The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT8 while portable for SOTA/POTA/WWFF??  (Read 4894 times)
KC2IFH

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:49:07 PM »

Hi guys,

I am getting back into radio after a few years break and I am looking to combine two hobbies, hiking and radio. I want to be able to activate some summits or parks while out hiking on FT8 or other digital modes.

Setup will be my KX2, Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet and antenna du jour. I have the KX2 and tablet all setup and running FT8 from home and have it working no problem. My question relates to how to setup the exchange for working portable and sending out the summit identifier or park identifier.

All the macros seem to be canned macros and I am unable to find a way to edit them or what the standard convention would be as to not break the flow of the QSO.

Has anyone worked at his mode while doing something like this? Any advice on how to structure the QSO or change the macros is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Alex
KC2IFH
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 06:55:42 AM »

I looked at this too and from an FT -8 standpoint, I didn't find an answer, other than using the "FREE MSG" option.
that still doesn't address the actual content of the exchange.

There is no info on the WWFF site either.   https://wwff-kff.com/

there is a vague reference with little actual info on the SOTA reflector site https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjUm_vzpfXWAhVn4IMKHQIoDZEQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Freflector.sota.org.uk%2Ft%2Fdatamode-ft8%2F15677&usg=AOvVaw1GSwlV9N6oIvN_rnnozHbV

IMO, any standardization of exchanges should come from WWFF and  SOTA to avoid multiple and/or confusing exchanges.

This FT-8 and WWFF usage could be a great combination.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:04:00 AM by ND6M » Logged
KC2IFH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 08:25:49 AM »

I found the same thread on the SOTA reflector that didn't provide much insight. I also started a thread on the Amateur Radio subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/76qacu/ft8_while_portable_for_sotapotawwff_s/ and was told about the free msg option, and also the the idenitfier at least for WWFF/POTA is not needed in the exchange.

I am going to be out there this weekend and give it a shot and see what I can come up with.

If I get any more ideas or answers somewhere else I will be sure to post them here as well.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 04:43:36 PM »

I found the same thread on the SOTA reflector that didn't provide much insight. I also started a thread on the Amateur Radio subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/76qacu/ft8_while_portable_for_sotapotawwff_s/ and was told about the free msg option, and also the the idenitfier at least for WWFF/POTA is not needed in the exchange.

I am going to be out there this weekend and give it a shot and see what I can come up with.

If I get any more ideas or answers somewhere else I will be sure to post them here as well.

The confusion started by calling the standard messages macros, they are not macros, and cannot be edited. Macros, in WSJT-X, can only be used as a Free msg, and has a 13 character limit. Many macros can be saved as Free msg, and selected from the Free msg pull down menu. To edit them, go to File>Settings>TX Macros.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 05:24:47 PM »

The general message can be edited in Tx1 tab 2. In other words you can change the message to something like QRZ AA2UK FM29 from CQ AA2UK FM29.
Bill AA2UK
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 05:32:21 PM »

The general message can be edited in Tx1 tab 2. In other words you can change the message to something like QRZ AA2UK FM29 from CQ AA2UK FM29.
Bill AA2UK

Yes,I have seen CQ's worded similar to: CQ SOTA ND6M
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 05:36:32 PM »

Bill AA2UK

I can see that tab 1 messages can be changed, but it's still not a macro, and I'm not sure what the QSO sequence would be like. Editing and sequencing every box in tab 1 will require a lot of attention and speed.

On tab 2, the Gen msg is not a macro, as it cannot be saved, and the same attention and speed, will be required for a QSO.

Doable on JT65, not so easy on FT8.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:43:38 PM by VA3VF » Logged
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 05:57:35 PM »

... and was told about the free msg option, and also the the idenitfier at least for WWFF/POTA is not needed in the exchange...

well, that just doesn't make any sense.

how does any one get any "credits" for working your activation without a park number?

from the WWFF website:
"When CQ-ing it is of course important to mention the park reference…"

Gooood Luck
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 06:04:37 PM »

... and was told about the free msg option, and also the the idenitfier at least for WWFF/POTA is not needed in the exchange...

well, that just doesn't make any sense.

how does any one get any "credits" for working your activation without a park number?

from the WWFF website:
"When CQ-ing it is of course important to mention the park reference…"

Gooood Luck

I think the identifier mentioned, as not needed, is the grid.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:06:50 PM by VA3VF » Logged
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »

Bill AA2UK

I can see that tab 1 messages can be changed, but it's still not a macro, and I'm not sure what the QSO sequence would be like. Editing and sequencing every box in tab 1 will require a lot of attention and speed.

On tab 2, the Gen msg is not a macro, as it cannot be saved, and the same attention and speed, will be required for a QSO.

Did I say it was a Macro?
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 06:23:21 PM »

Bill AA2UK

Did I say it was a Macro?

No, but that's how the thread started, and I kept using the same term. Sorry about my mistake, I did not mean to offend. End of thread for me. All the best.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 02:36:00 AM »

No offense taken......
Bill, AA2UK
WM6Q

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 01:38:55 PM »

How do you maintain the correct time when working portable if you don't have an internet connection?
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »

A Smartphone w/ a connected browser is one possibility.
Using a rig with GPSDO.
Bill, AA2UK
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »

How do you maintain the correct time when working portable if you don't have an internet connection?

Buy an $8 USB GPS receiver dongle on eBay. Download and install BktTimeSync.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: