self support out-of-town for three weeks. Such a deployment will require additional logistic support. The Red Cross has been doing this for volunteers for quite some time.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »

It is unreasonable for volunteers to be expected to completely self support out-of-town for three weeks. Such a deployment will require additional logistic support. The Red Cross has been doing this for volunteers for quite some time.

A sailboat with supplies and a satphone, stuff that will work iow...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: